HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, let's just open the drawer and see what we got.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,212 Posts
Great options, but if you're already using a threaded barrel H&K, go ahead and add suppressor. If you have to use it within the close confines of your home, it will save your hearing and significantly reduce the muzzle flash, which always negatively affects the ability for rapid follow up shots at night. Beyond the noise effect that shooting an unsuppressed pistol in your home would have on you, think about any children you might have. Do you really want them jumping up and running out into the hallway, to now be put in jeopardy if there is more than one intruder, or to have to live with what they see, if they find the bloody pile of bad guy laying on your living room floor.
Also, if your weapon does not have a light mounted to it, you're significantly behind the power curve. Think that a hand held light will work? Well, think of all the things you'll have to do within your home, possibly in complete darkness, that will require the use of one hand. Are you just planning, to tuck that hand held light in the pocket of your boxer shorts when that need arises?
Anyway, I know I've just taken what was intended to be a post just to show off our cool HK pistols, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to expand a bit on the "why" behind that decision and hopefully, you'll read this and also realize the underlying issue; that we all need training to become and maintain proficiency in our shooting. Even if you're taking the time to get to the range and shoot, if you're not training to be proficient with low light/no light shooting, not getting "deliberate practice" in that area, then you're simply not as prepared as you need to be.
I'll be happy to point anyone in the right direction for some great training that will help you with this.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great options, but if you're already using a threaded barrel H&K, go ahead and add suppressor. If you have to use it within the close confines of your home, it will save your hearing and significantly reduce the muzzle flash, which always negatively affects the ability for rapid follow up shots at night. Beyond the noise effect that shooting an unsuppressed pistol in your home would have on you, think about any children you might have. Do you really want them jumping up and running out into the hallway, to now be put in jeopardy if there is more than one intruder, or to have to live with what they see, if they find the bloody pile of bad guy laying on your living room floor.
Also, if your weapon does not have a light mounted to it, you're significantly behind the power curve. Think that a hand held light will work? Well, think of all the things you'll have to do within your home, possibly in complete darkness, that will require the use of one hand. Are you just planning, to tuck that hand held light in the pocket of your boxer shorts when that need arises?
Anyway, I know I've just taken what was intended to be a post just to show off our cool HK pistols, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to expand a bit on the "why" behind that decision and hopefully, you'll read this and also realize the underlying issue; that we all need training to become and maintain proficiency in our shooting. Even if you're taking the time to get to the range and shoot, if you're not training to be proficient with low light/no light shooting, not getting "deliberate practice" in that area, then you're simply not as prepared as you need to be.
I'll be happy to point anyone in the right direction for some great training that will help you with this.
All good points.
Don't own a suppressor.
Might need to rectify that shortcoming...

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,212 Posts
All good points.
Don't own a suppressor.
Might need to rectify that shortcoming...
Think about your light choice and interior conditions too. The X300 is a very powerful light. We were shooting last night out beyond 100m with handguns and that light and still flooding down range, which is awesome. But inside the confines of a small home, especially one with off-white painted walls (most homes) or any glossy colors (thank your wives), a light that powerful can actually create significant splash back and negatively affect your vision almost as much as the bad guy.
All things to work through in training and selecting the right weapon and equipment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you have to use it within the close confines of your home, it will save your hearing and significantly reduce the muzzle flash, which always negatively affects the ability for rapid follow up shots at night.
Precisely the reasons I'm currently waiting for my Liberty Mystic to get out of NFA jail.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, I think I will just get rid of mine now and go back to using a ball bat. I have none of those things. Just being a "little" sarcastic. I do plan on getting a light one day but the suppressor is out of the question at least until they pass some laws. Cheers

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
4,930 Posts
Both sleep by my bed.................I get no bounce off my SF300 unless its off a mirror...........and I am thinking it would be quite blinding to an intruder...................
View attachment 65249

·
Registered
285 Posts
Upstairs next to my bed I have a glock 19 with factory flashlight and a Yankee Hill Cobra M2 suppressor,
When I'm downstairs I have my HK45c, but no light or suppressor

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have a disability which requires me to sleep with my leg elevated . i keep my EDC USPc 45 with NS decocked and locked under the pillow . my USP 45 tactical with factory light, NS and S.E. vortex hider on the way sits in a pouch "strongarm side" between mattress and box spring . arm reach away MAK 90 RD build my bro n law helped me with has optics, light and S.E. vortex hider . 18" 870 with 00 buck 2 steps away . USP 45 tactical is 1st responder . alarm system 2 yap n black and tan Dachshund bitches . that's just in the bedroom .

·
Registered
189 Posts
i have a disability which requires me to sleep with my leg elevated . i keep my EDC USPc 45 with NS decocked and locked under the pillow . my USP 45 tactical with factory light, NS and S.E. vortex hider on the way sits in a pouch "strongarm side" between mattress and box spring . arm reach away MAK 90 RD build my bro n law helped me with has optics, light and S.E. vortex hider . 18" 870 with 00 buck 2 steps away . USP 45 tactical is 1st responder . alarm system 2 yap n black and tan Dachshund bitches . that's just in the bedroom .
You're location says Mississippi, you sure that's not Mogadishu?

You're better armed than I've been in a couple combat zones....

Chuck

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

very good points...thanks for taking the time james.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great options, but <snip>
I can appreciate your sentiments. For myself though, suppressor issue is moot because California.

About the hearing, I have a tactical headset that actually amplifies lower frequency noises. It takes me 2 seconds to don it, and I can hear like Spider Man with them on. Also, I am not shooting inside of my own home without ear protection at a rate that my hearing will be permanently damaged causing disability this early in my life, and even if I did cause myself hearing disability I would be at peace knowing my family is safe. But I train to don my headset, so that chance is still slimmer than without.

About the flashlight, I have one, and have toyed around with using them in my home. But particularly in the situation that you have no shoots on your home, with a weapon mounted light, the only time you'll see the no shoots is when your weapon is pointed directly at them. If I can minimize the chances of pointing my weapon at my own children by training without using a weapon mounted light, that's a win for me. Light in my off hand, always.

I trust in my training with what I have and I am confident enough with how I use my tools to ensure that my family will be safe no matter what. Shooting suppressed with weapon mounted light is not end all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Damn you have good taste. HK and Oban 14.
Why thank you brother! I have always liked the Oban.. my all time fav is the Talisker 10. I have tried older Talisker, and they are smoother no doubt, but they sort of lose some of that oomph that makes me take so kindly to the 10. Pretty much anything Islay is my jam.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
^^^^still needs to be pushed all the way on, it doesn't look locked in.

Gun on my actual nightstand:

Gun next to my nightstand:

Side note: A bonus to having a kid is they need a stroller. A stroller is a great carrier for my go-bag, which has the UMP/USC conversion in it. I absolutely LOVE going places. My wife just shakes her head now when I get excited to go places........

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Barth, would you mind sharing how you got that x300 to work with the 45c?
The HK45c rail isn't long enough to lock the light down properly.
It doesn't actually fit correctly.
Same with my P30.

Although not extensivly, I've shot it on both successfully.
But I'd recomend using a FS HK45 or P30L for the light.
It does have a proper fit on my Clone Match USP though :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 130 Posts