HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time owning an HK. Is it normal for the slide catch not to engage when no magazine is in the mag well? Took it to the range today and it didn't behave like this initially but after a couple of mags I noticed I could no longer lock the slide to the rear without a magazine inserted. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
You have to manually engage it if there is no magazine in the pistol. When the magazine is in and you fire your last round it should hold the slide open with the empty magazine in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I wasn't clear, that is what I am saying, when I try to manually engage the slide lock without the mag in the well, it will not stay locked. It slides forward unless I continually maintain upward pressure on the latch. The second I reduce the pressure the latch slips down slightly and the slide slams home.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Congrats, and sorry to hear that. Sounds like that one needs a call to HK Customer Service. They're awesome, though I've only sent to them for sight installation or trigger variant changes.

None of my 4 VP9s behave as you described and based on your 'symptoms' sounds like something isn't right. If so, I'll be HK CS turns around in a day for you.

Once resolved, all I can tell you is (VP9 was my first semi-auto handgun in Nov 2015, now I have 7 HKs, including 4 VPs) I have nearly 16K rounds down the pipe between the 2 VP9 I use as range toys and they've always gone bang, save for 5 out of spec rounds that failed to return to battery. These are some sweet shooting, accurate, reliable Funs!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I thought it wasn't normal, but just wanted to check with some one that had some experience with them before I called HK CS. I guess I was hoping my brand new vp9 wasn't flawed. Oh well... **** happens. If HK CS is as good as you mention that should placate my frustration. Thanks again. Have a good holiday season!

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Congrats on a great pistol and welcome!! Sorry to hear of your issue but I am sure it will be resolved quickly. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a new VP9 with 500 flawless rounds through it. Various brands and weights of FMJ, Federal HST 124gr and 147gr, Winchester Ranger 124gr, Winchester PDX1, and Hornady TAP 124gr and 147gr. Shoots to POA for me. This is an excellent pistol and now serves as the "nightstand" gun.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear, that is what I am saying, when I try to manually engage the slide lock without the mag in the well, it will not stay locked. It slides forward unless I continually maintain upward pressure on the latch. The second I reduce the pressure the latch slips down slightly and the slide slams home.
Interesting. Don't have a VP9 in front of me at the moment, but the only two components in play are the tip of the metal latch, and the corresponding notch in the slide. Do either of these two contact surfaces appear to be rounded off in any way?

In the absence of upward thumb pressure on the latch, it is the left-front cutout of the magazine follower that provides the upward tension of the lever for after the last round fired.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
sheesh. issues right out of the box? Still waiting for the VP9 to build a track record before buying.
You have to look at how many VP9s HK has manufactured and sold. I've seldom heard of any issues with brand new VP9s, or any HKs for that matter. The VP9 is a solid gun, don't let a minor, potential factory QC issue influence your decision making. Now, if there were hundreds, or thousands of reports of VP9s failing, or having issues out of the box, then I would take heed of those claims, but this is not one of those cases.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Welcome to the forum, grats on the VP9, I love mine too, just shot it over the weekend, pleasure to shoot :

Sent from my Nexus 5X

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
First time owning an HK. Is it normal for the slide catch not to engage when no magazine is in the mag well? Took it to the range today and it didn't behave like this initially but after a couple of mags I noticed I could no longer lock the slide to the rear without a magazine inserted. Any thoughts?
have you talked to customer support yet? i am wondering what they have told you. i own many vp9 with no issues i am sure they will make it right

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Just hit 10K rounds with one of my VP9s, the other has 9600 and no issues...well, had 5 FTRB from a batch of q4318 I got some time back, other than that, goes bang every time.....so 5 rounds out of spec (plausible if not definite) out of nearly 20K, that's pretty darn reliable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts