HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm basically completely new to guns. I know a little bit about guns but not much. Where should I start? I don't know what to do. I will take any advice.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Hey Zooy,
FIRST THING ALWAYS... TREAT EVERY GUN AS IF IT WERE LOADED, ALWAYS KEEP YOUR TRIGGER FINGER OFF OF THE TRIGGER AND ON THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE IT. ONCE THE BULLIT LEAVES THE BARREL YOU CAN'T STOP IT OR TRY TO CALL IT BACK. IT'S GONE AND MIGHT KILL SOMEONE! ALWAYS MAKE SURE OF WHAT IS BEHIND YOUR TARGET TOO! NEVER POINT A FIREARM AT ANYONE UNLESS YOUR READY TO KILL THEM AND TAKE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE AND WILL EVER HAVE FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE! NEVER LEAVE A GUN WHERE A CHILD CAN REACH IT, EVER!!!!

That said...
If your a small handed operator, get a compact pistol. If your hands are larger, get a larger frame pistol like a USP (universel self-loading pistol). Make sure you can operate the safety lever (right or left side) on any pistol you buy WITHOUT HAVING TO MOVE YOUR HAND FROM THE PISTOL GRIP! Or with as little movement as possable? You don't want to be fumbiling around with the pistol, when it comes time to release the safety or the slide release. Espically in a combat or self-defense situation. You can purchase a USP .40 compact and buy a .357 sig barrel for it off of HKParts.net. It is easy to swap out the barrels and you will have 2 pistols for the price of 1. The .40 compact magazine handle's both rounds so you wont need to buy new mags or even a different holster. A .357 sig reaches the muzzle velocity and stopping power of a .357 magnum! The .40 caliber is equivlent to a light 10mm in velocity and stopping power.
The USPf (f=full size) is the full size pistol and holds a few more rounds then the compact models. The USPc (c=compact) .40 holds 10 or 12 rounds, depending on what year the pistol was made. During the Clinton ban from 1994-2004, the magazines came with 10 round magazines. After 2004 the high capacity magazines became legal to own and purchase again. Both 10 and 12 round magazines fit in the same pistol. There are 9 different trigger options available in both the USP and USP compact's. Look on the HK website (civilian) and look around a little. You will learn a lot from just reading about the different pistols available on that website! The newer HK pistols come with a "keyed lockout divice" located in the magazine housing for when your leaving home for a vacation or if there are children around the house.

Also, use plenty of gun oil on the barrel and in the hammer area, espically when the pistol is dis-assembled for cleaning! When you buy a new pistol, make sure the seller or gunshop instruct's you on the correct dis-assembly and re-assembly procedure of what ever pistol you buy. If necessary, go back after you shoot it and have them show you again, even if it take's a few times so you know how to SAFELY AND CORRECTLY clean a firearm!

I hope this helps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think this will help a lot. You sound like you really know what you are talking about. Since you are a senior member I would asome that you have been using guns for a while and you would know what you were talking about. Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
And take a gun safety course. Educate yourself on gun ownership, the responsibilities that come with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
While AGG is correct, your weapon can serve multiple purposes. My XD45 is a duty/home defense gun. I don't have a duty use for it at the moment, but... yeah. You get the idea. It still is a good idea to decide what those purposes are though.

Gun safety course is a great idea. Hell, take NRA basic pistol. That should help big time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts