HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to decide if Fireclean (hybrid gun/vegatable oil) should be used as the initial and only product for the new VP9 when i get it and degrease it? I have ready many reports of it being great and having to be on the metal prior to fouling to make cleaning a breeze. Ive also read that its not a very good rust preventative... I have MPRO7 gun cleaner and the MPRO7 CLP ready to go but wondering if Fireclean is worth a try>>>?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I love Fireclean for my roller locks but I say use whatever you like best. I dont know that you need to start with Fireclean and stick with it. Try it, and if you don't like it- move on.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I've found MPro 7 LPX and their gun cleaner keeps my VPs looking like came out of the box, haven't used Fireclean, so if you like that, give it a try.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't think it matters what you use as long as you clean your firearm well and then lube it with a product that is designed for firearms. I have been shooting and cleaning firearms for over forty years and have yet to have one rust or have any serious wear or damage related to lubrication. I have a 1960's era Remington 1100 that runs like the day my Father bought it. I use whatever I happen to see at my LGS when my current firearm lube runs out. Rem oil, CLP, Break free, etc. I have never noticed any difference in performance or wear due to changes in these products.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I don't think it matters what you use as long as you clean your firearm well and then lube it with a product that is designed for firearms. I have been shooting and cleaning firearms for over forty years and have yet to have one rust or have any serious wear or damage related to lubrication. I have a 1960's era Remington 1100 that runs like the day my Father bought it. I use whatever I happen to see at my LGS when my current firearm lube runs out. Rem oil, CLP, Break free, etc. I have never noticed any difference in performance or wear due to changes in these products.
I have been using Slip 2000 products for some time now with good results but having said this I agree with the above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think it matters what you use as long as you clean your firearm well and then lube it with a product that is designed for firearms.
I found this to be the case too. Although, I use Mobil One motor oil and red wheel bearing grease and found no adverse effects on my guns.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I found this to be the case too. Although, I use Mobil One motor oil and red wheel bearing grease and found no adverse effects on my guns.
^^^THIS^^^

You can use damn near anything to lube a gun. It really doesn't matter what you use for the number of rounds the average shooter fires. You want Fireclean? Go buy a gallon of canola oil. That stuff is so cheap you can soak your can(s) in it between shootings. Oh, you're a high volume belt fed shooter? Motor oil, bearing grease as he says.

High priced "boutique" lubes are scam, and half the claims made for them are BS.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Another vote for Weapon Shield CLP. Since 2007 nothing has touched any of my guns for clean, lube, and protection except Weapon Shield. It is a very good rust and corrosion protector. WS was formulated by George Fennel who is a degreed industrial chemist and the real deal. I know him personally. I recommend trying Weapon Shield before the Fireclean. Bill

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Im trying to decide if Fireclean (hybrid gun/vegatable oil) should be used as the initial and only product for the new VP9 when i get it and degrease it? I have ready many reports of it being great and having to be on the metal prior to fouling to make cleaning a breeze. Ive also read that its not a very good rust preventative... I have MPRO7 gun cleaner and the MPRO7 CLP ready to go but wondering if Fireclean is worth a try>>>?
Fireclean is good to clean the carbon off , but not so much for lubrication, especially around heat .

·
Priest of the P7
4,960 Posts
I use Fireclean on my P7s and guns that I run suppressed -- guns that get very dirty. I have found that if I use Fireclean and only Fireclean for cleaning and lubrication on these weapons that it is much easier to clean off all the carbon. Weapons that don't get very dirty, the VP9 included, I use Slip 2000 products because I feel that they lubricate and protect a little better.

I do think that Fireclean makes weapons with a propensity to get very dirty easier to clean, though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Just go with the M-Pro products you already have. The M-Pro 7 LPX is good stuff. I often go 300 or more rounds between total cleanings and other than bore and breech face I just wipe off the rest with a paper towel or cotton patch.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Be careful, or you might get sued by the thin-skinned proprietors that run FireClean.
I read about it. That's what I was referring to - the allegation that it was crisco.

I gotta admit, I tried it and it made a big difference with my SD can. Since I started using it I never have a problem getting that can off.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Over the years I have used Fireclean, SLP2000, Weaponshield and a host of other lubricants on my guns. They all seem to work equally well. Go with what you have and you'll be fine I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts