HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here. I already have a usp .45 but my reason for joining is that i have a cetme parts kit on the way and i am about to move from the most gun restrictive state in the country to the least. I have had allot of custom projects i've wanted to do but was unable to due to the local gun restrictions but that's about to all open up. So one of the first things i intend to tackle is completing this parts kit and completely modernising it using high strength plastic, carbon fiber, silicone and various pre-made gun parts. I am an experienced plastic welder, carbon fiber car part maker, silicone fabricator and i have been gun building for 20 years, so this is nothing new to me and relatively small in scope compared to what I'm use to.

Some of the pre- made components i wish to use include g3 parts and parts for other hk rifles and that's where joining this message board comes in. Basically, i wish to go over things in advance with people who know this platform and the market around it.

Anyway, i probably won't get many opportunities to question you before june or so but i would love to get some of the basics from you folks for now. The parts kit is the railed forend one that apex gun parts is selling for $199. Since i wish to ultimately turn it in to a high quality rifle, i am interested in knowing it's initial shortcomings and some of the best mechanical components to consider investing in. Save for competerive shooting, it's going to be an all purpose rifle.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. You of course can move forward on the CETME C, but I just want to clarify the concept. It is my understanding that the CETME C is the Spanish version of the G3. Like adding carbon fiber ground effects to a Sixty's vintage Porsche, there is still the limits to mechanism underneath. This is a very old design. Because of the mechanism to work the action, optic and for that matter, accessory rails are limited in use because accessories could interfere with function. A carbon fiber hand guard would be cool. My worry of a super light stock would make the gun seem muzzle heavy.

It strikes me that there are many smiths that work in metals but few that have your background in "high strength plastic, carbon fiber, silicone". Something as simple as magazine capacity. The MP5 in .40 caliber uses a 30 rd polymer mag. I have searched local to me for someone to weld a few mags together to make a couple of mags with 50+ rounds of capacity. There are also some polymer based HK firearms that are not just pistols. The UMP or the G36 com to mind.

Look your interests, your time. I think your background in "high strength plastic, carbon fiber, silicone" would be a real asset for more modern firearms. I'd be interested in a carbon fiber fore end for my MP5Ks or 53K. Especially in the fore end, lighter is better. I can't wait to see what you do.

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the automotive world, straight carbon fiber can be a great asset because you want to lighten things up wherever possible. I've found that in the gun world, composites are a much better way to go. Carbon fiber skeleton with steel inserts, plastic outer skeletal structure with silicone inlay in the gripping is much more my style. Not only does it make endless possibilities for great balance and strength but it looks great too. Unfortunately it takes a huge amount of time. There's a reason why carbon fiber cars can cost 1/3 to over a million dollars! And conbining it with other materials doesn't always make things easier.

A couple months ago my computer hard drive was killed by wiring that went bad and took all my pictures with it. I WAS able to save a few from online and my phone, but few were firearm related. Here's project I am working on now. The glossy front is epoxy resin put on when sanding wore away in to the paint job.
Hand Finger

Here's also a steering wheel I never finished. This was experimentation with pigmentation and working with real suede. It's an old example of experimental stuff but one of the examples I have.
Auto part Steering part Steering wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a knife I scratch built out of brass, cocobolo wood and S7 tool steel. At least the handle part of constructing this is similar to carbon fiber and plastic work past the molding or initial forming part. That is to say, you start with a rough composite and sculpt your final product out of it.
Hunting knife Blade Bowie knife Dagger Knife

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Wow, cool stuff. I'm familiar with moving. Last summer I moved from Las Vegas, NV to Southern New Hampshire. Living in Vegas, I worked in CA quite a bit. Now that I'm in NH, I work in the Boston area. So I'm also familiar with "anti gun". Good luck with your CETME C project.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts