HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting my MR556 lower engraved with my trust info(***** Trust, Houston TX) next week and I was looking for some good suggestions on where to have it done. Every engraver I talk to says they can not engrave the trigger guard. I only have 19 letters total to engrave.

There is so much writing and engravings on the MR556 lower that I hate to add more on the right side magwell, which is the simple choice to engrave it.

Anyone seen any pics of engraved MR556 lowers or have any good ideas??

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jayson at IGF engraved one of my AR SBR in the area above the trigger on the receiver. 18 letters.
DD** TRUST
A******, TX
Good info, thanks! I can get him to engrave my lower when he is modding the upper. I have 19 letters total so it should fit like yours did.

On another note, is it legal for me to ship and possess the lower and 10.4" barreled upper together since my Form 1 has not been approved yet. I bought a cheap complete pistol lower to sit next to the MR556 modded upper in the safe until I get my stamp approved, just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Why do you need to ship the upper and lower together? Do you have another F1 approved AR lower? If you do you can have in your possession any length upper. If not I would make sure that MR upper is on the pistol lower until you have that stamp.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you need to ship the upper and lower together? Do you have another F1 approved AR lower? If you do you can have in your possession any length upper. If not I would make sure that MR upper is on the pistol lower until you have that stamp.
I don't need to but he is doing both jobs so would be benefical on shipping and simpler to send them both to him together. Actually I can send the rifle(upper & lower) with out issues because it is legal 16.5" barrel. After the mod I may ask Jayson(IGF) to send the upper & lower back to me in seperate packages to comply with laws but will add to shipping price. And this is my first form 1 lower.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
You are having the upper cut down to 10.4 inches. Is this correct? You can send the whole gun, sure but I bet Jayson won't send it back together. You better check on that. He made me an AKS-74U and engraved it and all but it had to have a fake can on it with a simple spot weld. When I got my stamp it took five minutes to drill out the weld on put on the proper 4 piece muzzle device. I thought you already had the 10.4 upper.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are having the upper cut down to 10.4 inches. Is this correct? You can send the whole gun, sure but I bet Jayson won't send it back together. You better check on that. He made me an AKS-74U and engraved it and all but it had to have a fake can on it with a simple spot weld. When I got my stamp it took five minutes to drill out the weld on put on the proper 4 piece muzzle device. I thought you already had the 10.4 upper.
Yes I am having him cut down the barrel to 10.4 and mod the gas block. I talked to Jayson and he said what you did, he will send the upper and lower back to me seperately. I have a Pelican 1700 case to ship him my gun but need some kind of cardboard box that the Pelican will fit in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It is my understanding that your SBR markings can go on the upper or even the barrel, if you want. That would save you from all the trouble of having to send the lower with it.

I may have read that on a sticky post in the NFA section of this forum.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is my understanding that your SBR markings can go on the upper or even the barrel, if you want. That would save you from all the trouble of having to send the lower with it.
I thought about that since I never plan run another upper on this lower. Some guys don't like engraving on the upper because then you can not swap different uppers on the registered lower.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Never say never.

Is there any reason you couldn't mark the other upper as well? For that matter, if you did decide to get another upper later, you could always decide at that time whether to mark the lower, or keep marking uppers. As long as the firearm is never assembled as an SBR without markings, there shouldn't be any problems.

My thought was always that it's the barrel that makes it NFA and makes the markings necessary, so the markings might as well be attached to that. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks....

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Barrel, Receiver, or Frame is what NFA requires.

Receiver or Frame is specified by which part is considered the firearm by BATFE.

Upper receiver of an AR15 is just a part, so only barrel or lower receiver meets the requirement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts