HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to get back into another MP5-type carbine as I loved the one I had to get rid of a while back.

I used to have a SW SP10 9mm carbine but after 800rounds the thing started the usual problems feeding and ejecting. Replacing parts made it better, but still not 100%, so I gave up.

Are the currently sold HK clones any better than the old ones? I don't want to spend $$$$ on another thing that is not reliable enough to finish a 30round mag after 800 total rounds fired.

Thanks guys & gals.

<EDIT> Sorry for the typos. I'm typing in the dark.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think they've come a long way, especially in the last couple of years. My clone (less than 1 year old) has never had any feeding ejecting problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear. I loved my SP10 9mm when I had it but got frustrated with it.

Which ones sohould I be looking at then? What do you have?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I picked up a used SW-5 & just put 150 rounds through it.
It ran fine, no issues...

·
Registered
422 Posts
My cast recevier SW5 works perfect. Probably over five years old now.
But this is not fair because IGF had alot to do with the "Perfect" part of my sentence.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So cohaire is a good company to go with then?

I know the SP10 externally is not an MP5 clone but internally it is. I just like the body style.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good to hear. I loved my SP10 9mm when I had it but got frustrated with it.

Which ones sohould I be looking at then? What do you have?
I've got a CA89 pistol (waiting on SBR stamp). Been surprisingly reliable for how inexpensive it was.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So cohaire is a good company to go with then?
No idea. I got mine off gunbroker.com from Todd. Oh and the finish isn't the greatest in the world (paint is very thick). That's my only complaint.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would love to have had a go at fixing some of those malfunctioning $#-5's. Mine was finicky a first. I replaced the extractor spring and have had one or two malfunctions in seven years, when using Winchster white box bulk ammo. As I stated years ago, If I spent that much on a firearm and it malfunctioned, I would send it back for repair. I think the current crop of HK94 clones work well.

My HK94 would hiccup from time to time. It had a lot to do with ammo.

JPG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A local gunstore has a new cohaire ca94 with fake suppressor, for $1300.

Whatcha'll think?

Also I found that Cohaire Arms is not a viable business in AZ anymore. The state canceled their business status in April of this year? WTH?

·
Registered
42 Posts

Whatcha'll think?

Everystore is intitled to make a profit.

Reviews are mixed with Coharie Arms. My gun is 100%, some others have had issues with their guns. I think most of the problems are with the cheap ass out of spec mag they supply with the gun. The one I got with the gun smelled like gasoline so bad my wife threw it in the trash, so I never got to test the gun with that magazine. With factory H&K and POF magazines it's be 100%. I haven't tested all ammo types but with the ones I have it hasn't had an issue. I do have a 9mm hammer spring coming and plan to test out some of the ammo that Coharie does NOT recommend. I'll post my results when I can.

Also I found that Cohaire Arms is not a viable business in AZ anymore. The state canceled their business status in April of this year? WTH?
When on got mine on 03.23.07 it was shipped directly to me from:
Tactical Weapons Training Academy
Coharie Arms
1245 N Mondel Drive
Gilbert AZ 85233

The gun itself is stamped:
Coharie Arms Inc
Spring Lake MI

Looks like Wendy is falling behind in the coporate paperwork, It can happen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There is someone selling a vector/cohaire CA94 for $900 in the classifieds section, with supposedly 400rounds, but I'm just worried I'll fall into the same problems I've had with my SW SP10. Dammit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You never know really, because unless you fire it yourself with your ammo and magazine, it's hard to tell. What's the issue with SP10 anyway. I heard that the plastic receiver doesnt' hold up well even the action is the same.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most likely you'll have to replace some of the parts with genuine German parts to get it to run 100%. Usually the extractor, extractor spring and hammer springs are the problem children that cause failures to extract. And his ejectors and firing pins are made of soft steel that peens easily, unlike real HK parts. Replace them ASAP.

Oh, and the plastic trigger boxes are very prone to breaking. Todd's plastic is NOT equal to HK's steel. These days he is even offering newly made steel trigger boxes as an added cost upgrade.

However, even with all the replacement parts you might need to purchase you can still get into a running clone gun for around half of what a real HK costs.

·
Registered
611 Posts

Whatcha'll think?

Don't know what crack your smoking but both Cohaire Arms and Cohaire Ordanance Factory are both in good standing by the state of Arizona.
http://starpas.azcc.gov/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/ws179.p

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Overall Cohaire is a good gun, barring any extreme out of spec situation.

I had a falling out with them when I emailed them about warranty issues. They built the gun with a "k" locking piece in my CA94 and the gun was over-functioning beating the crap out of the stock/carrier (my shoulder) I asked for them to send a 100 degree locking piece and they were rude/condescending and would only offer a refund...no repair or even to send me the stupid 25 dollar part.

My experience with my CA94 was low-quality parts like the bolt, ejector and trigger pack, mag etc.

You can tell that the company cuts corners in huge ways with quality in workmanship. Especially in the tooling of the metal trigger pack frame; however the finish isnt too bad.

What I will say is that the gun is affordable and once you replace certain key parts with HK made parts you have a kick ass shooter. that is still much cheaper than the authentic HK alternative.

Plus, whenever Clinton gets in office *ugh... all of the these scarry firearms will probably be permanently legislated into non-existance, er go our net worth with increase because they will be pre-ban.

Win-Lose Scenario...

P.S. For anyone looking to buy one of these add 190 dollars to the final cost because I can guarantee you will need to buy a HK extractor spring, strutted 9mm hammer and a HK ejector from Adam Webber or Gordon Miller

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Don't know what crack your smoking but both Cohaire Arms and Cohaire Ordanance Factory are both in good standing by the state of Arizona.

Umm no offense but unless you do some homework on the subject, please don't say anything smart azzed and make yourself look like a tool..

The AZ Corp commission has a pending revocation on file that was sent out on April 6th 2007 to Wendy L Bailey (listed as president/director) of Coharie Arms since 4/8/2005. This is publicly accessible information BTW.

I was just wondering if they were even still in business considering all the footwork the past few years with them changing names and ownership and all that good stuff we've all heard about.

The problem I've had with my SW SP10 was a FTE/FTF issue with ANY type of ammo. The extractor and extractor spring were replaced with real HK and then the 'better' golden ones from coharie arms, neither of which fixed the issue 100%.

Ty Seth, I'll Factor that into the price when I find one then. Maybe I'll buy a used one and order those parts immediately just to get things started well-off. Looks like I'll pass on the new one for $1300.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts