HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys,bought a new p30l a few months ago at a estate sale.great price,and a gun i have always wanted.
stopped at a local pawn store yesterday,and a new unfired vp9 was there.at a great price.
i love the trigger on the vp9.i know there are countless threads about the p30l trigger compared to the vp9 trigger.the vp9 is light enough to ccw for me.
should i keep the p30l,or sell it???i love the ,except the long trigger pull

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
VP9's are like $519 last 'heads up' I saw. Everyone says it - get both. I personally enjoy my P30's too much to give one up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree.i just hate to sell the p30l,but really would like to own a 9mm elite once in my life.i know the gun adage is keep both of them,but i sure would trade my p30 if a elite in 9mm came up for sale

·
Registered
699 Posts
I believe the VP and the P30L are very close in size. I think this is what has all the VP aficionados here hankering for a compact version. Either can be carried, with a little effort.
If the USP9 Expert fits your hand well, it would make a great HD or range pistol. I'm also certain there's someone here who could chime in and say "I've been carrying an Expert for years..."
None of these pistols is going away anytime soon. Save up over time, and get the ones you want to own.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have most of the 9mm HKs, and my favorite is still the P30L... That being said I usually carry a VP9 or P2000SK depending on what im doing because if God forbid I had to use it, I don't want my P30L being locked up for months/years while they do the investigation... VP9 I can live without. P30L is just my range toy and once in a while I will run drills at work with it. VP9 is a fantastic gun and at the Glock price point, you wont have the separation anxiety you will get when you call every week asking when your P30L will get released.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
My first HK was a P30L (v1 - light LEM) in 9mm... loved it and learned how to shoot with it...

I bought my VP9 at the end of 2014 and from that point forward I rarely used my P30L and subsequently sold it to fund my VP40 LE... absolutely no regrets. It's not a bad pistol by any means, in fact it's really nice and well built, but for me the VP9 has the perfect ergos and I find I shoot it more accurately. The P30L is a little heavier/bulkier. It's not a hammer vs. striker thing because you can see I have both and love both... just my personal thoughts and experience.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have most of the 9mm HKs, and my favorite is still the P30L... That being said I usually carry a VP9 or P2000SK depending on what im doing because if God forbid I had to use it, I don't want my P30L being locked up for months/years while they do the investigation... VP9 I can live without. P30L is just my range toy and once in a while I will run drills at work with it. VP9 is a fantastic gun and at the Glock price point, you wont have the separation anxiety you will get when you call every week asking when your P30L will get released.
That is the strangest rationale for a carry choice I have ever heard.

·
Registered
839 Posts
That is the strangest rationale for a carry choice I have ever heard.
When youre on my side of the law and see all the fancy guns sitting in a storage room, you realize its not the smartest thing in the world to carry a super nice handgun for conceal and carry. The VP9 gets the job done just as well as my P30L, Expert, or any other firearm, id rather have the cheapest one sitting in LE possession. Your firearm WILL be taken any time youre in a shoot, whether youre in the right or wrong, and im sure some of the not so gun friendly departments may not give them back very quickly. I know before I was LE, I was stopped and the officer asked to see my nice HK USP 45, and while he was attempting to get the mag out and rounds out, dropped it on the concrete, leaving some nice marks on it. Good luck ever getting that fixed or paid for, it wont be.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
When youre on my side of the law and see all the fancy guns sitting in a storage room, you realize its not the smartest thing in the world to carry a super nice handgun for conceal and carry. The VP9 gets the job done just as well as my P30L, Expert, or any other firearm, id rather have the cheapest one sitting in LE possession. Your firearm WILL be taken any time youre in a shoot, whether youre in the right or wrong, and im sure some of the not so gun friendly departments may not give them back very quickly. I know before I was LE, I was stopped and the officer asked to see my nice HK USP 45, and while he was attempting to get the mag out and rounds out, dropped it on the concrete, leaving some nice marks on it. Good luck ever getting that fixed or paid for, it wont be.
Words of wisdom. The police are no respecter of guns in the evidence room. That is why I mostly carry the mud duck of my firearms. If it gets locked up and tossed around, I'm not worried. It cost me little and looks like a mud duck. Rash and abuse only enhance its value.:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Words of wisdom. The police are no respecter of guns in the evidence room. That is why I mostly carry the mud duck of my firearms. If it gets locked up and tossed around, I'm not worried. It cost me little and looks like a mud duck. Rash and abuse only enhance its value.:biggrin:
Without getting into the sordid details: Local POPO came and removed from my home my late father's SAKO L579 Forester Mannlicher in .308 (without a case!) A year later when it was returned, it was still 99%. I am forever grateful - those guys in blue were totally cool about the whole situation and took great care of it (and me).

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Without getting into the sordid details: Local POPO came and removed from my home my late father's SAKO L579 Forester Mannlicher in .308 (without a case!) A year later when it was returned, it was still 99%. I am forever grateful - those guys in blue were totally cool about the whole situation and took great care of it (and me).
I suppose it is conditional. One of mine was stolen and used in a crime. When it came back to me a year later it was fairly haggard. I felt lucky to get it back at all.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thats why for CCW most of the time its a glock

·
Registered
699 Posts
There's validity to the statements about costly firearms vs "beater" pistols. But think about this: The most important thing to remember is that none of it means anything unless you survive the gunfight. Train with what you carry. Period.

I carry an expensive pistol every now and then. If I'm carrying it the day, heaven forbid, I'm involved in a self defense situation, then I know it was worth it to have a firearm I was proficient in. Hell I'll start a " Go-Fund Me" page to recoup the cost of my firearm if I have to! Lol (kidding here, fellas)

My "beater /truck gun"? At the moment, it's a 45c, same as is on my person 75% of the time.

As a motorcycle enthusiast, I once had it explained to me this way; sure, you can buy a cheap helmet instead of the more costly, proven (expensive) brand. If you've got a $100 head, feel free to wear the $100 dollar helmet. Similar principle applies.

We own, carry and shoot HK's for a reason. IMHO, why on earth would you abandon what brought you here on the one day that you really needed it? My 2 cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's validity to the statements about costly firearms vs "beater" pistols. But think about this: The most important thing to remember is that none of it means anything unless you survive the gunfight. Train with what you carry. Period.

I carry an expensive pistol every now and then. If I'm carrying it the day, heaven forbid, I'm involved in a self defense situation, then I know it was worth it to have a firearm I was proficient in. Hell I'll start a " Go-Fund Me" page to recoup the cost of my firearm if I have to! Lol (kidding here, fellas)

My "beater /truck gun"? At the moment, it's a 45c, same as is on my person 75% of the time.

As a motorcycle enthusiast, I once had it explained to me this way; sure, you can buy a cheap helmet instead of the more costly, proven (expensive) brand. If you've got a $100 head, feel free to wear the $100 dollar helmet. Similar principle applies.

We own, carry and shoot HK's for a reason. IMHO, why on earth would you abandon what brought you here on the one day that you really needed it? My 2 cents.
This is the best post on this thread, except that there is no validity to carrying a beater gun just because it might be confiscated. None at all.

My life is worth far more than all the guns, cars and other material things I own, or have ever owned, all put together. Carry a beater gun because it might be confiscated and treated poorly in the evidence room? Really? Really?

In the highly unlikely event I am ever involved in a self-defense shooting, the last thing I will have to worry about is the condition of my confiscated handgun. Very last thing.

One of the best movie lines I have ever heard is what Russell Crowe said in Master and Commander when a French ship was chasing and trying to sink his ship. His character told the crew that they "Must survive this day". In an actual shooting, surviving the day is the only important consideration. What happens to my gun afterward is just not very important. If I survive the day I can buy another gun.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I rarely carry my P7 or P30L. Most of the time its a Les Baer. 45 commander size. Could care less about potential confiscation.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This is the best post on this thread, except that there is no validity to carrying a beater gun just because it might be confiscated. None at all.

My life is worth far more than all the guns, cars and other material things I own, or have ever owned, all put together. Carry a beater gun because it might be confiscated and treated poorly in the evidence room? Really? Really?

In the highly unlikely event I am ever involved in a self-defense shooting, the last thing I will have to worry about is the condition of my confiscated handgun. Very last thing.

One of the best movie lines I have ever heard is what Russell Crowe said in Master and Commander when a French ship was chasing and trying to sink his ship. His character told the crew that they "Must survive this day". In an actual shooting, surviving the day is the only important consideration. What happens to my gun afterward is just not very important. If I survive the day I can buy another gun.
The issue here is you are insinuating that a beater gun can't be a good firearm. The ferrari wont always beat the mustang, and the Mk23 wont always out shoot the VP9. No one here said were going to carry around a Hi Point 9mm with hopes it goes off, just simply that why carry your nicest firearm when a cheaper one gets the job done due to the potential consequences. If you can find a flaw in carrying a VP9 (my cheapest HK, and since I only own HKs, also my cheapest pistol), or a beat up glock (as much as I hate them, still the most reliable firearm around), or insert other low cost common firearm, then by all means, carry your most expensive gun around, hopefully it doesnt get lost, destroyed or confiscated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for reply's guy's.I am semi retired and work for my lgs.The local le gent's are in everyday looking for stolen gun's,leaving gun numbers that were stolen,etc.I have asked them this very question.And they have said it can take year's to get a gun back.
The local le we have from osp ,sheriff,police,are all great.But all have said the evidence locker is not the place to keep a clean new gun from getting dinged up,nicked,etc.I took both guns home.When i lived in idaho,i had about 20 hk guns.expert,elite,usp,23.Loved the gun's.my 40 usp was softer shooting than any 9mm i picked up.MY wife got lymph node cancer,and the our insurance went up 30%,in the same month.So i had to sell all of my hk gun's,to get enough cash for the co pay,and 20% deductible.I am starting all over again,putting a small hk group of guns together.
I would love to get a hk 9 mm elite.That was the best softest gun i ever had.Someday one will come along i hope.thanks guy's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The issue here is you are insinuating that a beater gun can't be a good firearm. The ferrari wont always beat the mustang, and the Mk23 wont always out shoot the VP9. No one here said were going to carry around a Hi Point 9mm with hopes it goes off, just simply that why carry your nicest firearm when a cheaper one gets the job done due to the potential consequences. If you can find a flaw in carrying a VP9 (my cheapest HK, and since I only own HKs, also my cheapest pistol), or a beat up glock (as much as I hate them, still the most reliable firearm around), or insert other low cost common firearm, then by all means, carry your most expensive gun around, hopefully it doesnt get lost, destroyed or confiscated.
I never "insinuated" any such thing. Insinuate means to suggest or hint (something bad or reprehensible) in an indirect and unpleasant way. I did not do that. You simply read it wrong.

The post is about life being more important than a gun and that a person should not carry something simply because it may be confiscated and treated poorly in an evidence room. It was not meant, and doesn't suggest, that an expensive gun is better than a less expensive one. You read it wrong and followed up with false assumptions about my meaning. Insinuate is what you did when you tried to turn the meaning of my post around to make it sound as if I am a handgun snob.

For what it's worth, my cold weather carry gun is most often a Glock 19. But it isn't a beater gun. It's a well use and well maintained handgun. However, if I thought a different handgun that cost three times more could increase my chance of staying alive in a gun fight then you can be sure I would buy and carry that gun. It just isn't necessary.

You have a nice day.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I never "insinuated" any such thing. Insinuate means to suggest or hint (something bad or reprehensible) in an indirect and unpleasant way. I did not do that. You simply read it wrong.

The post is about life being more important than a gun and that a person should not carry something simply because it may be confiscated and treated poorly in an evidence room. It was not meant, and doesn't suggest, that an expensive gun is better than a less expensive one. You read it wrong and followed up with false assumptions about my meaning. Insinuate is what you did when you tried to turn the meaning of my post around to make it sound as if I am a handgun snob.

For what it's worth, my cold weather carry gun is most often a Glock 19. But it isn't a beater gun. It's a well use and well maintained handgun. However, if I thought a different handgun that cost three times more could increase my chance of staying alive in a gun fight then you can be sure I would buy and carry that gun. It just isn't necessary.

You have a nice day.
Maybe im reading it wrong a second time, but this post appears to mirror the first... Agree to disagree I suppose. If your fancy pistol comes through my evidence room, I will be sure to handle it well and wrap it before tossing it in the safe :)
And any day in Arizona is pleasant pending it isn't June, July or August!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts