HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

Have just joined: first post, so I thought I should introduce myself. I have a USP 9mm full size which I use for IPSC here in Namibia, where I'm currently working.

I was looking for a Beretta 92FS as that's what I was previously familiar with, but there aren't any imported here. Local options were Ruger, CZ, SIG and Glock, but the USP seemed to best fit the manual safety that I'm used to, so that's what I went with. The P3 had great grips but no manual safety and cost more. The USP being Beretta's only direct competition in the US army trials also helped!

Cost wise, handguns are expensive here and for some reason Glocks cost about the same as HK (but don't sell as well, apparently). But I've used Glocks before and didn't like the feel, or the lack of a manual safety. The SIG met my early Beretta-like preference for metal frames, but was even more expensive than either, and at the time the CZs were all compacts, and felt too small for my hands. The Rugers were all shiny finishes and my preference runs to matte.

There's no magazine-capacity restriction here so 15 rounds is standard.

The only US handgun ammunition available here is jacketed Hornady hollow point. Otherwise it's South African Denel/PMP, NGA or Russian Barnaul. I tried 50 rounds of Barnaul but have never had a dirtier gun afterwards, so I guess I'll be sticking to South African from now on.

I've put about 250 rounds through the USP on the range so far and will be at the Windhoek IPSC tomorrow!

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
Congrats on your USP. Take some pics of your gun and country. It be nice to see that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts