HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just cleaned my new USP before going to the range this morning.

I bought it from my LGS supposedly 'new'. When cleaning the gun I noticed there was some wear on the top of the barrel as well as the recoil spring where it mates with the barrel. also when cleaning the inside of the barrel i ran a patch through and there was just a little bit of residue on the patch, and it took two patches until it was completely clean.

The date stamp is BC on it so I did not think it would have been used in any way. is this normal for new guns or did i get suckered?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The gun is test fired at the time of production. Unless the wear is significant, I would not bat an eye. Just take comfort that your pistol passed it's QC test fire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My USP that I got about a month ago had some very mild wear on the barrel as well as the end of the recoil spring. I believe it is most likely just from individuals manually cycling the weapon at the shop or during production. It has had zero negative effects on my weapon. I wouldn't think its anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Congrats on the USP. Great pistol, enjoy budd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
hey guys just cleaned my new USP before going to the range this morning.

I bought it from my LGS supposedly 'new'. When cleaning the gun I noticed there was some wear on the top of the barrel as well as the recoil spring where it mates with the barrel. also when cleaning the inside of the barrel i ran a patch through and there was just a little bit of residue on the patch, and it took two patches until it was completely clean.

The date stamp is BC on it so I did not think it would have been used in any way. is this normal for new guns or did i get suckered?
Sounds normal. My new HK's have all needed a good cleaning, and removal of the heavy preservative grease under the slide.

More importantly... how did it shoot for you?

·
Registered
765 Posts
The gun is test fired at the time of production. Unless the wear is significant, I would not bat an eye. Just take comfort that your pistol passed it's QC test fire.
Also, how long did it sit at the LGS, being fondled by every Joe that came through the place. Racking the slide will cause that barrel/recoil block wear. It's superficial.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Congrats on the usp. My fav pistol. Just be happy they arent shipped with what looks to be about 1,000 rounds of powder residue in it, then filled with packing grease, them stuffed into a bag of oil and grease like Kahr does. They should just sell Kahr's at used prices right from the factory.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Welcome Home Nash! Congrats on your new USP! Now you know why the USP has such a huge following, shooting a USP has to experienced to be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My head hurts.
Well it should. I mean, come on, you're paying all this money for supposedly the best gun, and it's dirty and shows wear? Just imagine if it rattled! Then your head would really hurt! This is a sign of the firearms manufacturing industry getting sketchy and dipping to lower QC standards and crapping on their customers. I mean, nothing else I own is worn, dirty, or rattles......HK thus has crappy fit and finish. You're all a bunch of kool-aid drinking fan boys!

duh.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Well it should. I mean, come on, you're paying all this money for supposedly the best gun, and it's dirty and shows wear? Just imagine if it rattled! Then your head would really hurt! This is a sign of the firearms manufacturing industry getting sketchy and dipping to lower QC standards and crapping on their customers. I mean, nothing else I own is worn, dirty, or rattles......HK thus has crappy fit and finish. You're all a bunch of kool-aid drinking fan boys!

duh.
And they hate you!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Darn near every HK I've seen at LGSs are brand new, but made in 2009. Many were just received this week. Not sure why so many 2009 HKs are around brand new? Point is, at first I was concerned as well seeing how old they were. But now that I own one I don't even think twice about the born on date.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My USP that I got about a month ago had some very mild wear on the barrel as well as the end of the recoil spring. I believe it is most likely just from individuals manually cycling the weapon at the shop or during production. It has had zero negative effects on my weapon. I wouldn't think its anything to worry about.
Sounds about the same condition that mine looked. the rest of the gun looked fine. I did open up the USP at the shop but didnt notice the slight wear marks because i guess the grease was hiding them. when dry though, you can see them on the barrel.

Thanks for all your responses, i just needed a bit of peace of mind that I didnt just pay full price for something that was not in the condition that I thought it was.

Also, how long did it sit at the LGS, being fondled by every Joe that came through the place. Racking the slide will cause that barrel/recoil block wear. It's superficial.
That's the thing that got me worried also...My LGS didnt have a USP in stock at the time, but he is one of the few authorized (if not only) HK dealer in hawaii. So I spoke to him at the shop and he went to his computer and found one and gave me a price ($875). I gave him my credit card and he told me it would probably arrive in 5 business days. 2 days later his worker calls me up and tells me the gun is here. I was thinking, how did it get there that quick? No way unless it was shipped express mail and sent out the same day that it was ordered. kind of a strange situation.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Darn near every HK I've seen at LGSs are brand new, but made in 2009. Many were just received this week. Not sure why so many 2009 HKs are around brand new? Point is, at first I was concerned as well seeing how old they were. But now that I own one I don't even think twice about the born on date.
It's not like the LGS is a supermarket. At the local Publix when the shelves are restocked, the fresh produce goes to the back of the shelf, & the older goods are pulled forward to be sold before the expiration date. This way the food gets sold in the order it arrived at the store. It's called "FIFO" But guns which don't spoil after a week are put away in no special order as they wont spoil in a few days. So there is no way to make sure the guns are sold in the order they were received. GARY N4KVE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts