HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone talks about how important it is to get "fresh" night sights and not ones that have been sitting on a dealer's shelves for a couple years. My question is how can any sights be fresh when the US has not produced tritium since 1988.

So where are the sight manufacturers getting their tritrium? Aren't new sights being made with material that has not been refined in a long, long time?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Everyone talks about how important it is to get "fresh" night sights and not ones that have been sitting on a dealer's shelves for a couple years. My question is how can any sights be fresh when the US has not produced tritium since 1988.

So where are the sight manufacturers getting their tritrium? Aren't new sights being made with material that has not been refined in a long, long time?
At least one US source came back online in June, 2007, for replenishing our nukes. Whether they sell any of it to sight mfgs I have no idea. And I'm not sure about the others, but I'm fairly confident that Meprolight's come from Israel.

Basically, the US isn't the only source of tritium gas.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
At least one US source came back online in June, 2007, for replenishing our nukes. Whether they sell any of it to sight mfgs I have no idea. And I'm not sure about the others, but I'm fairly confident that Meprolight's come from Israel.

Basically, the US isn't the only source of tritium gas.
Mepros do in fact come from Israel like you thought

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know about the US and tritium... but I have bought several sets of Meprolights recently, one or two other brands loaded with Trijicon or Ameriglo tubes. One set I owned of Trijicons glowed bright as day 1 ten years later ('94-'04) when I parted ways with that firearm.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can always count on the Israelis to have nuclear material, even if they don't admit it ;) I'm a big fan of Mepro's.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I don't know about the US and tritium... but I have bought several sets of Meprolights recently, one or two other brands loaded with Trijicon or Ameriglo tubes. One set I owned of Trijicons glowed bright as day 1 ten years later ('94-'04) when I parted ways with that firearm.
Tritium has a 12.3 year half life so they were getting close to being half as bright. It doesn't matter who makes them, anything using tritium to excite the coating will decay at the same rate.

But I am interested in the Trijicon tritium/fiber optic sights that have illuminated reticles that never need batteries. I may try one on one of these 93s I have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts