HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bit the bullet a couple weeks back and bought the USP Tactical in .45. I see in the FAQ here that you fellas seem to be okay with shooting cast lead bullets in these pistols while other folks are saying to avoid them completely.

May I submit a poll for you guys? Do YOU use cast lead in your guns? If so, have you had any leading issues or other problems? I would hate to blow up a fine pistol...but dammit, I have a whack of cast lead reloads in my inventory and would like to use it if possible.

Your comments and experiences are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Lead ammo in polygonal barrel USP has, is not a good mix. Lead can build up quickly in this type barrel that can raise CUP pressures very quickly, causing a CF (Catastrophic Failure).

Congrats on your new Tactical USP

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
+1 I have always heard it is a no-no.
BTW Congrats on the new pistol

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I bit the bullet a couple weeks back and bought the USP Tactical in .45. I see in the FAQ here that you fellas seem to be okay with shooting cast lead bullets in these pistols while other folks are saying to avoid them completely.

May I submit a poll for you guys? Do YOU use cast lead in your guns? If so, have you had any leading issues or other problems? I would hate to blow up a fine pistol...but dammit, I have a whack of cast lead reloads in my inventory and would like to use it if possible.

Your comments and experiences are greatly appreciated.
GREAT gun, congrats!

You CAN use lead bullets, but you must exercise alot more care and caution to avoid lead buildup.

I would not use any reloads in my USP unless I made them myself, AND I custom-made them specifically for that particular gun and chamber. :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I have heard that you can as long as you carefully clean the weapon after a couple hundred rounds. I have never done it myself as I don't reload so I just buy safe ammo. But...I have ordered a machine to start.;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I thought that HK would not warranty any weapon that has shot lead out of them? I am pretty sure that I have read that on this site before. Call HK and ask them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lead + polygonal barrel is NOT a no-no. The only official words that have ever come out is no reloads. You CAN use lead bullets in polygonal barrels, even with Glocks. Oregon Trails Laser-Cast Bullet has specially written a section in their reloading manual with loads for their lead bullets in polygonal Glock 40 cal barrels.

Some barrel + bullet combination can deposite lead like crazy while other barrels might not leave any traces. You mileage may vary.

G

·
I've been running lead out of my USP in 9mm no worries.
haven't had any leading to speak of.

I think there is a bit too much uninformed comment on this subject.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've done it before but it's not a good idea - I wouldn't make a habit of it. If you'd like to shoot 50 rnds of lead on a 200rnd range day, I don't think it's the end of the world - shoot the jacketed rounds before and after though. Little by little you could wind down that inventory.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Lead fouls the polygonal rifiling much faster leading to increased pressures and an increased chance of something bad happening. I would never shoot more than a couple rounds of lead bullets through it, because the more you shoot it the more risky it becomes. Myself, I shoot jacketed bullets only and ignore the lead altogether. Also, remember to clean the gun very well if you decide to use them. Use a chamber brush to scrub the rifiling as well as cleaning patches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts