HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do the Kydex (and similar) holsters preserve gun finish longer? How do a gun's high spots look after long periods of holstering and drawing? I'd be willing to try some of the synthetic designs if it will be less abrasive, in the long run, than leather or nylon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think leather actually is tougher on a guns finish, but generally I don't care because I like my guns to look worn. I've never been able to understand why people want pristine looking guns, especially if they are mass produced ones. I might understand IF the gun is a multi thousand dollar 1911 but even then I wouldn't really care.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With use, all holsters will cause wear marks on a firearm. They are tools and that is what happens when you use them. There are some things you can do to slow the rate of wear (i.e. using the right holster for the right gun and not trying to make something close work).

The supposed differences in wear patterns between Kydex and leather holsters is more of a function of where the holster makes contact with the firearm than the material itself. I have holsters made out of both types of materials and Kydex holsters seemed to be designed with the idea of using the trigger guard as the main point of contact. Leather holsters seem to make contact with the trigger guard and slide.

The thing to watch out for is getting dirt or sand in the holster because when it becomes embedded in the holster (leather or Kydex) it functions like sandpaper.

YMMV

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice. I'm in the group that likes an unworn looking gun. I'll try some Kydex styles on and see what makes least contact with best retention results. Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've only had my Blackhawk Serpa holster for my P2000 for about two weeks but a few fine edges on the slide are almost down to the steel :(
the Serpa holster really fits the gun well but its still kinda made me say "HE Finish my a##" :00000:

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
I've always thought the HE finish is kind of weak when it come to holster wear. I carried a USPc 40 for years in a Galco FED paddle and finish was horrible. I now carry my P2000 in a serpa and the finish has finally started to show wear on the points of contact after a year of carry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've only had my Blackhawk Serpa holster for my P2000 for about two weeks but a few fine edges on the slide are almost down to the steel :(
the Serpa holster really fits the gun well but its still kinda made me say "HE Finish my a##" :00000:
The finish is bonded into the surface of the steel.

THAT is the hostile environment finish.

Holster wear won't effect the corrosion resistance of your firearm.

Unfortunately, thats the nature of kydex holsters.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Safariland holsters because they are suede lined so my guns never get any scratches even after 3 years of using them. Still looks brand new. My USP compact which I use with a Blackhawk Serpa holster looks like it has been thru the grinder even tho it is a much newer gun than my USP fullsize in my suede lined holster. Galco leather scratches the guns finish as well as I use one with a P2000SK in the SOB model.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What about the Milt-Sparks leather. I know a ton of people recommend them. I will be purchasing a P2000SK soon and would like a god leather IWB holster, but don't want something that's going to tear up the finish. *I know I will probably get over this with time...

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is why I enjoy stainless guns. They wear differently when holstered in kydex. I have a USP with a stainless slide and the holster wear on the edges of the pistol is like a bright polish job on the stainless. I don't mind putting wear on a carry gun but I sure do like to keep my other ones looking like new. Same thing with owning a car whether its a Lexus or a Honda, they will wear eventually but I like to keep looking new as long as possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I use Safariland holsters because they are suede lined..." and "Can't go wrong with high quality leather..."

OK, these are two statements that run counter to what I thought -- I thought Kydex would cause less wear because the gun would make contact at fewer points, and because the metal surfaces wouldn't be dragging across a textured surface (like suede). I've always chosen lined leather holsters for nice guns, but I never own any long enough to see holster wear ; ) I'm planning on handing the HKs down to my daughter, and I'm carrying all the time now. (The USP40 is so comfortable.)

I actually like the Safariland styles, but the belt attachments look cheesy and bizarre. I'll forget the Kydex/plastic then and look at Safariland's products.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Suede lining is not what preserves a gun's finish... The person has observed the effect but does not understand the cause. It is the amount of regular contact between the gun and holster. Think of it this way, over time, water can smooth a stone. And over time, regular contact with suede will wear away the suede and the finish. It is unavoidable.

A top custom holster maker, Andy Arratoonian has said:

"It is widely believed that leather or suede lining will reduce wear on a weapon. This is questionable. It's a sad but true fact, but regular insertion and removal of a weapon from a holster – be it lined or unlined -- will inevitably result in a certain amount of wear. If you are concerned with wear, then the only realistic solution is to have your handgun treated with one of the many excellent advertised protective finishes."

http://www.holsters.org/faq.htm#thirteenth

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
I actually periodically use Boeshield on the inside of my serpa. Spray and wipe out. It don't seem to help much though.
I used to carry a 92FS in a Safariland Viper. Non-lined holster, I coated the entire interior with TW25, let it set a few days then wiped out the excess. After about two years the slide was polished and glossy from the wear and all the corners were worn to bare metal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i had ajk concelico make me a ITW for my p2000 and i carry it every day and have for over a year now i suppose if i got in like 4 or 5 quick draw gun fights a day the insertion and removal of the pistol could cause some wear,but i dont and this is a very nice holster soft and comfy:4000: by a nice leather holster and keep the quick draw gun fights to a minimum and i wouldnt worry about the finish on your HK it'll hold up

·
Registered
870 Posts
I wipe down the inside of the kydex holster and the gun with a siocone cloth seems to work well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I prefer leather. As long as it is good quality and molded on the inside with tracks. Suede line is a plus. It is easier to scratch leather than nylon. The trade off for leather is worth it for me

·
Registered
19 Posts
If wearing the finish on your pistol is an issue do not get Kydex. It does wear the finish off pistol contact points a lot more than leather does. I really don't feel there is any comparision as far as this specific question goes.

I like Kramer, Sparks or Ken Null horsehide holsters because I find they are a lot more comfortable than any other material when you have to carry a gun for many hours per day. The wear aspect is secondary for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts