HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 2nd USP. It's a V3 agnecy trade-in USP Compact 40S&W; I can't believe the deal I got ... less than 50% of the current market value of a new USPc 40 and it probably has had less than 1000 rounds through it. Strange as things go, it's the same year as my USPf 45 that I bought back in 1998.

So I'm wondering, what parts do I need to use to transform it into a V1 configuration? Basically I want to "add" a safety to the Control Lever. I was looking on HK Parts but it was not clear to me what I needed to buy to do this. Oh, and in adding the safety I also want to add ambi-control-levers. I assume I can get all those parts at the same time and just mix what I need to make it all what I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15-5

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
It's the $8 V1/V2 detent plate. You can swap it out in about the same time it takes to read this note.

BUT why would you want to do this? To you intend to carry cocked-and-locked? Probably not and even if you're a M1911 guy you'll find the lever configuration clumsy in this configuration.

But even if you decock and don't safe the pistol to carry it you must still depress the safety anyway during the draw stroke to ensure Mr. Murphy didn't safe it. He only does this at 0200 in a dark parking lot, never on the range! But you must unsafe it every time just in case. Skip this at your peril. Since you must keep your thumb on top of any safety lever to be sure it's Off some (many?) find they occasionally decock the pistol during recoil. Why bother. The safety adds no safety to the pistol, it still won't fire unless you pull the trigger.

V3 is just decock. The pistol is ready to fire instantly without depressing anything. Just draw and pull the trigger. Simple and fool proof. You can ignore the lever completely. Next best thing to LEM which eliminates the 9+ pound DA first shot.

Yeah, I hate safeties on DA or DA/SA pistols. They complicate the procedure of putting the pistol into operation. My Army M9 has a Beretta M92G slide on it. Decock only, the lever is spring loaded to return to fire when depressed and released.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuck,

Thank you for the explanation. What you pointed out to me is so obvious I feel really stupid not having thought of this myself. So, yes, having ONLY the decock means I go with a DA initial shot and SA after that. I saw the video someone made of the LEM functionality and how it works, and I can say that going to a DAO config (and yes I know that LEM is NOT traditional DAO) would be something I'd consider only after using the weapon as is.

But your response triggers another question ... to go V1 to V3 then on my USPf 45 ... would all I need to do there is REMOVE an existing detent plate?

Thanks again.

15-5

1 - 3 of 3 Posts