HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and am happy to be here!

For a couple of years now, since buying my first simi-auto pistol, I have been bitten hard by the "gun bug" not realizing what an addicting hobby this would turn into. I've had experience with a few different service pistol platforms and have always wanted to have my first HK, which finally became reality yesterday afternoon as a local gentleman had this USP 9mm for sale privately. He told me that he didn't shoot it much, and it shows. Included was the pistol, box, manual and (3) magazines. We agreed on $620 and I'm really happy to now own it and get acquainted with it!

I didn't realize initially how old it is. The serial number is 24-11354 with a date code of KE, which from what I learned last night cruising this forum means that it's from 1994, which makes sense by the "Clinton Ban - Restricted Law Enforcement" marking on the magazines, stamped 10-94. The pistol shows very minimal wear.

From what I can tell too, my pistol would be considered a Variant 3, being that it has only a decocker, on the left side of the frame....does this sound right? Most of the used USP's that I've looked at have a safety/decocker combo....is my "decocker only" variation common?

From what I've read, 1994 was a transitional year, where HK went from traditional barrel rifling to Polygonal rifling.......Off hand, I'm not sure which version I have, but would traditional rifling be undesirable?

Are there any "quirks" or things specific to this model/variation that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any education!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Nothing wrong with traditional rifling. Its been used for decades w/o any problems by almost every gun maker in the world. Shoot the crap out of it.

If you don't like the Variant that you have it can be changed over to whatever you want for just a few dollars.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the HK obsession. :)

There's no such thing as a "bad" USP. :)

Variant 3 isn't very common, but as has been said, one beautiful thing about the USP is the easy with which the variant can be changed to suit your taste. Only significant thing I'm aware of with the older USPs is that the firing pin and firing pin block were redesigned about a decade later to be a bit stronger. Shouldn't be an issue unless you do a lot of dry firing without snap caps. Use snap caps, and shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You are correct sir and welcome aboard! You have been fatally bitten by HK! My first USP 40 just broke the 14,000 round count mark and is still spitting shells out. They are also some of the "softest" shooting pistols around! Good Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a USPc and a p2000 but I still want a full size usp 9 and an hk p30. You can't not go wrong with an hk esp USP IMO -- I am pretty jealous of your full size now because my wife would have my head if I tried to purchase another hk (got to give it some time). Congrats on the purchase and have fun feeding her !!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Good i love the USP's, such a tank lol. Congrats budd!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
First Post and HK...your off to a great start!! Welcome aboard...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys!! I'm really excited about this pistol, admiring them for quite some time now, being part of this forum and learning about the world of HK. Now I'm just anxious to get some rounds through it and get acquainted.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That's a fine looking starter there! And a Variant 3 to boot!

The Variant 3 isn't 'scarce' but its also not as common as Variant 1s...the safety isn't a huge issue if you keep your finger off the bang switch as you should! As stated here conversion between variants isn't too difficult or expensive--research using search and you will be in good hands

As for the rifling question; it really makes a big difference in 3 things...1) ammo types-if you reload your own ammo, having traditional rifling is a bonus since you can fire cast lead bullets without worry-they are cheaper and offer a few advantages to the handloader....polygonal rifling is not cast bulllet compatible (I know some still shoot cast out of polygonal barrels but bullet makers frown upon it) stick to FMJs/HP or plated bullets and you're golden...

2) Polygonal rifling is easier to keep clean with minimal chemical intervention--the profiling makes brushes more effective and keeps things a lot less frustrating to maintain
3) Polygonal rifling lasts longer than traditional rifling...it can take thousands more rounds and still be accurate....

Hope it helps...welcome to the dark side, our kool aid tastes better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts