HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made the move, I still love.my glock 42 and my 19, truthfully I should've bought a 17 not a 19 when I bought this 15 years ago. The grip is just too small. I got the vp9 for 555$ new with two 15 round mags. So anything need to know about it or do to it before I shoot it? This is my first H&K as well.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Nothing really . I clean ,lube , and shoot . The " stuff" from the factory is more a preservative than a lube. Good play on the VP ! Welcome abored !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you! I'm kinda old school, i use hoppe's 9 for carbon and FP10 for lube...hope that's sufficient...I dont obsess over clean bores in handguns like. I used to do in my custom hunting rifles

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
446 Posts
After a thorough cleaning and oiling, I'd suggest starting with full-power factory 124 gr. rounds. Occasionally, out of the box an HK will have some FTE's until it "breaks in." In other words, weak 115 gr loads or less than full power reloads *may* give you some problems. I would have been skeptical about the idea of "break in," but I've now experienced the issue.

In my case, I'm currently at five HK pistols. The first four, zero issues. Most recent, a P30SKS, yesterday had several failures to eject with reloads in about 180 rounds of factory and reloads (no problems with 124 factory stuff). Came home, locked the slide back over night to compress the recoil spring, and went back to the range today. 200 rounds of reloads with zero issues. Seems like the SK will be good to go from here.

FWIW, the reloads were 124 gr. FMJ ball over 6.0 gr Blue Dot or 5.2 gr of Power Pistol. Not quite full power, but not "weak" stuff, either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats OP and welcome aboard. I'm new here too and the VP9 is my first HK (pistol).

In my case, I'm currently at five HK pistols.
After buying my first gun (VP9) beginning of July... I recently acquired my first AR rifle and now I'm looking into buying either another striker fire pistol or 1911 lol. Did not know this sh!t was this addicting and I hope the drug wear off soon because it's taking a toll on my account. Accessories and ammos (1,000 round) ain't cheap.

·
Registered
446 Posts
After buying my first gun (VP9) beginning of July... I recently acquired my first AR rifle and now I'm looking into buying either another striker fire pistol or 1911 lol. Did not know this sh!t was this addicting and I hope the drug wear off soon because it's taking a toll on my account. Accessories and ammos (1,000 round) ain't cheap.
On AR15.com it's referred to as BRD - black rifle disease. :28: Your next addictive step is to start assembling your own ARs from parts. Then stage 3 of the disease kicks in and you start milling your own lowers from 80% blanks, then ...

In the meantime, most every HK you see will be "can I afford that *this* month??"

Your bank account ain't seen nothin' yet! :biggrin:

·
Registered
32 Posts
On AR15.com it's referred to as BRD - black rifle disease. :28: Your next addictive step is to start assembling your own ARs from parts. Then stage 3 of the disease kicks in and you start milling your own lowers from 80% blanks, then ...

In the meantime, most every HK you see will be "can I afford that *this* month??"

Your bank account ain't seen nothin' yet! :biggrin:
LOL... I wanted to build my AR but the build I want is too steep because I'm a brand whore so I had to settle for a "beginner" rifle that's fully assembled. I'm happy with my purchase so far and I hope this madness stop soon. I originally wanted a firearm in every class - shotgun, rifle and pistol but it didn't stop cause I'm tempted to buy another pistol.

Anyhow, sorry to digress OP... but I field strip my 9 cleaned and lubed it then shot 300 rounds of 124 grain ammo. Before I did that, I go paranoid because I found this thread: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/203987-question-you-vp9-owners-need-help.html and was scared to disassemble it... but finally found the courage and did it, all is well btw.

I thought about stippling my handle but added the talon grip instead. Some like and some don't... do what you want, it's your pistol.... here is a pic of the outcome, it feels much better now. Good luck and happy shooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts