HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bud's prices sure look attractive at $1200, however its really only attractive compared to past prices. If anyone but HK sold a 10rd .45 carbine for $1200, sales would be near zero.

Do you think prices will rebound once the surplus dries up or will everyone who wants an USC have one by the time the surplus runs out.

Understand mag availability for UMP conversions is a real problem.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Buds has less than 50. AviatorDave was able to get less than 20. It's not like there are tons of them floating around.

As for a .45 Carbine for $1200, check out the KRISS Vector. It's sproting a $1700 price tag, but it does allow for more than 10 rounds.

But, it's not HK quality.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well, there's not a whole lot of options out there when it comes to pistol-caliber carbines, much less one that shoots a .45ACP. Your choices that are somewhat readily available are pretty much the KRISS Super V, the Beretta CX4 Storm (barf), or Hi-Point (apparently pretty good but I can't get over the looks or the cheap quality). But H&K is H&K and that's why I went with the USC. Now that I think of it, I think I should have gone ahead and sprung for the KRISS as the sunk cost I have in accessories for the USC (and I don't even have it in my grubby paws yet!) is sitting at $1700 now and I'm still not done.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
No intention of starting any bashing of the Kriss but I wouldn't buy one as you can't eject live rounds without removing the mag.
That said i'm happy with my UMP conversion. I doubt however the USC will be a collectors item any time soon.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Maybe if HK stops making them... Then maybe in 5 to 10 years it could be, depending on demand. It is tough to gauge collectability in a modern production firearm. I still say buy one. Shoot it, take good care of it, and enjoy. Perhaps it will be collectable, if not, you have a fun gun to enjoy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Converting a USC into a UMP clone should make it more collectible than a stock USC. I bought my USC to do just that. Having a stock USC seems pointless to me, just my 2 cents.
And the mag availability problem might be going away; as discussed in other posts they are on "backorder". Hopefully, this is the case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When HK stopped importing the original gray USCs a few years ago my shop had 6 of them that we couldn't give away. We finally sold them off for $600 each. Soon thereafter the ban went away and prices went up but USCs could still be had for a while under $1000. The spike in prices seemed to be right when HK began to re-import them and set the new retail prices at $1500 or so. I don't see the gray ones gaining in value for at least 10 more years and the black probably wont see much appreciation unitl about 5-10 years after they stop making them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Haha, but everybody treats the gray USC's like they're the gingers of the HK world :12:
They have no souls? :wink:

With no new grey ones being made and a lot of the grey ones being dyed black, there are going to be a lot less of them than the black ones.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A USC is only worth it if you are going to do the UMP conversion IMO. I mean a 10 round mag for a pistol rifle? Come on HK. WTF is that? Semi auto hand guns carry more rounds than that. Once you do the UMP conversion that 16" barrel sure looks retarded so might as well SBR that thing and create a semi auto civilian UMP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No intention of starting any bashing of the Kriss but I wouldn't buy one as you can't eject live rounds without removing the mag.
That said i'm happy with my UMP conversion. I doubt however the USC will be a collectors item any time soon.
yes, ive read on other sites that there are issues with the KRISS, including the one mentioned above. aside from that, they are a pretty unique look/design and seem to be very accurate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looking at gunbroker, its amazing how much they went for just a couple months ago... amazing you had to blow them out for $600 back in the day.

Steyr had a tough time selling 1800 Augs for $1800-$1900 in fully capable assault rifle configuration. 70 odd USCs in a neutered state might keep the market happy for a long time.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
A USC is only worth it if you are going to do the UMP conversion IMO. I mean a 10 round mag for a pistol rifle? Come on HK. WTF is that? Semi auto hand guns carry more rounds than that. Once you do the UMP conversion that 16" barrel sure looks retarded so might as well SBR that thing and create a semi auto civilian UMP.
I can't believe people are still making it out like it's HK's fault for the redesigns to the USC. The carbine was designed in the late 90s during the assault weapon ban period and the only way the gubment would allow the it to be imported is that it have a longer barrel, no pistol grip (only "thumbhole") and 10-mag maximum capacity. Even though the AWB was allowed to sunset during Bush Jr.'s tenure in 2004, it was not economical for HK to revise and reintroduce the USC.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's not the unavoidable things that people are complaining about it's the fact that HK put little effort into making the thing attractive to the buyers. Personally I think if they'd have made the effort to make the thumb hole stock remotely comfortable to hold, shipped it with a top rail, and offered 40/9mm conversion kits they would have dominated the market even during the ban. The simple fact of the matter though is that the stock feels like you're trying to shoot a 2x10, the factory sights aren't that great and rails are stupid over priced, and even when ammo was still cheap .45 was expensive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Artillery Lugar = rare

Anything made by HK.... Not really that rare.

I bet I'd you ordered 20,000 .40 HK P7s they would build em! So much for rare!

Sent from my iPhone 😡
(I'd rather be at the range trying to wear out my Not-LNIB gun collection.... Let's call it a BTS Beat To **** collection)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe if HK stops making them... Then maybe in 5 to 10 years it could be, depending on demand. It is tough to gauge collectability in a modern production firearm. I still say buy one. Shoot it, take good care of it, and enjoy. Perhaps it will be collectable, if not, you have a fun gun to enjoy.
Most collectibles are significantly older than 5-10 years. It's more likely that you won't see it become worth the financial investment in your lifetime. Most people who find a gun to be collectible, are those that have inherited them. They typically don't become collectible during their normal life expectancy. I couldn't agree more with the idea of get it and shoot it if you like the gun. If you want a financial investment in your gunsafe, get some gold bars or investment bonds and put them next to your shooters.
I mean a 10 round mag for a pistol rifle? Come on HK. WTF is that? Semi auto hand guns carry more rounds than that.
You are pointing your fingers in the wrong direction. ATF import regulations are in play, not some ignorance of the market from HKs perspective.
It's not the unavoidable things that people are complaining about it's the fact that HK put little effort into making the thing attractive to the buyers. Personally I think if they'd have made the effort to make the thumb hole stock remotely comfortable to hold, shipped it with a top rail, and offered 40/9mm conversion kits they would have dominated the market even during the ban. The simple fact of the matter though is that the stock feels like you're trying to shoot a 2x10, the factory sights aren't that great and rails are stupid over priced, and even when ammo was still cheap .45 was expensive.
Honestly, I think that the USC stock is one of the best attempts at making a thumbhole comfortable, while still being ambidextrous (being a lefty, I have to appreciate that aspect). If you think that one is bad, you really need to try an older gray SL8. As for rails, not everyone everyone wants them. .45? While I certainly agree that it shouldn't be the only option, HK did do their homework on that one. The U.S. market has a love affair with the .45acp cartridge. If they made this for the European market, it would definitely be in 9mm. Also, the 45 can always be scaled down for .40 and 9mm. when people do their conversions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts