HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking at doing conversion and want to ask dumb questions about doing things legal.

I *did* utilize the search function but didn't find a good, centralized thread with answers to all my newb questions.

Let's say you had a USC which you converted to a UMP with a Navy lower...swapping out the Navy lower's guts with the Semi-Auto USC guts. This seems to be what most people do via a kit from HDPS.

In order to convert to a SBR you would have to *FIRST* register it as an SBR, then *SECOND* buy the 8 inch barrel, right? Or could you purchase the barrel first?

In order to go full-auto you would have to make sure that you don't "fill/mill" the Navy lower, right? What else would be needed to convert it to a full auto? I assume it's swapping the FA stuff back-in and then buying a 'sear'? I understand that these sears are registered and cost like $12,000 *IF* you can find them.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Send in Form 1 first. No short barrel in your possession until you get your approved tax stamp back, or you'll be in trouble.
No full-auto.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You must register as SBR before purchasing the barrel or store the barrel at a different location than the gun. There is no legal way for a civilian to have a full auto UMP. The sear you are referring to is only for the 9x series of guns and will not work in a USC/UMP.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No New Machine guns for civilians since the 86 Ban it sucks but as stated do not Buy a short barrel until you get the Paperwork from the ATF for the SBR they can get you with content to build a illegal SBR but just having the barrel in the same place as your USC .You could give it to a friend to hold until you are cleared

·
Registered
259 Posts
You cannot legally convert your USC/UMP conversion to anything but an SBR. Moreover, you can't convert a USC/UMP conversion to full automatic unless you are a Type 07/02 Manufacturer. The older registered sears found in most MP5 conversions won't work with the UMP.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its simple really...

USC --> UMP --> full auto --> jail

USC --> form 1 --> UMP (clone) --> happiness

its called constructive possession --> jail
See? Dumb it down for me like that and I understand.

Understood. Clone the Semi-Auto UMP and make sure I don't buy any short barrels before getting the tax-stamp. Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
See? Dumb it down for me like that and I understand.

Understood. Clone the Semi-Auto UMP and make sure I don't buy any short barrels before getting the tax-stamp. Much appreciated!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you should happen to get a killer deal on a UMP demilled kit (as I did) you can own the barrel as long as you have a friend keep it for you who doesn't own a USC. Short barrels are getting pretty rare so if you see a good deal on one I would grab it and you could even have your dealer hold it for you till you get your stamp if you have a friendly one who's willing to do so!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why buy a separate short barrel when its cheap to cut one down? I paid the $200 and waited 6 months to get the stamp, why would I care to put it back to a 16" barrel? I guess I don't know why you'd still need a non-SBR barrel...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Why buy a separate short barrel when its cheap to cut one down? I paid the $200 and waited 6 months to get the stamp, why would I care to put it back to a 16" barrel? I guess I don't know why you'd still need a non-SBR barrel...
Why did I buy a separate short barrel? Because the qualiy of aftermarket .40 barrels for the UMP/USC is questionable and it came with a kit which made it a LOT less expensive than buying the parts piece by piece. Some people just would rather have a factory UMP barrel or for a suppressor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a FFL-->buy a SOT stamp--> get a demo letter-->cheap FA UMP

This is the only legal way to get a real UMP

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
In case you ever feel like selling it and the next owner doesn't want an SBR. Or maybe you want to shoot slightly longer distances and prefer the long barrel on occassion. I bought a 2nd USC barrel to cut down for whenever my Form 1 gets filled out and sent off.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have fired the f/a UMP 40 and the creek, trust me, semi is better unless you just want to waste ammo. Only way to shoot that weapons is in controlled bursts and accuracy still aint that great (not like MP5) I can imagine 45 may be a tiny bit less snappy

video of me shooting: just remembered I had this!

Me Shooting the HK UMP-40 at Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot video by swiss_seth - Photobucket
Cool video! I like how the guy observed you are familiar with the UMP. Hehe

Get a FFL-->buy a SOT stamp--> get a demo letter-->cheap FA UMP

This is the only legal way to get a real UMP
Correct, but I believe you also have to be in the business of selling machine guns and cannot just have the SOT to collect NFA toys.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,052 Posts
Correct, but I believe you also have to be in the business of selling machine guns and cannot just have the SOT to collect NFA toys.
Getting the FFL is the first step and ATF strongly opposes non C&R licenses for folks who are just looking to fluff out their collections. SOT's are pretty much in the same league. If you are not going to be in the business, you will likely not get approved in the first place.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
In order to go full-auto you would have to make sure that you don't "fill/mill" the Navy lower, right?.
A UMP navy lower is already FA ready to go but it will not make your USC a select fire weapon. Allowing the upper to accept the sear trip lever that is in the UMP lower is manufacture of a unregistered MG and unless you are an SOT there is no legal way to do this. The alteration is to the USC upper not the UMP lower. It is also best to buy or cut down your barrel after you get your stamp otherwise you could be charged with constructive intent. Very highly unlikely but not totally out of the equation.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Getting the FFL is the first step and ATF strongly opposes non C&R licenses for folks who are just looking to fluff out their collections. SOT's are pretty much in the same league. If you are not going to be in the business, you will likely not get approved in the first place.
If someone is in the business, and gets approved and continues in the legal business of machine guns and then later stops business but continues to pay the SOT fees to maintain ownership of a few post samples is this also frowned upon?

I would imagine it is, and if found out they no longer do business I can imagine the BATF would pull their license and take their toys away.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Having a SOT you have to be in business and use the FA as dealer sample to sell to LE/Military or private security Contractors that can buy them .One good thing about having a C&R FFL is you can buy Full Auto C&R weapons I found a MP-40 I could buy If I only had 14,000.00 dollars:8:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts