HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greeting Guys,

As mentioned a while ago, I'm a recent convert from Sig to HK. I have a local shop willing to give me a good price for my last Sig -- my P226R. As far as HK's, I have a VP9 and a P30L v3 (so far).

I'm debating on what to use this credit for (or if some feel I should keep the Sig). I'm leaning towards the HK45 v1 full-size, but the store also happens to have a USP 9 and a USP 40, which are also appealing and hard to find around here. I'm sure I'll eventually get all of them (ha!) but just curious on opinions for which one to be next. Just for the record, I also have a couple 1911's and an M&P Shield 9 (do not own any .40's but not a strong desire to have one after shooting many over the years).

Curious to know if there's any reasons why the USP's might be good to have if I already have a VP9 and P30L, or if it would be pretty much redundant and I should just take the HK45. Appreciate the help as always guys.

-Djm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Get the USP...you won't regret it. Plus it is like artwork to just look at.

USP's in 9mm are few and far between from my experience over the last 12-24 months with the P30 and VP9 out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the USP...you won't regret it. Plus it is like artwork to just look at.

USP's in 9mm are few and far between from my experience over the last 12-24 months with the P30 and VP9 out.
Appreciate it, just wondering if I really need another 9mm already having 3 of them...

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I've come to a conclusion. If you buy the HK45 you will say "The USP is a great pistol, but I prefer the HK45." If you buy the USP you will say "The HK45 is a great pistol, but I prefer the USP." There is no wrong answer to your question.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
USP though older seems to have a 'cult like' following, so I guess I'll have to find one and try it out. The HK45 is the progression "next generation" of the USP, so is my understanding anyway, and several folks mentioned the USP (at least the 45) grip is made for larger hands, so I went with HK45 and a 45C. I like the 'batman' grips on the full size, as similar to my VP9s in feel, just a tad larger due to caliber.

the HKPro answer is usually, get both, so I'll be on the lookout for both 9 and 45 versions. I'll see if my local range has one I can rent first, to make sure my mid-size mitts fit it comfortably.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have both Sigs and HK's (and others) and the 226 never fit me though I have owned two of them. I'm now onto USPc's (have one in .45 and one in 9, looking for another in 9) and prefer that platform. I vote for the USP - either full size if that fits your hand better, or compact if you are going to carry as well. Over engineered like the Sig's so you won't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have both USPs and P30s. The choice really comes down to which fits your hand better. Internally the USPs and P30 are too similar, other than the location of the decocker on the V3 P30s, to base a choice on the mechanics of the guns.

The P30's grip (which as you no doubt already know, is similar to the HK45's) is sorta amazing how it "just feels so right" in the hand.

That said, I shoot my USPs more than the P30s, even though I'm left-handed -- there's something about the "modern 1911" feel of the USPs that appeals to me like no other gun, and I'm one of those that likes the block-ish shape of the grip.

But my tastes are irrelevant to what you need to do: hold both (even better, shoot both).

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Dump the 226 and get the hk45....or wait for the vp45 which will arrive sometime in the next 10 years. Can't go wrong with the hk45 though. It's such a wonderful firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Curious to know if there's any reasons why the USP's might be good to have if I already have a VP9 and P30L, or if it would be pretty much redundant and I should just take the HK45. Appreciate the help as always guys.
I also own a VP9 and P30L. I tried a couple USPs and they did not do it for me. IMO go for the HK45. I really dig mine.

Be sure you won't have any regrets selling the P226 though as that is one heck of a great pistol.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I voted HK45 eight times.... Ooops

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Since you have a p30, why not break the mold and go back to the 9mm USP. I think it fits your gun needs. If you're going 45, while the USP is timeless, the HK45 stands alone.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I prefer and use the USP exclusively, and have since January of 1994, but with a grip reduction that eliminates the horrible cheese-grater checkering on front and back straps. If you are willing to invest the extra cash for a grip reduction from Enhanced Precision Products, Cold Bore Customs, Robar, or 610 Precision, I would say USP all the way. If not, then get the HK45.

Alternatively, some on this board actually prefer the aggressive ergonomics on the HK USP, so if that is the case in your situation, then there is truly no wrong choice.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I prefer and use the USP exclusively, and have since January of 1994, but with a grip reduction that eliminates the horrible cheese-grater checkering on front and back straps. If you are willing to invest the extra cash for a grip reduction from Enhanced Precision Products, Cold Bore Customs, Robar, or 610 Precision, I would say USP all the way. If not, then get the HK45.

Alternatively, some on this board actually prefer the aggressive ergonomics on the HK USP, so if that is the case in your situation, then there is truly no wrong choice.
Wouldn't a pair of shooting gloves been cheaper ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a USP .40 and really like what I've read about the HK45c. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to part with the USP in favor of the 45?

The USP I have also has an OD green lower so I would have to have the 45 in the same color.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts