HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to have my USPc 45 slide treated with either Hard chrome (satin finish) or Nickel Boron. Im reading a lot of good things about Nickel Boron but I dont know anyone local who have tried this. Would appreciate thoughts on those who have tried it on their slides on the 2 points:

1. I hear oiling is not necessary anymore when slide is on NB?
2. Either way, does the internal parts of the receiver and slide need to treated as well? Barrel? If yes, why?

I think I have not thought of other possible issues yet, but Im open to suggestions.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hard chrome will be cheaper and faster. It will provide a durable finish for your gun.
Nickel boron is awesome though. It is vitually indestructable, and has a natural lubricty. Yes, you can run your gun without lube. Most people will advise you to still oil your gun, but plenty of people (including manufacturers) have tseted many guns dry. I have not even heard rumor of a failure yet. I've seen it on everything from AR bolt groups to entire 1911 pistols. I know some guys that sent guns to "Fail Zero" to have them NB coated, and they love it. They did not like waiting almost a year to get thier guns back, but they both said that it was worth the wait. I did not want to be without mine for that long, so I went with a satinless gun. Another friend of mine that did not want to wait put chrome on his gun. He has not had any issues, but swears he will send the next one to FZ. Last time I checked, Fail Zero will coat your barrel a slide, not small parts. I think having your action coated with NB would be sweet, but it's not necessary, and I don't think FZ will do it. I am not promoting Fail Zero, I just don't know who else will do it, but I believe there are others. If you can wait for however long it takes to do the work, I would go nickel boron. I'm not so patient, and personally didn't want to be without my piece for that long, but NB is great for a carry gun.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Go Nibx.....I have Glock 17 nibX.....It's awesome! Read up on it! I would not hesitate to have it done to an HK! I think it would look badass! Yes, I still use light coating of ballistol or whatnot! That's just me!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Take a look at Robar website. I'm having my P2000 SK 40 S&W done in NP3+. Good CS as well. Some of the LEs here have their done by Robar.

Robar's Home Page

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Take a look at Robar website. I'm having my P2000 SK 40 S&W done in NP3+. Good CS as well. Some of the LEs here have their done by Robar.

Robar's Home Page
He's asking specifically about NB and HC.

According to his location, he won't be able to consider Robar either.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I see alot of the new finishes claiming it can be run dry, Im sure its possible. Bottom line on all this hype is, keep a light coating of oil on your H&K, NO matter what finish youre using! I have pistols, Colt & H&K with hard chrome slides/entire pistol hard chromed, I run a light coat of oil on all of them. Metal to metal should have oil, no matter that finish it has.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Question for the OP: After reading this post I am now interested in the process myself. I looked through Robar's page, but I don't see the NB (It's not the same as NP3, right?). Where would you be getting that work done?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I see alot of the new finishes claiming it can be run dry, Im sure its possible. Bottom line on all this hype is, keep a light coating of oil on your H&K, NO matter what finish youre using! I have pistols, Colt & H&K with hard chrome slides/entire pistol hard chromed, I run a light coat of oil on all of them. Metal to metal should have oil, no matter that finish it has.
+10 on this. No new finish will never truly remove oil from the equation

·
Registered
304 Posts
My ar builder said that they will no longer use bolts in hard chrome. They have had some problems...But nickel boron seems to be the dream ticket.

NOTICE: ar15 isn't a USP...I know.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Question for the OP: After reading this post I am now interested in the process myself. I looked through Robar's page, but I don't see the NB (It's not the same as NP3, right?). Where would you be getting that work done?
I'm wondering the same thing now. I want to send out my USP-SD to get some type of coating. Either a NiB or NP3+ but the only time I heard of NP3 was Robar's site. Has anyone sent their HK anywhere besides failzero for a NiB coating?

·
Registered
363 Posts
He's asking specifically about NB and HC.

According to his location, he won't be able to consider Robar either.
Do they not accept from outside the USA??? If not that would be a pity. Their finishes are highly durable. I have a pistol being sent there as soon as the smith work is done on it. I have had work done there before and the end result is total satisfaction. Can you run the gun dry-yes. Should you-no. Its more of a SHTF I don't have any lube type scenario, it will last longer but a little oil goes a long way with the NP3+. The added benefit to it is cleaning. Nothing sticks to it, if its a flat surface, wipe it with a rag, otherwise just a nylon toothbrush takes everything off. It is especially nice for AR bolt groups. How good are the Robar finishes? Its who Wilson Combat uses to do ALL the finishes on ALL of their weapons. That is a true feather in their cap and a ringing endorsement. Plus they will coat ALL parts of the gun including the small parts save for springs or pins.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Do they not accept from outside the USA??? If not that would be a pity. Their finishes are highly durable. I have a pistol being sent there as soon as the smith work is done on it. I have had work done there before and the end result is total satisfaction. Can you run the gun dry-yes. Should you-no. Its more of a SHTF I don't have any lube type scenario, it will last longer but a little oil goes a long way with the NP3+. The added benefit to it is cleaning. Nothing sticks to it, if its a flat surface, wipe it with a rag, otherwise just a nylon toothbrush takes everything off. It is especially nice for AR bolt groups. How good are the Robar finishes? Its who Wilson Combat uses to do ALL the finishes on ALL of their weapons. That is a true feather in their cap and a ringing endorsement. Plus they will coat ALL parts of the gun including the small parts save for springs or pins.
It's not a matter of "them." It's a matter of ITAR.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Robar just confirmed via eMail that they do not accept any work from outside the US. This is due to the paperwork with the BATF and international laws.

Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to you all:) my Hk uspc 45 is going to my local gun smith for Nickel Boron treatment. I'm not sure if it's the same as FZ or Robars but from what i see it looks great. For 100usd equivalent, I get treatment including internal parts. Will post it once it's done.

International laws on sending gun part across the world is pretty strict so I have to deal with what I can get here. The only thing missing is ballistol. I'm searching and there does not seem anything that says its not allowed to be sent overseas but all the websites that I have tried visiting pretty much bars my IP address from going to the purchase phase. If anyone knows a site that can sell internationally.... I would owe you a keg of beer:)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks to you all:) my Hk uspc 45 is going to my local gun smith for Nickel Boron treatment. I'm not sure if it's the same as FZ or Robars but from what i see it looks great. For 100usd equivalent, I get treatment including internal parts. Will post it once it's done.

International laws on sending gun part across the world is pretty strict so I have to deal with what I can get here. The only thing missing is ballistol. I'm searching and there does not seem anything that says its not allowed to be sent overseas but all the websites that I have tried visiting pretty much bars my IP address from going to the purchase phase. If anyone knows a site that can sell internationally.... I would owe you a keg of beer:)
Be careful with promising that keg of beer.....I have a good chance of living in the Philippines, and will most definitely be visiting there in the future...:wink:

Have you tried Amazon? If anyone can ship it to you, Amazon would be able to since they actually are just a clearinghouse for various stores. You order it from Amazon, but it will actually ship from <insert favorite store>......so Amazon should automatically find <insert favorite store> that will ship it to the Philippines.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used Gun Coating | Firearm Coating for my AR upper BCG and Geissele trigger in Nickel Boron. I don't know where some get the idea that it takes a year I had everything back in 2 weeks. They did fantastic work and were able to answer all my questions.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks TGS. I tried amazon but they only deliver to USA address...sucks:( I am good for the keg of beer... Ballistol.. ballistol.. ballistol. System again seems to be blocking my IP.

Nonetheless, my HK USPC 45 had been dropped off at my local gun smith. A week to wait...I already feel it is too long. So I went to the range with the P2000 and USP 45 to feel better. Im better now.

Do let me know if anyone comes, the keg :) for a can of ballistol.

thanks all for the help. Will post pics once treatment is done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uspc 45 picked up today from gunsmith:) looks squeaky brand new:) except the polymer and non-magnetic parts ....all were treated with NB. Its not robar or failzero...but i think its worth it especially for EDC.

Probably just me but trigger feel has become smoother... Had to make some adjustments as I could not feel the trigger break initially as it became really smooth:) Downside is that Some deeper rusting areas before has been fully covered by NB finish and is visible now as the treatment covers every bit of damage if any. Slide is softer now to the point that I have to grip harder when trying field strip the pistol as it really is slippery.

Thanks for all recos... Really happy with it. Took it to range and ran 200rds on it flawlessly. Cleaning was quick as most grime could be wiped off by a dry cloth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts