HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I just get the NFA trust and hopefully cut down on the wait time or go CLEO route? Any WA people have opinions about this?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't have any information on a Cleo sign-off, but I do have addressed. If you decide to go to the trust route, it has a number benefits to protect your property from when you might pass on. It also allows you to have any number of persons in the trust that can access that property. Personally, if I went trust her out, I would justadd myself as the settler / trustee, send off for the stamps, and then when they come back at any number of people that I want.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Unless WA has some state specific laws on NFA items you no longer need CLEO sign off on Class III items post 41F even as an individual. That being said, I would still go trust for the benefits already mentioned.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how do I set up a trust, do I contact the gun store and ask for a lawyer referral or do I go to one of these websites that have like 120 dollar fee and they file it for me?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
My recommendation would be to look for a NFA lawyer in your state via via a little Google-fu. Laws change and they will be up to date on this. There is no "filing" as the trust is official once it has been witnessed and notarized. At least that is how it worked for me. A side benefit has been that my guy answers follow up questions via email, as I had a son moving out of state for work.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
WA has no state-specific NFA laws as they follow the federal laws. You just have to do CLEO notification, and can do so with either an individual application, or trust application. If you go with a trust, you also fill out a "Responsible Persons Questionnaire" and send that in too.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
The Trust is the smartest way to go but please do not rely on the ones you can find online. The greatest benefit of the Trust is the ability to share NFA items with multiple people but most online Trusts I've seen are not well written. Find a competent attorney in your state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts