HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thanks to a good buddy, picked up a beaut of a CT tonight. It shoots incredibly consistent and is a pleasure to use (no drama, just point and click). But I'm finding the sights are off.

Of course it could be new gun blues and will take time to get used to it. But, in the same night, my friend got a new Kimber Custom something or other (sorry model escapes me), also in 45. I pulled that and X every time at 15 feet. Heck, five mags later and there was a 2" hole in the middle with no strays.

So it's not totally me, but the Kimber has sweet night sights and I'm used to the shorter Kimber Custom - which, coincidentally tonight shot dead on as well. So - it could be me, I'm not writing it off, but most likely the front sight is off :( -- for comparison - I was consistently off by about 2" at 15' with the CT, always to the left.

So - what to do? I can obviously take it back, wait for a gunsmith to check and shake his head at me (with a midwestern German accent - "vell, you see, dees here Heckler und Kochs do not come bad from ze werkstad..." then leave it (big bad bummer) and come back sometime later.

I looked at the armorer's manual and see that these just drift in - what is the actual process to adjust them? Or - is my best bet to ditch these and go with a higher end sight, getting them set in the process?

Thanks tons for a noob to the H&K world. Cheers all.

Wig

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Try shooting it in double action, with a really slow and steady pull.

The USP trigger is infamously hard to learn, and the left (usually low and left) is a signature of anitcipating the shot, and jerking the trigger. The 1911's shoot so well, because they have virtually zero takeup, and a har trigger.

Also, you can try using sandbags to shoot. Take as much "human" out of the question as possible.

If the sights are indeed off, you just need to take a brass, or nylon punch, and drift the rear sight a little to the right (to make POI move right) (or if your FRONT sight is noticable to the RIGHT, you can drift it a little to the LEFT, but usually the front sights are dead on).

You can use a wooden dowel too, but its a lot slower.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the tips! I do think it's off - AND - I'm off... The reason I think it's ff is that I tried a borescope laser on it - and it shows a little off. I would have thought to move the front sight to the left - but now that your sanity has run in and prevailed, that doesn't make any sense, so it is the rear sight to move (and to the right).

Big thanks for saving me some grief if I gorilla'd it!

First - I will give a try to some sandbags for stability as well as DA - who knows - I may have this all wrong and it's perfect (as should be from HK!)

Thanks again!
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It is probably the indian and not the arrow. . . meaning its probably not the sights.

It is your reaction to the trigger. Very difficult trigger on the USP, ESPECIALLY if you are used to a 1911. Like Raptor said, shots going low-left (if you are a righty) is the classic symptom caused by not being used to the USP trigger system. Heck, even people who've had USPs for years do it. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you as well orfeo! Any tips for the best way to get over the hump so at least I'm back in the center, even if not perfect?

I'm going to take the M23 and see what happens with that this weekend and compare groupings.

cheers

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . Any tips for the best way to get over the hump so at least I'm back in the center, even if not perfect?. . .
Scooter's advice is the best I've heard: Assuming you have a V1, practice using the decocker after every shot so that you have that long, hard trigger pull every time. Use the pad of your trigger finger (NOT the joint) and press the trigger straight back slowly and smoothly, such that you don't know when the shot will break, keeping your sights aligned all the way through. You should be suprised when the shot breaks. Once you make progress with that horrible double action pull, then you can try the single-action, but shoot it the same way so that you are suprised when the shot breaks. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts