HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's also my first HK. I do have a lot of other semiauto pistols and revolvers.
I'm being a little careful about brand names and models, I don't want to get banned on my first thread. :410:

I had been looking at the VP9, but it's bigger than I want to carry. I just recently found out about the VP9SK.
It's size is in between two that I often carry, and I'm very impressed with the trigger. But, I have to admit I find lighter triggers more acceptable than I once did.

I haven't shot it yet, but I think I'm really gonna like it. I'm left handed, and the VP9 will be the most lefty friendly semiauto I have.

I really had a hard time choosing between the Standard and LE models.
Allergies sometimes make my shooting eye blurry, and the phosphorescent sights show up nicely.
I finally took the LE because of the third magazine. HK mags are expensive. If I have trouble with the sights, I'll switch to Trijicon HD Orange.
I did order three 12 round mags from the HK store, even more expensive. But two extra rounds are a big deal on a carry gun.
The small subcompacts are more "comfortable", but 12 + 1 rounds are more "comforting".

It appears the factory was generous with lube, I take it the VP9 likes it that way ?
I saw one thread that said it also likes 124Gr NATO rounds for break in ?
I plan to use Hornady Critical Defense for carry. They work very well on barrels under 4 inches.

I'll start with the Medium grips and backstrap, but I usually wind up with the large.

I'll give an update when I get out to shoot it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm also left handed and I will say the VP9 is the best left handed friendly pistol I have shot. I had to get the VP40 and also the VP9sk. I shoot the VP9sk better then the VP9. I don't know why that is. I think I have the Medium grips on the side and the small on the back of them. I think the VP9sk is Medium all around. I have always use what gr. the guns were made for so I always buy 124gr for 9mm & 180gr for 40 S&W. If they come out with a VP45 type gun that is close to the HK45c I will be buying that also. As again I like how left handed friendly these pistols are. Enjoy your new toy and happy new year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is something I forgot about the VP9SK. The "Charging Support".
I have arthritus in my thumbs, pinching the slide to rack it hurts. The "Charging Support" (I think of them as "Wings") REALLY help'

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
Congrats on your new toy. I've been reading about these VP9SKs and my checking acct is about to hate me more. Do wipe off the lube and clean the gun before shooting it the first time.

You might want to search and read about Hornady on this forum.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Welcome! Yes, pick up 124gr 9mm NATO spec ammo (Federal, MEN are great examples) and push about 500 through the pipe. Chances are you'll be fine with 115gr 9mm afterward (or sooner) but the higher pressure ammunition works the recoil spring, guide rod, and gets the pistol polished in the right areas. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Welcome, I love my 'mini-me' SK.

HK mags aren't all that expensive, only couple dollars more than other steel mags...the internet is your friend, I haven't paid more than $35 for new HK mags for any of my pistols, so pays to shop the web.

I use the same 3 mags at the range, and cumulative 30K rounds no issues, so they're pretty much worth the cash.

HKs love 124g, so run that until RSA loosens up a tad if want to run 115.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome! I recently made the same choice in my first Hk and you won’t be disappointed! I hadn’t read about the ammo issues for break-in and found that 115gr SIG ammo worked fine, lower quality range stuff didn’t. I came here then put about 200 rds of 124 NATO through and it’s running like a top on regular 115 and 124 now. Another anecdote I heard was to rack the slide back overnight before shooting and that will help cycling the first few hundred rounds.

I am usually a single-stack owner/shooter but find the small grip inserts and backstrap are perfect for my hands, and this thing really is a natural shooter. I am looking forward to adding it to my carry pieces (likely among the top choices).

For a factory configured striker this really is a masterpiece! Enjoy and welcome to the community from another Hk noob!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have five boxes of NATO 124 Gr, but most guns only need a box or two for the springs to set.

I don't want to try it out today. There has been a tremendous growth of gun ownership here, and holidays are very crowded.
Later in the week will be better. If I run out of ammo, I'll know I like the gun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats! I also just got my first HK! The VP9 Tactical!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have five boxes of NATO 124 Gr, but most guns only need a box or two for the springs to set.

I don't want to try it out today. There has been a tremendous growth of gun ownership here, and holidays are very crowded.
Later in the week will be better. If I run out of ammo, I'll know I like the gun.
Same locally where I live. The week between Christmas and New Years was crazy at the range nearest to me. I was able to go once by showing up right at opening, but I would be remiss if I didn’t say when they are crowded I am not a fan. The RSOs can only see so much and there is a lot of disregard (or just lack of understanding)for safety with many of the non-regulars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cosmoline

Several members of this forum posted warnings to clean out th shipping cosmoline, but I really didn't expect to see any.
When I field stripped it, I saw that HK does use cosmoline, a lot of it.

I don't suppose it would have caused any big problem, but it will get a better break in with Slip 2000. :380:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello and congrats on the new purchase.

I purchased a VP9 and VP9SK at the same time, both LEs with night sights.

The VP9SK came soaking wet with lube from the factory. Took me a little bit to clean it off. The VP9 full size was lubed like most other pistols. Not sure why but it was noticeable. Either way, I cleaned them both up same day.

They are awesome guns. I think the VP9SK is the perfect carry size fighting gun. It is such a sweet spot for me and fits great in my hand. Overall it’s fantastic. And being a fellow southpaw, the HK guns are no brainers. I learned on right handed pistols so I depress the mag releases with my index finger anyway so the euro mag releases are second nature to me. The ambi slide stop is awesome and Glock only came around to that this year. Even though SW put an ambi stop in their new MP 2.0 line, the slide stop is almost impossible to operate. HK is a truly ambi pistol and a blessing for us lefties. Plus they have undeniable quality and beauty. Great choice in a firearm my friend!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to mention the Charging Supports. I have arthritus in my thumbs, and it hurts to pinch the slide.
With the Charging Supports I just have to hook them. No "ouch" involved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have recently purchased a VP9SK and had it to the range for the second time today. I shot both the H&K and my EDC Glock 26. Although the H&K is a tad bit larger, the payoff is a smoother shooting pistol. The ergos , sights and trigger really make it shine when compared to my G26. This H&K is a tack driver and the best shooting gun of my collection. This is my 7 yard slow fire ten round group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gratz on the new gun! A lot of people carry the compact magazine in the gun and then carry full size reloads if the gun can use the full size magazines. I love my H&Ks and I have a bad habit of liking the ones with more expensive magazines. I'm still thinking about the 2 spares I got for my P7M13 .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts