HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got in a V51 cut down to K length and have only this one problem with so far(I have not got a chance to shoot it yet).

THe paddel mag release moves side to side and does not work. I can tell for it to work the paddle must stay centered but slides to the left instead of pushing the release out. I dont know if its missing a support to keep it centered of something is missing. It pushes the release out a little but not enough to release the mag if I hold it center and push hard, but then it slides to the left and lets the catch back to lock postion.

I really like the this pistol and cant wait for the stock to arrive so I can shoot it full auto with my sear pack and K-grip. I really don't want to send it back to Vector for repair if I can do it myself. I have been waiting for this build to complete for months now and I really dont want to send it back before I get a chance to shoot it.

Here are some pics please advise me on how I can self fix this problem or if I have to send it back for repair.

Thanks,
Andre

·
Registered
266 Posts
A FAST FIX

you can use E clips of the right size and snap them over on the side that needs the bushing.

this will keep the paddel pushed to the side to work right..

this will work. as long as you want it to. or till you send it back to be fixed.

or you can have a small bushing made (THIS WAY#1)
(will look like a thick E clip sort of.. and have it Tigged in place)
just close the ends to ea other and not to the gun
will look like a thick washer when you are done. hit it with some cold blue and your done.. make the part out of plastic first then take it to a steel fab shot might cost you about $10.00 to have it made... also ask them if they can tig it for you... most of the shops will let you help hold the gun and give a hand... it's like a good old boy thing...somthing to think about...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Duke!

Where can get a E clip? I was thinking something similar like bending a small piece of metal around the bar pushing the paddel to the center, so I think the a E clip is similar?

Sorry not that good with metal working.

Is a part missing on my paddel or did it break off?

Would Vector just replace the whole paddel or do the same thing you advised?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions,
Andre

·
Registered
157 Posts
First thing you do...

... Is call Vector. Maybe the part is wrong and they will just send you the right one. Talk to em!!!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Here's what e-clips look like, this one is for a 1/8" diameter pin, which might be the right size, but you'll have to measure the diameter of the pin the paddle pivots on.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2017554&PMT4NO=29437687

You will need to get several of them, maybe 4 or 5, and snap them onto the shaft to take out the slack. You should also be able to get them at a full-service hardware store. Lowes or Home Depot may not have them, but an ACE hardware certainly will, you may find them at an auto parts store as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks Duke!

Where can get a E clip? I was thinking something similar like bending a small piece of metal around the bar pushing the paddel to the center, so I think the a E clip is similar?

Sorry not that good with metal working.

Is a part missing on my paddel or did it break off?

Would Vector just replace the whole paddel or do the same thing you advised?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions,
Andre
no need to say sorry for anything... this is why we have this site.. so things like this can be done.. Glad to help..

they made the Gap to wide.for the part....your gun was done on a friday or a monday..lol... J/K

this fix would be how to do it. so you dont have to send it off.. or back and be without the gun.. that took so long to get to you.

now if you can only get 3 E clips in to the gap. and you need to get a 4th. to get it nice and snug. this is what you do...take a paint sturr stick.(2 of them)
take the E clips. place then on the wooden sticks and.tap them with a small hammer. this sets them into the wood to hold them.. take some 400grit wet and dry Emery cloth. wrap around the 2nd stick. snug.. and sand 2 or three E clips just a Bit. to make them just a tad thinner. this will make it so you can get that one more E clip. into the gap. do all the E clips just a bit.. you will see what Im tallking about. then spin all the E clips so all the gaps at the front of ea E clip. line. up.with ea other. and with some JB Weld fill in the Gap just a tad at a time.
you can do this .. ea time then hang the weapon in a rack magwell down. JB Weld will sag a bit ea time you add a dab. takes 4hrs for ea dab of JB Weld

in the end. this fix will do what you want it to. you have fixed it your self.

at some point when you do send it back to the maker to fix.
they will do 1 of 2 things

make a thick washer to fix it like you did..

or cut the side out..they loaded the parts in from weld in a thick washer. or add steel to a paddel to make it thicker. for that Gun...reload all the small parts..weld it back up refinnish it.. send it back to you

fix it your self.. send it in after you have had fun with it..

·
Registered
732 Posts
Only slightly off topic, but I had a Vector mag paddle which wouldn't move freely, and ended up tapping it back and forth sideways on its pivot to free it up. I don't think those guys are doing any meaningful quality control at Vector before they ship.

·
Registered
266 Posts
to bad the net was not up and running when FJ Vollmers was in Biss..

all the flack they would have got. for some of the work they shipped out...
unlike Vollmers. Vecter will fix the probs. with out a all the HUFF!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I hate to say it and I'm sure I'll get a bunch of flack for it. Here it goes....I hate to hear how certain companies have excellent customer service when they ship something out that's not right and fix it quickly.

The guns should be correct when shipped. Someone should check all phases of the build and approve the guns that are up to standard while others should be corrected before leaving the plant. I hear some people stating when calling the factory, the plant manager acknowledged their top welder, refinisher,assembler (you pick) was sick that day and someone else may have worked on the gun.

I think all assemblers should be taught all phases of the build and should have a certain amount of skill, knowledge, ability to put out a good product, if not they can man the phones, take orders, pack up stuff, mop the floors, or whatever.

·
Registered
266 Posts
yep..this should have been done before it shipped out.. but even the big guys goof things up from time to time

i worked for GM. and from time to time we would get a new truck in.
one side would have GM stickers/hubcaps
the other side whould have chevy stickers/hubcaps

but it was still shipped out to us...go fig..

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I hate to say it and I'm sure I'll get a bunch of flack for it. Here it goes....I hate to hear how certain companies have excellent customer service when they ship something out that's not right and fix it quickly.

The guns should be correct when shipped. Someone should check all phases of the build and approve the guns that are up to standard while others should be corrected before leaving the plant. I hear some people stating when calling the factory, the plant manager acknowledged their top welder, refinisher,assembler (you pick) was sick that day and someone else may have worked on the gun.

I think all assemblers should be taught all phases of the build and should have a certain amount of skill, knowledge, ability to put out a good product, if not they can man the phones, take orders, pack up stuff, mop the floors, or whatever.
I understand what you're saying, but they can still have excellent customer service in spite of sloppy manufacturing. Personally, if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather have lousy customer service but a great product than the other way around.

I've been in manufacturing since before I graduated college, but on the design and engineering side. It always amazed me the crap that the production managers would let get shipped just to make their numbers. I tried the production manager gig one time, and the perfectionist in me just couldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's not hard to build an HK gun, especially for someone as mechanically challanged as me. I think some of these companies just try to get as many guns out on the market as soon as possible. The reason being laws may change and ownership of certain guns may be prohibited. If someone buys a lemon, they can return it for service/repairs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i worked for GM. and from time to time we would get a new truck in.
one side would have GM stickers/hubcaps
the other side whould have chevy stickers/hubcaps

but it was still shipped out to us...go fig..
That's funny! I actually saw one of those trucks once. Dude who bought it said he got a hell of a discount for an otherwise perfect truck. I think it even had a Chevy grille and a GMC tailgate or vice-versa. Musta been like 15-20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
now when they come in. we just install GM parts. to make it all GM.
this is how i got a full set of nice chrome chevy Rings and caps (wheels)

most of the time it's hubcaps and stickers and grills...lol

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
to bad the net was not up and running when FJ Vollmers was in Biss..
Beg pardon, but Vollmers was very definately in bidness and had quite a website as well as their own forem. This was back when the ONLY black guns board virtually in existance was Machine Gun News ... and Vollmer. No HK boards, no Subguns, no Uzi, no ar15.com ....nada.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow talk about thread drift.:20000000:

I am going to try to fix it myself and if I am not happy with the fix I will send it back to Vector for repair.

Thanks for help guys,
Andre

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After I went to the all night autoparts store and bought some E clips I then thought about trying a different mag.:720: It releases with all my other mags but I have to push the paddel all the way forward unlike my V89P clone. Man I feel dumb for not trying different mags first. What are the odds out of 150+ surplus G3 mags I pick the one that does not fit right. The same mag is very hard to release out of the HK 91 also.
Sorry I should of tried different mags first before I started this thread. The paddel works but must be pressed all the way in and rattels a lot.
I guess thats what I get for buying beatup $1 dollar mags.:100000:

I can still use the E clips to shim the paddel so it does not rattel as much.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Only slightly off topic, but I had a Vector mag paddle which wouldn't move freely, and ended up tapping it back and forth sideways on its pivot to free it up. I don't think those guys are doing any meaningful quality control at Vector before they ship.
I had the exact opposite experiece with my Vector, it worked like a pro right out of the box.

Only issue was thick paint, when that was fixed but a refinish by Jayson at IFG the gun was perfect in every way.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Beg pardon, but Vollmers was very definately in bidness and had quite a website as well as their own forem. This was back when the ONLY black guns board virtually in existance was Machine Gun News ... and Vollmer. No HK boards, no Subguns, no Uzi, no ar15.com ....nada.
well then let me recap some of the things Vollmers would do!

Vollmers would take out all your german parts and install FMP/POF or what ever they could get at the time.. to get your gun's done then. send it back to you... and not send back your parts..(but you could buy them).. this is after you paid them to make your parts into Full auto parts..
for your new Gun..

also you would send in a gun that was still NIB.to sell to them. they would send you a check for USED GUN. and then tell you to bad your Gun was sold and gone.

when you would call them. and say NO thank you. i would like my gun back!

this is just a recap.. of the things I SAW!! and the things i had happen to me!! (1988 to 1993)

then you had the Black AUG thing.. still giggle at that.. what was He thinking! would you like to see a copy of the letter from ATF shutting them Down!
and telling them they dont have a FFL anymore..lol
still gives me warm fuzzys when i look at it!

some of the things they made came out nice..
i have a Hk21 done by them..thinking of getting it done like my other one..so they match 100%

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
well then let me recap some of the things Vollmers would do!

Vollmers would take out all your german parts and install FMP/POF or what ever they could get at the time.. to get your gun's done then. send it back to you... and not send back your parts..(but you could buy them).. this is after you paid them to make your parts into Full auto parts..
for your new Gun..

also you would send in a gun that was still NIB.to sell to them. they would send you a check for USED GUN. and then tell you to bad your Gun was sold and gone.

when you would call them. and say NO thank you. i would like my gun back!

this is just a recap.. of the things I SAW!! and the things i had happen to me!! (1988 to 1993)

then you had the Black AUG thing.. still giggle at that.. what was He thinking! would you like to see a copy of the letter from ATF shutting them Down!
and telling them they dont have a FFL anymore..lol
still gives me warm fuzzys when i look at it!

some of the things they made came out nice..
i have a Hk21 done by them..thinking of getting it done like my other one..so they match 100%
Correct me if I am misinformed but I was told that many of the Hk21s manufactured by Vollmer were actually turned out by Terry Dyer?

TIA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts