HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just saw the new Cohen Brothers film "No Country For Old Men".

http://www.nocountryforoldmen-themovie.com/

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/nocountryforoldmen/trailer/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Country_for_Old_Men_(film)

This is a cool gun movie with several scenes of an assassin with a home made silenced 12-guage shotgun. He pumps slugs through the shotgun at long range and buckshot in close quarters. The sound effects seem realistic for the gun with satisfying thuds when the rounds make impact.

Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), a man out hunting antelope near the Rio Grande, comes across a drug deal gone sour and takes a Heckler & Koch SP-89 and extra magazine from a dying drug dealer. There are several prominent shots of the SP-89. You can clearly see the S - F selector switch.

One problem, the story takes place in 1980 as evidenced by the headstone in a funeral scene later in the movie. Did the SP-89 exist in 1980? (edit: The SP-89 was made 1990-1993 so either the movie is historically inaccurate or the Mexican came from the future.)

Pictures I've found:

You can just barely see the SP-89 strapped on him in the picture above.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good movie, the ending was a bit of an anti-climax though. Btw, anyone know if you can really supress a shottie? I would think with a slug, sure, but shot spreads pretty fast...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Great movie! It was cool seeing the SP-89 at the beginning of the film. My friend sitting next to me even knew what it was. I started researching shotgun suppressors after seeing this film and from a few sources on the net, they are legit. I forget where, but some SWAT magazine article has info on one that was being tested that made the 12ga sound like a .22 and people standing 25-30 yrds away couldn't tell the shotgun was going off. It was capable of using shot or slug. Pretty slick.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Good movie, the ending was a bit of an anti-climax though. Btw, anyone know if you can really supress a shottie? I would think with a slug, sure, but shot spreads pretty fast...
Yeah, they have made them, but they are not very effective. I think the wad in the buckshot would keep it suppressed about the same as a slug.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The movie was good, but the movie could have been great if it had a better ending.

The SP89 was neat to see, even though SP89s were not around at that time.

I also liked the Winchester 97.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe there was also a suppressed tec 9

I have seen a couple other custom companies thatmade suppressed 12 gauges, dont have any links. will try to find some.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Looks good. Will take some time before it arrives here, but I´ll add it to my to see list.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
One more thing...

In one scene the main crazy bad guy offs the two guys in suits in the area where the drug deal went bad.

He picked up and used a Glock 27 or similar small glock. I know that gun didnt exist at that time.

Oh well, they had to spice up those scenes a little with evil black guns.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The ending -- which I won't spoil -- is just as it was in the book (which won a Pulitzer Prize). I haven't seen the film yet so I will reserve my analysis of it till after the fact.

In general many films aestheticize violence - I'm ok with having films which display the harshness of it in a manner that frustrates the viewers desire for a more traditional cathartic release. Because lets face in reality killing should not be a happy/fun activity. Now I am not saying that killing in personal defense is wrong, but I think so many people who haven't experienced real world violence maintain a certain fixation on the aesthetic quality of cinematic violence (This little rant is probably going to get me labeled as a pacifist).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Help

Other than some interesting guns I didn't see the point of the movie. I don't want to be educated at the movies, just entertained. Oh well, you pay your money and you takes your chances.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just saw this movie this weekend and I really enjoyed it. When it got to the end my friend said, "What the hell, its over?" and I somewhat thought the same, but after I thought about it more I think the ending was about a perfect fit for this movie. It put the purpose of the story into perspective.

I also thought that the reality of the movie was well thought out. Best seen when the dog was chasing the man down the river. He got out of the water, dropped the mag, made sure everything was clear of water, reloaded the pistol, then shot.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just saw this movie this weekend and I really enjoyed it. When it got to the end my friend said, "What the hell, its over?" and I somewhat thought the same, but after I thought about it more I think the ending was about a perfect fit for this movie. It put the purpose of the story into perspective.

I also thought that the reality of the movie was well thought out. Best seen when the dog was chasing the man down the river. He got out of the water, dropped the mag, made sure everything was clear of water, reloaded the pistol, then shot.
How many of us would have taken the time to clear the pistol of water when a mean ass pit bull is running you down? What's the worse that would have happened should he have shot the pistol full of water? He only used it for one shot anyway.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How many of us would have taken the time to clear the pistol of water when a mean ass pit bull is running you down? What's the worse that would have happened should he have shot the pistol full of water? He only used it for one shot anyway.
While I agree that no one would probably end up doing what he did, the fact that he knew and did what is technically suppose to be done was pretty impressive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry...

The movie was good but would have been a lot better if the bad guy, played bad-to-the-bone by Javier Bardem, hadn't been dragging a compressed air tank attached to a cattle stun gun around.

They should have armed him with a suppressed compact for his close-in work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The movie was good but would have been a lot better if the bad guy, played bad-to-the-bone by Javier Bardem, hadn't been dragging a compressed air tank attached to a cattle stun gun around.

They should have armed him with a suppressed compact for his close-in work.
That was my favorite part! I couldn't help but grin everytime he blew open a lock or someones head with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i enjoyed the movied till about 3/4s of the way through - I couldnt stand the ending and feel like i wasted my -$9 ya I saw the complex point of the movie but-i dont understand why filmakers cant make happy endings anymore or movies that completely sum themselves up - all i could think in that first scene was man if i had an sp89 i wouldnt keep it under the singlewide-it would be in a nice pelican case

1 - 20 of 66 Posts