HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USP 9mm. I put it in my hand and it feels like that's exactly where it needs to be. I've tried a S&W Bodyguard 38 and a KAHR CW9 (9093) and my hands are just too big for those. I'm thinking about a P2000 or a HK45c for concealed carry. Is the grip on those sized more like the USP 9 rather than the smaller ones. (BTW, (I'm 6'6" and 450lbs, so I have too much hand for the smaller concealed carry)

My first gun purchase was my HK USP 9mm. I tried a couple different brands but that just felt so good in my hand and my groupings are very tight. I love my HK and not sure why I bought other brands, but I really want a concealed carry HK.

This is my first post, hope it's on topic. Thanks for all your help!!

keith

·
Banned
353 Posts
Hello...
A usp compact .45 has the same grip circumference as a full size usp. The compact holds 4 less rounds so the grip is shorter, the barrel is shorter also. The usp compact .45 is still a very "big" gun! I sold mine and bought a .40 compact. You can spend $200.00 and get a 357 sig barrel for it too! Thus, 2 pistols in 1. No need to buy new mags either, the .40 mags handle 357 sig ammo as well...

.40=light 10mm ballistics
.357 Sig=.357 magnum ballistics

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Get a feel of the HK45c, if the grips are to small you can buy a extended 10 rounds magazine for it or just buy a HK45ct with the threaded barrel, night sights and extended mags. That will be my next purchase.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just an option that the HK45ct come with the extended mags and night sites, which of course makes it bigger to CC. If not just get the HK45c if ultimately used for CC. SEALs adopted the HK45ct as one of their side arms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Forgot to add, use an IWB holster, keep it as close as possible to the place you train with, and just be aware when you bend down to pick up kids and all that jazz.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get a feel of the HK45c, if the grips are to small you can buy a extended 10 rounds magazine for it or just buy a HK45ct with the threaded barrel, night sights and extended mags. That will be my next purchase.
How would a threaded barrel work for CC? What's the difference sights and night sights? I'm a newbie, take pity on me!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Email or call Mike, here is the link to his site. He is a member here and I just purchased a HK45ct v3, it has a decock only and no safety vs the variant 1 which has safety lever with decock. I also bought a 8 round mag to get the compact feel.

The threaded barrel is just made so you could screw on a suppressor or a flash hider for tactical purpose. The night sights are made to aim in the dark, the dots glows.
Cross Creek Guns

Basically it's a upgraded HK45c with a threaded barrel, two extended 10 rounds mag instead of 8 rounds and a upgraded night sites. Here is H&K site so you can compare the specs.
Heckler & Koch - USA

·
Registered
387 Posts
Since you are more of a "large frame" guy, a small pistol isn't really necessary. For a decent grip, you might take a look at the P30 series. With your hands and frame, tucking it in shouldn't be an issue as it would for me (5'7" & 155#). P30 also has the ability to "tailor" the grip for your hand size with the back-strap and side grips being interchangeable. Just my $.02 worth. "Welcome to the real world."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you explain the advantages/disadvanatages of decocking with safety, without safety? Not even sure that is correct. I see and hear the terms but I'm not sure I understand it.

What's the difference between side grips and back strap? I thought they were the same.

Thanks folks. you have been great in helping me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
From Wikipedia

Decocker

Most traditional double-action semi-automatic (DA/SA) pistols are designed to be carried with the hammer down (uncocked) on a chambered round, with or without a manual safety engaged. The pistol is considered safe in this state as the "double-action" pull that both cocks and fires the firearm is both longer and heavier than the "single-action" pull that simply releases the cocked hammer. However, the act of cycling the action on such a firearm (as a natural consequence of discharging the firearm, or to chamber the first round) will leave the hammer cocked in single-action mode. To return the pistol to its safe state, it is necessary to uncock (decock) the hammer, usually by holding the hammer spur, carefully pulling the trigger, and then slowly lowering the hammer on the firing pin. This process is dangerous if done carelessly or in adverse conditions, and violates the third rule of gun safety; "keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire".

A decocker or manual decocking lever allows the hammer to be dropped on a live cartridge without risk of discharging it, usually by blocking the hammer or retracting or covering the firing pin before releasing the sear. This eliminates the need to control the fall of the hammer although, since all mechanisms can fail, it is necessary to keep the muzzle of the gun pointed in a safe direction while decocking.

A decock/safety is a combination manual safety switch and decocking lever. Two popular variants exist. In the "three-way" system, made popular by Heckler & Koch pistols, the handler may decock the firearm by pushing down on the safety lever from the "Fire" setting, or engage the safety (even on a cocked firearm) by pushing the lever upwards. A simpler "two-way" system was popularized by the Walther PP and is also commonly seen on the Beretta 92: engaging the safety also decocks the firearm.

The Sig Sauer line of pistols, such as the SIG P226, frequently feature decocking levers. The earliest use of a single-action decocker was the Vis Wz 35 redesign in 1932 to enable horsemen to safely holster their firearm with one hand.[2] The earliest use of a cocking/decocking lever is the Sauer 38H from 1938. Ruger until 2007 manufactured "decock-only" variants of its P-series pistols, and the "two-way" decocking safety has been available on these pistols since their introduction.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Backstrap is the part of the grip along the vertical axis on the back side of the grip. It fits into the center of the palm of your hand with a normal grip. On the P30 there are also side plates which can be altered to fill out the grip (cheeks). These are a series of three different sets which can be "mixed or matched" and are installed once the backstrap has been removed. They are held in place by a dovetail shape which is secured by the backstrap once it is put into its slot. It is as close to a "custom" grip as you will find and helps with a proper grip for good grip and trigger control. Herte's a video which might help you understand how it works, better than talking about it. Best, tim

H&K p30 interchangeable backstraps. - YouTube

1 - 20 of 22 Posts