HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post ever. I have a usp SS compact 40 I bought some Heinie straight 8 night sights for it. The gunsmith was showing me he took the regular sights off and started to put the Heinie sights on the gun. First the front sight can be put on by hand real loose. The instructions says put loctite on it. Second the rear sight has a little screw that can be pushed down but there a big gap between the sight and the dovetail. The gunsmith had never installed heinie sights before so he has never run into this problem before. Has anybody else ran into this problem before or does anybody have any tips? :82:

·
Registered
44 Posts
The dove tails for many guns are of different dimensions. appears the sights are not correct and should be returned. Specify the type of gun you are putting the sights on when ordering for a proper fit.

L

·
0 Posts
yes, there is no substitute for proper fitting sights. and even if the guy tries to convince you that the ones you have will work, do not leave there without making things right.( i've had some people try to do this)

just tell them No Compromise

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put on a set of Meprolights myself, if they are too loose, chances are he shaved off too much metal installing them. I think if anything they'd come oversize and require minor sanding or filing to get them in the dovetail. I ended up putting red loc-tite on my front sight to get it to stay, it's been great with no problems. High heat and manly man tools are needed to get it out, I have shot it and pressed against it pretty hard and it's stuck in place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gunsmith I took it to never removed any metal off the sight. He didnt install the sights because it was so loose from the beginning. We tried calling brownells the place I ordered them from but the gun techs had already gone home for the day. I emailed them friday I guess I can wait and see what they say. I would think it would need to be tight in the front dovetail even if you put loctite or not. Has anybody installed meps or trijicons and noticed if they were pretty tight to be pressed in? :95:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've installed about 15 sets of meprolights on USPs. They are all tight. You shouldn't even need loctite on it. One of my USPs has several thousand rounds through it, gets carried everyday for work. Has hit the ground (with me attached) during fights at work and the sights are still right where they need to be. I have noticed that the USP fullsize and compact dovetails are different sizes. Make sure you get the proper size for your gun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard back from brownells and this is what the email said. Does any body know what a compact dovetail dimensions are?

Thanks for the reply. I checked the parts and they measure .215 on the front dovetail with .089 depth and .4065 on the rear dovetail with .179 depth. We don’t have a USP in any caliber or configuration to determine the correct dovetail dimensions, so I can’t compare apples to apples. As an aside the sight we shipped is the sight the manufacturer indicates is correct for your configuration.

:28: :57:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem over had them installed by someone who knows a little more about nights sights. The front sight had to kind of be filled in with something to make it tight. The rear sight had to be filed down a good amount. I really like how they look. Thanks for the help. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts