HKPRO Forums banner

New VP9 (and 1st time H&K) owner (coming from a G19)

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  56VP9 
#1 ·
Finally made the move, I still love.my glock 42 and my 19, truthfully I should've bought a 17 not a 19 when I bought this 15 years ago. The grip is just too small. I got the vp9 for 555$ new with two 15 round mags. So anything need to know about it or do to it before I shoot it? This is my first H&K as well.

#3 ·
thank you! I'm kinda old school, i use hoppe's 9 for carbon and FP10 for lube...hope that's sufficient...I dont obsess over clean bores in handguns like. I used to do in my custom hunting rifles

#7 ·
After a thorough cleaning and oiling, I'd suggest starting with full-power factory 124 gr. rounds. Occasionally, out of the box an HK will have some FTE's until it "breaks in." In other words, weak 115 gr loads or less than full power reloads *may* give you some problems. I would have been skeptical about the idea of "break in," but I've now experienced the issue.

In my case, I'm currently at five HK pistols. The first four, zero issues. Most recent, a P30SKS, yesterday had several failures to eject with reloads in about 180 rounds of factory and reloads (no problems with 124 factory stuff). Came home, locked the slide back over night to compress the recoil spring, and went back to the range today. 200 rounds of reloads with zero issues. Seems like the SK will be good to go from here.

FWIW, the reloads were 124 gr. FMJ ball over 6.0 gr Blue Dot or 5.2 gr of Power Pistol. Not quite full power, but not "weak" stuff, either.

#9 · (Edited)
Congrats OP and welcome aboard. I'm new here too and the VP9 is my first HK (pistol).

In my case, I'm currently at five HK pistols.
After buying my first gun (VP9) beginning of July... I recently acquired my first AR rifle and now I'm looking into buying either another striker fire pistol or 1911 lol. Did not know this sh!t was this addicting and I hope the drug wear off soon because it's taking a toll on my account. Accessories and ammos (1,000 round) ain't cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.