HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I discovered the re-issued USPC 45 in stainless steel (BF date code) and recently purchased. Received a few days ago and immediately noticed the slide finish did not look similar to older ones or pics of what I was purchasing. I know lighting can dramatically change the finish appearance, but I assumed I'd be getting a slide that had a natural stainless look. Upon opening mine it seems to have more of a raw machined half polished look. And unfortunately where the roll marks are the flats seem even more polished giving it an uneven appearance. On my way to the range this weekend to pop it's cherry I stopped by a local gunstore that happened to have a few in stock. I noticed a couple looked like mine with the more raw appearance, but one did had a more balanced metallic sparkle finish (also BF date code).

It's going to be used as a carry gun and I know I probably sound OCD, but does anyone know if HK used something to coat the ss slides after machining? I'd like to do something to match that metallic sparkle look and am considering using a glass bead blast etc. to get a more balanced appearance.

I've attached a pic of the slide. doesn't look bad under the sunlight because it brings out more of the metallic sparkle than what you see under dimmer light. Dim lighting it just has a half polished appearance.

Thanks everyone for your input.

14249798_10154283070386066_1879677451603023351_o.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a carry weapon it will develop scuff marks on the finish anyway. assuming you gun up and gun down every day and practice frequently. I wouldn't obsess about it, just run it.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The SS has a fine satin finish. machine marks will always be present in HKs. It is a sign of quality machining and engineering. Not some die cast junk. Bear in mind that oils, clp, silicone cloths and handling will make finishes vary. The HK SS is one fine hunk of metal on a combat tank of a weapon. Enjoy the heck out of it. They are beautiful HKs to have in the collection and great for carry. Read your manual cover to cover as HKs vary from the lessor arms out there. Avoid alumina, steel, lead and reloads. Feed it quality brass ammo often and you will fall in love.'Congrats!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I have a new .40 compact USP in stainless, BF date code. Looks similar to your slide. It has a glossy appearance. I have a AA date code usp 45 full size in stainless also. It has more of a dull satin finish. I think just changed from a matte finish to a shinny. I love both of them and they shoot well and fit and finish is excellent.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had my slide brushed hard chrome plated by APW Plating in Alabama and it came out fabulous - not shiny at all - more like the stainless steel finish on my Sigs, but a lot more durable. Also, if you are OCD about holster wear on your HK, hard chrome plating will take care of that issue as well. Cost was around 150.00 with a 4 week turnaround.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Congrats on a great pistol! This kind of stuff comes up from time to time, especially on other forums I look at. Most people will just say it's gonna get scuffed anyway shoot it and shut up, and I kind of fall into that camp. But I understand that when you spend a decent amount of money on anything you want it to be what you were expecting. Kind of a bummer, I know, but if you can't look at the gun you are purchasing you're kind of in a "hope for the best" situation anyway. I hope you get it looking the way you want, but am certain you'll love the gun. USP's are great pistols:)

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Posting this only for visual refference.

KH Date code Stainless USP .45

KI Date code Cobra Chrome USP .45

The Hard Chrome is a dull Gray color that looks all business, I prefer it over Stainless, plus it offers so much more protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posting this only for visual refference.

KH Date code Stainless USP .45

KI Date code Cobra Chrome USP .45

The Hard Chrome is a dull Gray color that looks all business, I prefer it over Stainless, plus it offers so much more protection.

Even the KH date code has a satin finish I'd be happy with haha. Both are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

·
Priest of the P7
4,797 Posts
Dude, don't refinish a brand new SS slide -- it's not going to sit well with the HK gods!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations on the acquisition--- sell, before refinishing!!! :biggrin:

Tony
If I sell, I'd just want to purchase another hoping it has the more satin finish. But that seems to be luck of the draw.. Called HK cs and they said the ss slides aren't treated with anything after machining. More confused now that some slides have a different appearance.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I don't have an older one to compare it to, but my recently acquired SS UPS45c looks beautiful. Even if I wanted to shoot it, I couldn't because it's too frick'n slippery to even rack. I Guess she'll be a safe queen and I'll just be happy to shoot the old black one.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Id rather have a bottle in front of me , than a frontal lobotomy ......
Oops , wrong forum :wink:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Priest of the P7
4,797 Posts
Id rather have a bottle in front of me , than a frontal lobotomy ......
Oops , wrong forum :wink:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Depending upon what's in the bottle, the results can be similar.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I thought the finish on my new SS USP .45C was impressive!! too bad you thought different. they are easy to scratch, mark up and get rub marks on. I'm not sure how they do their SS but it looks great when new. I got a used .45 that had a few marks on it and decided to hand rub it with very fine 3M synthetic steel wool pads and oil and it came out beautiful satin look and I'm very happy with it. I would wait until your new compact has lots of marks before embarking on a hand rubbed finish as you will either love the satin or you will hate it. YMMV

·
Registered
332 Posts
Would strongly recommend refinish with Robar NP3 Plus on slide and barrel for enhanced lubricity and corrosion resistance. A factory stainless slide coated with that finish would be virtually unsurpassed.

I prefer the black look, so I get Robar Matte Black Roguard on the slide and NP3 Plus on the barrel and extractor.

Congratulations on a fantastic pistol!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looks like the slide was done on a grinder and then blasted to soften it up a bit. Keep in mind we're talking about a combat weapon, not a polished princess you'll keep in the safe and handle with gloves.

If you're really irritated over it, stainless can be fun to finish. You might want to play with some emery cloth on a flat surface, then stroke the slide perfectly longitudinally. You can work the other surfaces, but keep in mind that making it perfect is hard. Making it look like trash is easy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts