HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I acquired an unfired USP .45 Expert, Variant 1 from a colleague at work. I am not a newbie to handguns, but I am a newbie to HK handguns, esp. the USP series. I am used to SIG handguns and S&W revolvers. My agency issued me a SIG 228. My personal handguns range from a SIG 245 to an XD-45 Tactical and a growing assortment of S&W .45 ACP revolvers. Why did I get the USP Expert? It's a .45 ACP and I'm wedded to that caliber from a very long career in USG service. My agency uses HK long guns and I've come to respect the quality of HK guns. We also had an HK rep bring a slew of handguns to one of our range days to play with and I got to shoot a couple of them. But I only paid less than half price for the gun and four 12-round mags than what just the gun would have cost full retail. I just could not pass up the opportunity.

The trigger action on the Expert is quite a bit different than the SIGs. I intend to send it to a 'smith for trigger action work, probably GrayGuns. But first I need to take it to a range and get acquainted with it. There is the polygonal barrel, which I still don't understand. I know what conventional rifling is, but polygonal is something I've never used. I also noticed the O-ring on the barrel. Should I find a spare as well as a recoil spring? I discovered the "proprietary" lock-out feature in the mag well after i was tipped off from another forum and read the last page of the manual about it. The gun didn't come with a key, but it is not locked. I am tempted to put Lok-Tite in the mechanism to ensure it doesn't become locked. I saw nothing in the manual that would leave me to believe I should adopt special cleaning or maintenance procedures. What do you say?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you should stick to the Sig's and sell me your Expert! Seriously, you should just sell it to me, but if you must keep it I would shoot a few hundred rounds thru her before you decide to have the trigger work. Also dont worry about the lock. Just leave it alone and enjoy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol. You sound like another colleague from work who hesitated and missed out on my purchase. When I mentioned the lock to him, he whispered, "It will always be there waiting...waiting...waiting to fail you when you can't afford failure. Better you should sell it to me and I'll relegate it to range duty only and not even rely on it for home defense. Why take a chance, Bud?" Isn't he a prince among men?

I do plan to fire a hundred or so rounds through it and take notes before I send it to Scott @ GrayGuns. He emailed me that he would be ready to receive it in three or four weeks.

Of course, I invite others to tell me of their experiences with the USP .45 Expert. Nobody I know has fired one.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Love my Experts!

Just got my Expert 45 a few weeks ago, and what little I have gotten to shoot it it peformed exactly as I expected...great! I also own a 40 Expert, and they are both very nice range guns. I am noticeably more accurate with them than with my standard USP 40. I am in the opposite situation as Spence. He has a 9, looking for a 40 and 45. I have the 40 and 45, now looking for a 9!

Anyway, enjoy your new toy Ops Officer, I think that you will find it to be a keeper. Spare o-rings are not hard to find (although the one on there should last along time, I haven't had to change one yet). And as long as you don't try to fiddle with the lockout device it should stay put. Give HK USA a call if you want a replacement key, I'm sure that they would provide you one.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read in the manual under the section for the Expert pistol that I have match trigger parts. How are these parts different than the regular USP trigger parts? What is the net result for the shooter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
the match trigger is already less than a 4 lb pull and pretty crisp..how could you possibly improve on it? what is your complaint with it?.the take up bothers 1911 diehards, but I feel like it is the best trigger on any gun I have except a s&w revolver when shot in SA.

congrats on the hard to find 45 expert.. you can turn that into a nice profit since they are one of the hardest to find special models of the USP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Polygonal barrels are a different process from traditional rifling and if you research on it it will explain it well. You may also hear mixed feelings on whether to shoot non-jacketed ammo through it, since lead may build up faster in the barrel than with a traditionally rifled barrel. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I only feed my guns FMJs anyway.

Anyway, does anyone where I may find replacement recoil springs for the Expert 45? Are they the same as the standard USP 45?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts