HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I finally can let myself post! I picked up my new USP Compact today!
I left my LGS and went strait home to give it its first clean up. Once I was was done I packed up and hit the range...
After putting ~150 rounds through, I had counted 13 failure to feeds and/or extract...
I was shooting Blazer Brass, Independence, and Remington UMC all 115 grain 9mm.
Do I need to keep braking in my USP? I know this is not normal H&K love.
Any thoughts or comments? Is this normal for a first time out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seemed to be across the board for ammo... I had a box of each and tried with four different mags, all 10 rounders per my great state of California. The Blazer was the last box I shot and wasn't as bad but still had three jams.

The second shot ever failed to go into battery, then for a few mags the last round (10th) failed the same way. Then mainly failed to extract and stove piped (out toward side) once or twice per mag randomly.

I stared to think if it was me limp-wristing it but I am certain it want. I switched to my Walther to verify my shooting abilities and was fine.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
A branny new gun, and one that is "broken in" can act differently. If there was limp wristing going on, it will be more evident on the new gun.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just to cover a simple base, you said you cleaned it, but did you oil it back well? Try going up to a little "stronger" round. Maybe just needs the hell shot out of it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just got mine too. I shot 150 rounds of Speer 124gr out of it and not one problem. I would try some 124's next time out.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Are you stovepiping? You didn't give nearly enough information of what is going on.
Reload your mags, the first round out is #10, the next #9, then #8, and so on. Round #1 is at the bottom of the mag. Keep track of them. When you have a problem, note what round it was on. Get back to us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe just needs the hell shot out of it.
You sir are not a doctor, but a god.

Tomorrow I guess I will have to go back out to the range... and if anyone gives me a hard time for two days in a row I'll blame it on you all and hope they don't see my big smile.

Thanks guys for the input and advice. I'll be back after a great day at the range "researching"...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I bought a used USPc looks like about 200 round thru it. so far I shot 500 and its flawless. try one more time and if it jams send it back to HK.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
She needs a good break in. 124gr and even some +P loads. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Every type of ammo you listed is loaded pretty light. Try some 124gr. ammo, or at least some WWB 115gr., and see if things improve.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've never known an HK to need "break in" but all new firearms deserve generous lubrication with CLP before firing the first time. This not only provides the needed lubrication but will flush out any residue.

"Enough to be messy" is my rule for the first range session. Bring a rag. Thereafter just a drop where needed. Please note grease adds friction and will slow moving parts. Failure to return to battery can be induced by the use of grease in many pistols.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was fortunate not to have any trouble with feeding in the USP9 recently bought. I always, regardless of whether it's new or not, take the mags apart, clean the mag well, run a silicone rag over the follower and springs and reassemble. I can attest that even a slightly dirty mag well will keep the springs/follower from moving smoothly enough to cause a FTRTB. It happened with a 1911 mag and it can happen to HK mags. After cleaning the 1911 mag, I had no further problem. I doesn't matter if ten or 100 rounds have been through the mag, I clean them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've never known an HK to need "break in"
Nor have I. I also have to agree with the removal of the shipping grease. Grease is thicker than oil, especially the sticky grease that guns are shipped in, and can slow down the moving parts. A good dousing of oil should thin the grease that you can't get out/off enough to fix that issue.

So, the second round out of the mag (or by Spyder's description round #9?) was the common problem early on, ie: load in the mag, rack the slide to chamber first round (Spyder's #10), then when you fire that round the next one doesn't load right. Is this an accurate description? If so, I would say that those initial problems were related to not fully seating the magazine. Then, as you got more familiar with the weapon, and started loading the weapon properly, that problem went away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't yet own any USP type HKs, but neither of my P30 (9 & 40), nor my HK45C has ever had a failure, that wasn't ammo related (had 2 diff. Rounds of USA Ammo stovepipe, they were both visually longer than others).

I'd contact customer service, if it hasn't cleared up, never heard of HK break in period.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I got a NIB USP Compact 9mm for my fiance`. I was shocked at how easy this particular USP is for her to cause failures by limp wristing. It needs a solid base to work against. Keep in mind limp wristing is not always in the wrist, it can also be in the elbow and shoulder.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I also have to agree with the removal of the shipping grease. Grease is thicker than oil, especially the sticky grease that guns are shipped in, and can slow down the moving parts. A good dousing of oil should thin the grease that you can't get out/off enough to fix that issue.
What he said. I'm going to capitalize on this and add that the grease that they're shipped in isn't a lubricant either, it's a preservative. Totally different than putting TW-25 or *insert favorite grease here* in your gun.

·
Registered
226 Posts
New gun (new recoil spring), limp wrist, and weak ammo were the COMBINED factors that caused the FTF (double feed). It happened to my new p2000 and USP compact manufactured a year apart. 2010 and 2011 respectively.

Like others said, try 124 gr ammo or +p to break in.

Sent from IPhone

·
Registered
5 Posts
One other thing to try... Have someone else shoot it, and see what results they get. I, personally, have a 9mm pistol that I get a few stovepipes from each mag, while my son can shoot it without a single failure. I'm much bigger and stronger than him, so I don't get insulted when he tells me I'm limpwristing it. It's just my particular shooting style, and that particular (Beretta) pistol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts