HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first hk ever. It's a usp full-size in 9mm. The date code is AD (2003). I never handled a usp before and was wondering if the recoil spring is supposed to be this soft. It has to be one of the easiest slides to rack back. I hail from sig, beretta, 1911, and glock land. I haven't fired it yet, just function checks to gain familiarization.

Is the softness or lightness normal?

The gun is 9 years old and counting so I'm wondering if I need to replace the recoil spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm an HK noob here, but just received my brand new P30L light LEM and it also is very easy to manipulate the slide which is great for my wife so not sure if the recoil spring is shot or not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Both the USP and P30's recoil spring assembly's are good for at least 20,000 rounds, I believe that HK recommends a replacement at 25,000 rounds for the P30. However this number can vary based on things like the type of ammo used and time spent shooting suppressed.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
All USPs rack pretty easy.

How far are your empty casings ejecting? If your spring is worn-out (I doubt it), your empties will be landing in the next county.

If your gun looks nice and is not really worn looking, then I'd bet your recoil spring is just fine. And don't forget that the fullsize USP has a dual-spring recoil assembly, so the recoil spring is also protected from bottoming out by the buffer spring. There was a guy on here who went almost one hundred thousand (100,000) rounds on his fullsize USP 45 without changing his recoil spring or anything else. . . zero failures and zero issues. Finally, he changed his recoil spring just for the heck of it. Yours, being a 9mm, would be even more forgiving. . . that gun is as overbuilt as a Humvee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts