HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought two HK 91 rifles. One is a 1977 the other a 1981. I'm looking for parts now and obviously there are a lot of vendors. My question is more so for originality. Were the wide type handguards available as far back as 1977? Were OD green furniture available back then? When did they switch from gray to black paint as both mine are gray?

I have a lot of questions, searched newb corner but some stuff I couldn't find.

Thanks,

7n6

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Now is the best time yet to buy magazines.. stock up

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the bolt gap space last night on the 81" import HK91 and it came back at .0135". The cocking handle spacing looks to be good as well. Overall the rifle looks to have been fired but is really clean other than claw markings from an optic and the bore is mint. All the codes on the rifle match B1 or whatever it is, including all the small parts and furniture. The trigger doesn't seem bad and the rifle has that grayish black colored paint on it. The only real "flaws" I can see are some of the screw heads are buggered up inside the stock assembly- not sure if this was done at the factory but either way, I will be replacing them when I buy a heavy buffer for it. The second 1977 HK91 is on it's way right now and once both are here I'll post some pictures.

Back to my questions which I need your guys expertise on as wanting to keep things looking original. Did the late 70's G3's come with wide forearms or just the narrow ones? What about the OD green furniture? Also, in your opinion, are the HK's more accurate than FAL's? I used to own a half dozen import FAL's back a few years ago and damn near went into sticker shock when I saw the prices currently for pre-ban FAL's. The reason I got rid of them was because you couldn't really mount an optic to them that would hold it's zero- even with the updated mounts. Years back I had an EBO 91 and another clone but dumped those to stay with the FAL's. Later deciding the FAL's couldn't hold zero, made me decide to sell them. So now I'm back with the HK's again but having never added an optic to one- what kind of accuracy can be expected with say a Fero Z24 or similar fixed power set up?

I want to keep these as authentic as possible. My goal is to build one as a "sniper" and the other as just a back up. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I am still learning about true HK type rifles as fast as I can.

Thanks,

7n6

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Screw heads are never buggered up at the factory... it wouldn't get out of the factory. Krauts are anal about things like that. The unlucky screwdriverobermeister that did it would go to a re-education camp.

G-3s came with narrow handguards, 91s made for civvy use did come with the wide guards. There were also green wide guards available as far back as the early '90s, for everything, 94/MP5s included.

You want sticker shock? Too bad you didn't get into NFA stuff back in the '70s... MP-40s and MG-42s for like $49 and $125 respectively. Thompsons were a hefty $125 and every version of a Sten imaginable could be had for less than $50. Operational artillery was like under $500 complete with limber and ALL accessories. Even HE ammo was readily available.

Imagine living in an era when the Gubbermint actually trusted the people. You could leave the doors to your crib unlocked, and take off for a week with guns just hanging on the wall or in an unlocked gun cabinet... imagine that!

·
Registered
604 Posts
LMAO, I miss Archie. Grew up on him and Sanford and Son, and the Jeffersons. They don't make shows like that anymore, nothing but crap on tv, reality bs.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts