HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, Brand new to forum. I just wan't your guys input on having a brand new USP 9 Compact and taking it to the range for the first time and getting a stovepipe on my second magazine. I also noticed, that a great portion of the brass I shot was mostly shot back to my face. I'm positive If I wasn't wearing a facemark due to COVID, I would've gotten burn mark on my face. If it matters I was shooting PMC Bronze, 9mm 115 GR ammo. Feedback much appreciated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
HKs, especially 9mm HKs, should have a box or three of hotter end or heavier ammo run though them early on before running the 115 grain powder puff stuff.

Also make sure well lubed. A bunch of dryfire / slide manipulation will help as well.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HKs, especially 9mm HKs, should have a box or three of hotter end or heavier ammo run though them early on before running the 115 grain powder puff stuff.

Also make sure well lubed. A bunch of dryfire / slide manipulation will help as well.

Chris
Thank you Chris! Would the hotter ammo take care of the stovepipe issue or brass to face?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Generally yes. Couple factors at play.
-HK builds tight guns rated for long life so they are also a bit over sprung in my opinion.
-light cheap plinking ammo doesn’t have the best QC
-you will likely notice a little plastic coating or flashing on your frame rails. This will wear smooth or off completely over time and I have seen some of that flashing be a little thick which “COULD” in my opinion slow the slide down a hair.

So my normal routine for most guns in general is.
-clean and lube out of the box
-lock the slide back over a night or two
-Run the slide manually a bit (could time to get some dryfire feel for the trigger before first range outing
-Run my first 100-150 rounds or so with hotter or heavier ammo. In 9mm that usually means 124 grain NATO, 147 grain stuff, any defensive loads or +P stuff.

All of these things 99.9% of the time will clear up any initial issues with HKs, Glocks, Walthers etc.

Because 9mm is a comparatively speaking weak round to begin with issues like this usually make themselves known in that caliber and the smaller the gun can also exacerbate things.

Now all of the above is likely not NECESSARY and in most cases just going to the range and shooting the gun will loosen it right up. The above just speeds things along gives you something to do before that first trip. :)

Don‘t be disheartened until you have some rounds down the pipe. It won’t take long before you can run most any 115 grain crap just fine.

Now if you get a few hundred rounds in and are still having issues or see issues across various ammos then you might want to call HK or take a look at the extractor.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
How many 50/bx did you shoot, and only PM Bronze?
If it’s of recent production who knows what quality they’re rolling out these days to meet demand/schedule.
First time out with my BI USP9c I (purposely) ran 2 50/bx Walmart 115 Fed Champion and no problems whatsoever, out of the box no cleaning no prior slide lock back = it’s an HK after all.
Stovepipe, weak ejection (to the face)... are symptoms that first point to ammo/lot. Shoot again with a diff ammo/lot, then report back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally yes. Couple factors at play.
-HK builds tight guns rated for long life so they are also a bit over sprung in my opinion.
-light cheap plinking ammo doesn’t have the best QC
-you will likely notice a little plastic coating or flashing on your frame rails. This will wear smooth or off completely over time and I have seen some of that flashing be a little thick which “COULD” in my opinion slow the slide down a hair.

So my normal routine for most guns in general is.
-clean and lube out of the box
-lock the slide back over a night or two
-Run the slide manually a bit (could time to get some dryfire feel for the trigger before first range outing
-Run my first 100-150 rounds or so with hotter or heavier ammo. In 9mm that usually means 124 grain NATO, 147 grain stuff, any defensive loads or +P stuff.

All of these things 99.9% of the time will clear up any initial issues with HKs, Glocks, Walthers etc.

Because 9mm is a comparatively speaking weak round to begin with issues like this usually make themselves known in that caliber and the smaller the gun can also exacerbate things.

Now all of the above is likely not NECESSARY and in most cases just going to the range and shooting the gun will loosen it right up. The above just speeds things along gives you something to do before that first trip. :)

Don‘t be disheartened until you have some rounds down the pipe. It won’t take long before you can run most any 115 grain crap just fine.

Now if you get a few hundred rounds in and are still having issues or see issues across various ammos then you might want to call HK or take a look at the extractor.
Thank you so much! I will definitely keep this in mind next time I go to the range. For my next range trip, I'll try and and find some hotter stuff yet admittedly it will be difficult to find given the current shortage. For the mean time I guess practicing with Tipton snap-caps and racking the slide will have to do along with locking the slide for an night or two as you said. Your opinion about the plastic on the frame rails is completely logical, the first time I disassembled the USP 9C I was concerned about quality control given I saw the shiny metal on the frame covered with plastic. My first thought was HK, must be really pushing production since they can't even adequately cover the frame rail with polymer(plastic), but it's just part of the breaking in process. Also if it may be of interest, the new 2020 HK USP 9 C with the CA date code no longer has the date engraving on the slide but rather just a print on the bottom of the trigger guard. First time I went to the gun shop and didn't see the antler or date code on the slide I was scared I might've gotten a wait for it.... counterfeit HK. I guess they must be really pushing production.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many 50/bx did you shoot, and only PM Bronze?
If it’s of recent production who knows what quality they’re rolling out these days to meet demand/schedule.
First time out with my BI USP9c I (purposely) ran 2 50/bx Walmart 115 Fed Champion and no problems whatsoever, out of the box no cleaning no prior slide lock back = it’s an HK after all.
Stovepipe, weak ejection (to the face)... are symptoms that first point to ammo/lot. Shoot again with a diff ammo/lot, then report back.
Hello GasGuzz, thank you for your opinion. I shot 2 boxes of 50 round PMC which is the maximum a shooter can buy at my range due to the shortage. I must've gotten like 5 stovepipes in that shooting session. I did also shoot 15 rounds of Hornandy Critical Defense in 115gr, since that ammo will be used for Home Defense purposes and they cycled just fine, no brass to face however I would've liked a stronger ejection. Also somewhat related to the topic, since you stated your first time out with your USP9c you encountered zero issues, how did your magazine follower end up looking from that first shooting session? My magazine follower had some pretty noticeable marks in my opinion at least for it being the first 100 rounds of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ouch! Please don't tell us what you paid for range ammo.
The unscathed HK poly follower will get beat up, it will normalize/even-out after a few but will still degrade gradually – normal.
If you use a mag loader (Uplula), load the 1rst rd by hand then the use loader succeeding. Essentially, the loader has a metal beak/pusher and will scuff/scratch the follower, so use it on the +2nd rd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch! Please don't tell us what you paid for range ammo.
The unscathed HK poly follower will get beat up, it will normalize/even-out after a few but will still degrade gradually – normal.
If you use a mag loader (Uplula), load the 1rst rd by hand then the use loader succeeding. Essentially, the loader has a metal beak/pusher and will scuff/scratch the follower, so use it on the +2nd rd.
Good to hear, I was concerned because I thought this was a lot of wear for only loading 100 rounds. I'll try the uplula, since I used a normal magazine speed loader. I posted a picture which doesn't truly show the damage but best I could take.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is completely normal plastic mag follower wear. It will get worse but will not cause any issues other than cosmetic in nature. Basically a groove will sort of wear into that spot but similar to SIG rails it will get ugly fast and then sort of stop normalize and never cause an issue. These mags will run 10’s of thousands of rounds no problem. The exterior finish will wear and that spot on the follower will wear. 50,000 rounds later it will be an ugly spud but with the possible exception of a spring change or some kind of feed lip damage you visit upon it, they will be running just fine.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
That follower wear will increase and then stop- it’s perfectly normal and will not affect function in any way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Relieving to hear guys. Hopefully I can hit the range soon enough with hotter ammo in 124 gr or 147 gr if I can get my hands on some. For now I will safely dry fire with Tipton snap caps and manipulate the slide. I'll report back on the stovepipe and brass to face later. I thank you for all your input and opinions. @Cslinger , @GasGuzz , @Archer1440

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't believe so. My CA date code USPC (CA on the slide BTW) has run flawlessly after initially shooting 50 rounds of White Box 124 nato and standard 124 Am Eagle thereafter. I have personally found that when I get hit in the face, my off hand grip has been poor. Easily corrected

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello everyone, here is a photo of my USP 9 C with CA date code on the frame bellow trigger guard. I hope it does not denote anything to do with quality however, it is quite concerning... are they pushing too much production? have standards gone down? did the laser etching machine break down? are they too lazy now? Don't really know, too many questions all equally concerning. However I have another question for you guys, is the extractor on your guys HK pistol completely straight or does it have a slight taper towards the bottom? And by extractor I mean the portion that grabs onto the casing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don’t believe it denotes quality by any means. Prices have not gone down. Something with German laws I think therefore they had to print at the underside of the trigger guard.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello Everyone, Brand new to forum. I just wan't your guys input on having a brand new USP 9 Compact and taking it to the range for the first time and getting a stovepipe on my second magazine. I also noticed, that a great portion of the brass I shot was mostly shot back to my face. I'm positive If I wasn't wearing a facemark due to COVID, I would've gotten burn mark on my face. If it matters I was shooting PMC Bronze, 9mm 115 GR ammo. Feedback much appreciated.
The rsa is designed for nato pressures. Is the manual changed?
Always use nato brass on a new HK, imfo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The rsa is designed for nato pressures. Is the manual changed?
Always use nato brass on a new HK, imfo.
Hello Condition0, interesting that you mentioned the USP manual. I did thoroughly read the manual and it did not mention anything in regards to +P+ ammo on page 13 ammunition selection besides choosing quality factory ammunition and not to use foreign ammo. Does your version of the manual mention +P+ ammo? If so what page would that be and I'll go have a second re-look to see if mine does.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Welcome Newb,
Regarding ammo, see attached pic of the usp manual referring to ammo.
There are many threads if you use the search function about using nato spec ammo in HK guns.
As to +p+ ammo, last time I read up on it, it is not a standard to which there are pressures assigned. It's marketing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts