HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently acquired a USP Elite in .45 ACP and I'm very impressed. I'm a long time gun owner with most major makes represented in my collection, but for whatever reason, I've never owned a Heckler & Koch unti now. Now that I've gotten the bug, I'm on the search for a P7M8. My question is about an aftermarket coating. I've read about the gas port issues with this model and some have suggested Robar's NP3+. I've had other pistols worked on with Robar coatings added and I'm very happy with their work. Once I acquire the P7M8, I plan to send it to Robar. I'm partial to having Roguard on the exterior of the pistol with NP3 internals. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Suggestion:

There's no issues with the gas port necessitating a refinish.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My p7 with the dark earth finish on the lower was very difficult to cycle the first couple hundred rounds. After firing a box I almost could not jack the slide back.

I put a small bore crush on a drill and "polished" the inside of the gas port. Problem solved

I suspect the coating made the gas piston bind a bit... Now it's like butter.

My new p7 has original factory finish and cycles even smoother.

FYI

Sent from my iPhone 😡
(I'd rather be at the range trying to wear out my Not-LNIB gun collection.... Let's call it a BTS Beat To **** collection)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There have been a few issues with people sending P7's to refinishers who then screw them up; either by coating the gas tube or the gas ports, or putting the drop safety out of spec. I'm not knocking Robar, just saying. And if you are going to get one refinished, please do the P7 fanyboys (me included) a favor and try to find one that needs mill work too. Refinishing a prime Chantilly or Sterling should be a crime IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, gents. I'm looking for a gently used model, but certainly not a NIB. What did the New Jersey State Police do with theirs? I'm seeing pistols that supposedly have 200 rounds through them priced in the $1,400.00 to $1,600.00 range. I agree that pristine pistols of this model should not be tampered with.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks for the input, gents. I'm looking for a gently used model, but certainly not a NIB. What did the New Jersey State Police do with theirs? I'm seeing pistols that supposedly have 200 rounds through them priced in the $1,400.00 to $1,600.00 range. I agree that pristine pistols of this model should not be tampered with.
Unfortunately, the best info I read stated that the NJSP P7M8's were melted down.

At the same time, because of NJSP's ammo selection those guns were well worn and past the end of useful service...to the point that it caused this. So I don't think we're really missing out on much unless HK were to put a lot of work into refurbishing them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts