HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NJ and am prohibited from using hollowpoint ammo in a self defense situation - my main weapon is a USP Fullsize in .45 - What should I be using in my bedside mags?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would say something soft-point.... you DO NOT want to shoot a FMJ because it will very likely go all the way through the target... At least with a soft-point bullet, the chances of it squishing out is more likely....

I would suggest mabey frangible ammo, although im not 100% sure how it will run through a USP due to the barrel... IIRC Straitgrain had a thread asking how a certain brand of frangible ran in the USP series, and didn't get many replies... Im not sure if he tried it or not, you might be able to ask him if he did!

I would mabey think a shotgun would be a little better... with 00-Buck... not as much chance of over penetration, but as far as i would go, i would stick with soft-point ammo, and even frangible if its allowed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
All I can tell you is that I have separate mags for when I cross the river into Godforsaken New Jersey off-duty, and they're loaded with Pow'R Balls. Essentially, they're JHPs, but they have a small frangible tip on them giving them a FMJ profile. They are NJ-legal, as are Federal's EFMJ rounds. Either should stand you in good stead.

Everywhere else in the country I like Black Hills 230gr JHPs. But that's just me.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I live in NJ and am prohibited from using hollowpoint ammo in a self defense situation - my main weapon is a USP Fullsize in .45 - What should I be using in my bedside mags?
In NJ you are NOT prohibited (yet) from using hollowpoint ammo inside your place of residence or on your property. Which is the reason why you can buy them at any gun shop, ****s, or have them shipped to you. So load up with good quality ammo such as Winchester Rangers or Speer Gold Dot's and you are good to go.

Use hollowpoints or have them on you while committing a crime and you are looking at serious extra jail time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've actually gotten conflicting info about hollowpoints in NJ. My LE friends assure me that I cant use them in a self defense situation. I can buy them, shoot them at the range, or whatever. But if I shoot someone breaking into my house with a hollowpoint, I'm in trouble. Not to mention, to LE and lawyers, and jury members, if I'm loading hollowpoints, it means I want to kill whoever I shoot - so either way, I don't need that kind of heat - these two other options are very interesting though. Truthfully, you guys dont think 2 .45 ball ammo shots to the chest are enought to bring down a bad guy? Are expanding rounds really that important?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you kidding me? What the hell do they expect you to use? Ice bullets?
Actually, I believe they expect to be taking guns away soon. Pretty clubs but expensive as hell! :41:

In all seriousness it's a silly waste of their time in the long run. All that legislation to outlaw any ammunition with different materials integrated into the nose seems to have been a waste of time and taxer payer money. Those types are back and legal to buy if you're willing to pay what they are asking. The best lately has been the ban on some 'armor piercing' steel cores. Anybody still have boxes and boxes of the old black tip 30-06 sitting around? We couldn't find anything that that stuff wouldn't go through. Pretty much any 30 caliber rifle bullet will punch through 1/4-1/2" steel with out stopping to ask directions. Same goes for any class iiia vest. The police aren't going to be roaming the streets fully armored in class iii armor for some years to come. At the rate things seem to be shaping up that might not be so far in th future as we might hope. They really want to pick one item at a time to describe in legal terms. That way they eventually have everything descriptively covered and can put out blanket bans.

Byte

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
How sure are you of that? You can legally possess HP ammo in your home, even in NJ. Have you checked the actual statutes?

But unless you want to reload, I think FMJ is your only option. Sure, you may shoot the kids or wife two rooms over, or the nextdoor neighbors, but at least you won't hurt an intruder as bad as if you shoot hollowpoint.

·
Registered
243 Posts
for the most part...

LE is the last people that you should be asking for the appropriate information about gun laws.

MANY more times than not, have I herd that LE has "misquoted" actual gun laws. I am not bashing LE, as I still hold my FL LEO & COR Certifications, but most LEO's are not gun guys and girls. They know what "they" think is the law about guns and issues about them. NOT ALL, but most.

Rely on your own research and/or people that have done the actual state statutes research.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cops aren't always accurate

Once when I was 19 a detective tried to tell me it was illegal for me to own my CZ-97B on the grounds that I wasn't 21, he seemed surprised when I informed him that it's only 21 to purchase from someone or some business with an FFL. luckily his partner told him I was right when they left the room for a bit, so it didn't cause me any trouble. boy that was a sh*tty year...

·
Registered
127 Posts
actually ball ammo isn't less effective than HP. evans and marshall be damned! HP may in fact be less deadly, but more likely to cause shock which can also end the fight. ball ammo will go through anything(in the human body) in front of it, and will create two wounds with one bullet, two wounds equals more bleeding. so while not likely to give you a fabled one shot stop it is likely to kill an attacker with a doubletap to the chest. multiple shots give you the best chance of taking out the bad guy in any situation with whatever ammo. so, HP ammo more likely to drop an opponent due to shock, ball ammo more likely to cause your opponent to bleed to death. all i'm saying on a closing note, is penetration rules all else in the handgun world. but you might hurt a neighbor or family member.

·
Registered
329 Posts
LE is the last people that you should be asking for the appropriate information about gun laws.
I've had a few LE's purposely give me bad information becuase of his "moral standings". Who also generally started the lecture with "my interpretation of the law is ..." I had a similar experience to NG at a gun show in which the police officer harassed me about carrying out a weapon I bought until a nice friendly ATF officer came over and stated that unless there's a specific local law I'm violating I'm well within my legal bounds.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

MANY more times than not, have I herd that LE has "misquoted" actual gun laws. I am not bashing LE, as I still hold my FL LEO & COR Certifications, but most LEO's are not gun guys and girls. They know what "they" think is the law about guns and issues about them. NOT ALL, but most.

Rely on your own research and/or people that have done the actual state statutes research.
+1 on LEO for info, they are often misinformed on the laws and sometimes try to influence others.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I confirmed this with some VERY knowledgeble people of NJ firearm laws and hollowpoints are perfectly legal to purchase and own at home, the range and place of business. Just like a handgun. Same rules apply as other ammo when travelling.

If you or your families life is threatened you might as well send your attacker/intruder the very best.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think there are 3 issues here and they are not the same:
Here is my understanding:

1. What is actually legal in NJ? - Hollow points ARE legal in NJ, so are frangible, FMJ and EFMJ.

2. What is the perception if he ever has to use it? As I have seen on the News - Hollow Points = "Cop Killer" bullets. You are in NJ - unless you shoot Osama Bin Laden, while he is raping your daughter and shooting at you with an AK47 - and all this is caught on video - the prosecutor is going after you. Picture him standing up in front of a Grand Jury talking about how you loaded "Cop Killer" bullets and shot the poor hood (that had a bad childhood). You purposely made a decision to load JHP - These are not my thoughts - this is NJ.

3. So what do you use? FMJ - you pickup the gun loaded with target rounds and you defended yourself. Federal EFMJ - these are not perceived as hollow points because they are not they are FMJ.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ditto on asking an LEO. They are experienced with laws they have to enforce daily, but they are not lawyers and dont study law. Write your attorney general and keep the letter on hand if he/she says that HP is ok for inside the home.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The link below presents a fantastic post on all different types of defensive ammo. I found it to be extremely helpful and based on the author's insights will pruchase Corbon 125gr JHPs.

The way I look at it, I'm not using FMJs in the house. My first duty is to protect my family, my second is my neighbors, and my third is to hire an NRA-advocate lawyer to go up against these liberal hipocrates after I stop the intruder with JHPs.

http://www.survivalprimer.com/PaulsGuns/Ammo_Self_Defense_Firearm.htm

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think there are 3 issues here and they are not the same:
Here is my understanding:

1. What is actually legal in NJ? - Hollow points ARE legal in NJ, so are frangible, FMJ and EFMJ.

2. What is the perception if he ever has to use it? As I have seen on the News - Hollow Points = "Cop Killer" bullets. You are in NJ - unless you shoot Osama Bin Laden, while he is raping your daughter and shooting at you with an AK47 - and all this is caught on video - the prosecutor is going after you. Picture him standing up in front of a Grand Jury talking about how you loaded "Cop Killer" bullets and shot the poor hood (that had a bad childhood). You purposely made a decision to load JHP - These are not my thoughts - this is NJ.

3. So what do you use? FMJ - you pickup the gun loaded with target rounds and you defended yourself. Federal EFMJ - these are not perceived as hollow points because they are not they are FMJ.
Good points.

One point I'd like to make. Use what you need to in order to make sure your family and friends are safe. I'd rather be alive and sued versus dead.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The link below presents a fantastic post on all different types of defensive ammo. I found it to be extremely helpful and based on the author's insights will pruchase Corbon 125gr JHPs.

The way I look at it, I'm not using FMJs in the house. My first duty is to protect my family, my second is my neighbors, and my third is to hire an NRA-advocate lawyer to go up against these liberal hipocrates after I stop the intruder with JHPs.

http://www.survivalprimer.com/PaulsGuns/Ammo_Self_Defense_Firearm.htm
Alot of the proven, newer more effective rounds are not listed, such as Hornady's TAP, Winchester Ranger and Federal HST. It's an old article and doesn't take into account advances in bullet technology. I'd hardly call the 115 Win Silvertip effective compared to todays new technology.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts