HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Picked up a USPc .40 the other day and just got back from my first range session.

Just back in from my first session with this pistol, and I LIKE IT! Felt recoil is much lower than with my Glock 23, not nearly as snappy. A little bit more muzzle flip (higher bore axis), but the extra slide weight keeps it more than manageable.

This pistol is much more comfortable in my hand, and no "Glock finger" from the trigger safety.

Accuracy-wise, I find I shoot it better than the G23. At first I thought the trigger would be worse from my dry-fire experience, but it's really just different, not worse. The reset is quite a bit longer than the G23, but I got used to that by the end of the session. The trigger is just a little bit gritty, and the breaking point took a little bit getting used to, but I think in the long run I'll like the HK trigger better than the Glock trigger. I get the feeling that the grittiness will smooth out over time as the contact surfaces wear in.

I was hitting 2 inch groups at about 15 feet offhand (WWB 165 gr FMJs). For kicks, I went back to 50 yards and ran one mag; I managed to keep all 12 rounds on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper from a rest. Wow!

As soon as I get my customary 500 rounds through it for reliability proofing I think this will become my new carry gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FredMan I am glad you like it. I am seriously looking at one myself. The two finalists are the 23 or a usp compact 40.

handsome pistola!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the New USPc .40! I purchased one several months back and I haven't looked back. I shoot it better than anyother handgun that I have ever owned (sig, m&p's, xd). It was my first HK purchase and now I just ordered a HK P30 9mm...I don't think that I'll be buying any other brand from now on, unless I get a stellar deal or something. Now I have to save up for the HK45C!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a USP .40 compact also and you're right, it does seem to have less perceived recoil than a G23. Mine absolutely loves speer lawman 180gr. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
USPC .40 was my first HK & I have never had an issue. It is my main carry. I still own other makes and shoot them often(colt 1911, Glock,XD ect.) I just really like the USP platform. I am now in search of a USP Expert in 9mm.

HK's are like Lays, you can't just have one!!!:) GREAT PICTURES!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some nice pics there. What kind of camera are you using and is it just natural light that you are utilizing?
You'd cringe if you saw my photo setup.

The light is from a portable flourescent light table, standing up vertical behind the gun. Gun is resting on my office work surface. Camera (Nikon D50) is on a tripod.

I take two white banker's box tops and lean them against the camera (mounted on tripod) to bounce light in from the sides. I tape a piece of 8x11 white paper over the light table to diffuse and soften the light a bit. I also put a piece of 8x11 paper hanging vertically from the bottom of the camera to bounce light back. Camera is maybe 12 inches from the gun.

I cranked up (down?) the aperture to something like 28 to get more depth of field (it worked in one of the 3 pics posted). Long exposure, something like 1.5 seconds. You have to use the timer on the camera so you don't get any blurring.

The key in getting good pix is good light, and good light from all around (even though flourescent isn't really good light, with color correction it comes out pretty good)

The only post-processing done was cropping, matting, sharpening, and color correction, with PS Elements 5.0. Used the auto color correct and auto sharpening.

Next time I'm handgun pixxing I'll take a shot of the setup...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts