HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys names Doc,

I am thinking about getting my first rifle,the research Ive done I want to get a PTR 91 GI.

I want to upgrade it as well.

After looking at the upgrades I want it seems i should just build one instead of buying a stock model and buying the upgrades on top of it.

when i say build i mean buy main components that i want and put it together(if there is a difference in terms sorry i dont know).

Questions are is there a good site to go to make this build that is fairly new user friendly?

if not what would be the best site that has all the proper parts?

do i need any tools, shop, machining equipment to do this?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, i just dont know much.

any other advice or guidance would be appreciated. Or even opinions!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It would help if you provided a list of the "upgrades" you want to do.

The GI R is already a pretty nice rifle with the scope rail, paddle mag release and metal lower. What else would you want?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the one i found that is stock CA legal is 16 inch, i want that up to 18 inch.

other parts include
stock, forearm , rails, trigger pack, titanium firing pin, then optics and such.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
so the one i found that is stock CA legal is 16 inch, i want that up to 18 inch.

other parts include
stock, forearm , rails, trigger pack, titanium firing pin, then optics and such.
The 18" PTRs are CA legal so it is ridiculous to buy a 16" and swap barrels.

What stock and forearm are you going to change to?

Why the desire for a titanium firing pin?

No builder is going to include optics so that is all on you.

PTR makes a version with an aluminum forearm covered in rails.

Trigger pack? As in getting a trigger job done? There are two companies that provide the service rather inexpensively.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MagPul PRS2 Tactical Stock

i heard the titanium pin will last longer if properly cared for(am i wrong?)

the forearm i was looking at is a PTR, Cetme Tactical Tri-rail Handguard System

the trigger pack is a separate trigger system that drops the pull weight by 5-6 pounds

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Buy the 18" PTR with the aluminum railed forearm, skip the titanium pin (you can buy 4 stock pins for that and I haven't heard anyone complaining about their firing pin failing), add the MagPull stock yourself and get a trigger job done by Bill Springfield or Williams Triggers.

No need to over think this.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
the trigger pack i was going to get is done by bill springfield.
He will do your pack for a lot less then buying a whole replacement and his replacement is simply a stock pack that he does the same mods to as he would yours.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You will need to check with him as to turn around time.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The rifle will run for many thousands of rounds without eating a firing pin. The best reason to have a spare is if you lose the first one whilst fooling around with the gun apart.

Forage for the 18" barrel, you lose more than you gain with the 16".

The trigger upgrade is your best investment.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Bull barrel is a thicker barrel that can usually increase accuracy through better heat dispersion and less harmonics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
He will do your pack for a lot less then buying a whole replacement and his replacement is simply a stock pack that he does the same mods to as he would yours.

HKPARTS.NET   HKPARTS.NET.png HKPARTS.NET   HKPARTS.NET.png

so this is what i came up with as far as what i want to get for it after following your advice and the rifle I found is about 12OO but comes with a bull barrell and aluminum foregrip from the looks of it.

any more suggestions? or advice?

and please dont give me too much flak for the bayonet, i just really like blades and edged weapons, i have a problem when it comes purchasing them

·
Registered
31 Posts
View attachment 54593 View attachment 54593

so this is what i came up with as far as what i want to get for it after following your advice and the rifle I found is about 12OO but comes with a bull barrell and aluminum foregrip from the looks of it.

any more suggestions? or advice?

Atlantic Firearms has 91 FR's (bull barrel, aluminum handguard, and welded scope rail) for $1035.00. Going that route will save you money on the gun, and save you money from not having to buy a scope rail separately.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i checked that site and it said they were out of stock, of course before i buy i will look for the best deal on what i need but for now this is what i got to work with

1 - 20 of 28 Posts