HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long Time Lurker. Love the info. Just can't get this kind of info anywhere else. I've been shooting Idpa with XD 9mm with my son. With only 1 gun we needed to share it which was a pain in the a$$. My plan was to wait until the HK 45 came out and buy that so I've been saving my pennies. I really wasn't planning on another 9mm but if I did I really liked the P2000 or even wait until the P30 was available. Or that was the plan until yesterdays gun show. Saw a beautiful USPf 9 mm nib. A 1995 production date, Variant 1, 1 10 round mag (NYS limit) $500 + tax. I really didn't do any research on this model but it seemed to fit well and I just couldn't walk away from it.
Now that I have had time to think about it and do some research, I turn to the HK Gods with some questions:

1. Was this a good deal for this?

2. Does the 1995 model have the polygonal barrel and the upgrades that were apparently made at some point

3. I reload for 9mm, lots of info on lead out the polygonal barrel...has there been any final word

4. the DA pull seems a touch heavy. What does it generally measure? Is there anyway to lighten it or does it need to be sent out? What kind of results can I expect?

5.Love to get a "tuckable" IWB hoster...any suggestions

6.Want good night sights...any suggestions and can a guy all thumbs do it himself? (Iknow I know...use the search button...but I thought I'd ask again)

I guess I'm having second thoughts about the impulse but it sure seems like a great gun.

Thanks!

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of an USP 9mm. I've shot one before, very soft shooter. I'm sure you'll be happy.

$500 for a NIB USP?!!?!? Yes thats a good deal IMO. I'd pick it up for that much!

I'm pretty sure a 95' gun has a pologonal bore. But in all honesty, I'm not sure.

No lead in pologonal bores.

Trigger pull on USPs are heavy. I think they were rated at 9.5-10 lbs or a little more. But with some dry practice and/or range time it will smoothen out nicely.

Try Comp-Tac for holsters, they might have you're looking for, and everyone here seems to love them.

Mepro and Trijicon are the best night sights. Mepro being Factory orginal.

No need to have second thoughts about it. She'll be a great gun!

·
Registered
870 Posts
You got a GREAT deal! At $500, you can't go wrong for a NIB USP! Enjoy and congrats!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Welcome to a fellow NY'er! Where abouts are you? Some of us locals are getting together next Saturday, Sept. 29th for an HK shoot in Goshen. If you are close, by all means try to join us! Now to some of your questions:

1. I think you did good price wise. It's pretty tough nowadays to get a USP (full size or compact) for below $550. If it was new in box, all the better. One thing is it "should" have come with two mags as that is how HK ships them from their factories. No worries, check out CDNN online for cheap 10 rounders.

2. It should have the polygonal rifling. Be mindful of the firing pin as there were reports of breakage up to 1995. I believe in 1996, HK changed the design of the firing pin and resolve most issues with it. If it does break, contact HK customer service and they should set you straight.

3. Stick with FMJ's for target and competition. Lead rounds tend to foul polygonal barrels pretty good.

4. You can either have a LEM or Match Trigger installed. These are HK factory parts and they lighten both the DA and SA pull of the trigger. Some of the Pros on here can give you more info as I have very limited knowledge in this area.

5. Comp-Tac CTAC. Check out their website if you like kydex type holsters

6. Meprolight is use as factory and very nice. Trijicon is good. I really like MMC

You bought it, now go and shoot away buyer's remorse and enjoy the gun! Welcome aboard!

Ricky

·
Registered
70 Posts
1. A USP is awlays worth $500.00 as long as it hasn't been abused.

2. You probably have Polygonal Bore. I think 95 is when the USP 45 came out and from then on every USP had polygonal Bore.

3. The polygonal bore doen't like lead. Lots of guys do it anyway. The most common problems I've heard about are fast heavy build up and effected accuracy due to build up. My buddy reloads and refuses to not shoot lead out of his Glocks and USPs and notices it starts spreading groups a little wider the more you shoot the lead until you clean it. So be ready to clean the bore a lot if you want to maintain the best accuracy. Otherwise I don't think you're gonna blow the gun up unless you shoot 5000 rounds of lead through it without cleaning it at all.

4. The DA trigger will get a little lighter and smoother with use... but not a lot. It is the nature of the beast as far as USPs go. But keep in mind that 90+% of your shots are going to be single action. And if you carry it cocked and locked you avoid that all together. Many of the trigger mods have been mentioned above. But I personally think that once you become used to the USP heavy DA trigger... it becomes a non-issue.

5. Holsters are a real personal thing... I got no advise on that one.

6. Meprolights are the only way to go... they have to date been the most durable and the brightest night sights I have ever owned on a USP and I have owned just about all of them.

One additional note... the USPs of that era in 9mm and 40 were in a bit of a transition period... if your USP has an all metal hammer... it doesn't have the drop safety (Won't go to half cock) and will have to be sent to HK if you want the match trigger put in it as the basic match trigger won't work in it. Also as of a few years ago HK changed their "Catch" design and the current Match Trigger kit doesn't work well on USP older than 3 or 4 years. So you'll want to send it to HK if you want a Match trigger to avoid getting a kit that just won't work for your gun.

Enjoy that gun... If I were you I'd get rid of the XD to better my funds when the time came to buy another HK. The P2000, P30, HK45, P2000sk are all great guns... But none of them are BETTER than the USP. They're just as good. It all comes down to feel and preference at that point. None of them can out shoot the USP or out last it. So don't feel like you got the "Replaced" Model or the sub standard unit. That gun is a classic and will always be a sought after weapon becuase it is simply better than 90% of guns out there. You got a good deal on a fine weapon... never let it leave your possesion unless it's for an HK you want more.

·
Registered
123 Posts
2. Does the 1995 model have the polygonal barrel and the upgrades that were apparently made at some point
I believe '95 was the year when the switch to polygonal bores was made. But you can find out for sure just by looking down the barrel. Polygonal rifling looks nothing like the traditional land and groove layout - you'd be able to tell the difference right away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. Was this a good deal for this? Heck yeah!

5.Love to get a "tuckable" IWB hoster...any suggestions-Crossbreed Supertuck, funny looking but pretty darn comfortable or Comtac MTAC.

6.Want good night sights...any suggestions and can a guy all thumbs do it himself? Meps or Trijicons-IMHO nearly same, whatever's on sale. Installation can easily be done-get/rent a MGW sight pusher.
FWIW

·
Registered
269 Posts
A used USP is worth 500 so you did fine. I have been shooting a USP 9mm V1 for IDPA up until yesterday. I love the gun! I switched over to a USP 9mm Expert. The gun is just amazing! Nothing better then an HK. Some people say they can not shoot a USP well because of the high bore axis which is total crap! Yea there are a lot of Glocks out there but how many people would pay 1200 for a HK expert when they can buy a Glock 34 for 500? Not many, I am one who will pay to play with HK toys lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the kind replies!

Not sure how to tell polygonal from the "old barrel" and tips? What am I looking for?

Had a few FTE during the first couple hundred rounds but I was using lead reloads the were on the soft shooting side so I suspect it mas me more than the gun. As for the lead...as long as I give it a good cleaning am I hurting the barrel in anyway?

The DA trigger is lightening up but still to heavy for me...has anyone tried sending it ot the above for $59...what results did you get?

The firing pin thing worries me alittle. I suspect that when it breaks the gun won't fire otherwise is there anyway to assess? Is that covered by the HK warranty?

I am still getting use to V1. Find myself occ decocking the gun when removing the safety in the "cocked and locked" mode. I suspect some practice will help solve this.

The accuracy seems to be on par with my XD...I think this will improve as I get used to it.

ps. From Rochester, NY...a little to long for the drive but thanks for the invite!

·
Registered
269 Posts
You can tell the difference if its polygonal or traditional lang and grove by looking down it, a polygonal barrel is smooth in the edges and a land and grove has sharp deep cuts. If you hold it up in the light you should be able to tell.

The DA pull is heavy but it should be, if you really want to shoot the gun with out cocking the hammer then I would do 2 things. You can buy a spring for under 10 bucks and install it (you will have to call HK), it will lighten up the DA pull a couple of pounds or you can convert it to the LEM trigger. I personally always shoot them cocked and locked for first shot.

You have to remember that a USP, XD etc are made for combat type use. They are built for the +p ammo not super light target loads. My XD will not cycle some reloads that a 1911 will, it all depends on what spring is in the 1911. If you shoot standard ammo in the USP it should be 100%.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thanks for all the kind replies!

Not sure how to tell polygonal from the "old barrel" and tips? What am I looking for?
Pull the barrels from both pistols and compare the bores. Should be obvious. As for lead reloads... I'd avoid them in the HK if possible. As for the firing pin buy a pack of snap caps to practice dry firing. If the gun is new HK will cover under warranty, or did you purchase from a private party. Enjoy your 9, I have mine at the range just about every week and it's been flawless. You will get used to the V1. Just take time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I also reside in NY, but i disagree with anyone who calls me a NY'er.

congrats on the HK. Most of your questions will be easily found w/ the search button on here. I believe the bspringfield in question is a member here and does good work from what i hear. i'm planning on sending my 91 out to him, but i've been real busy (and i hate not having my guns at home).
1. good deal
2. there were some refinements along the way but i have an early usp45f and it's great
3. i believe lead will be detrimental to your barrel, at the very least tough to clean, could u use fmj's in your loading and spend just a bit more?
4. about 9 pounds, i think? i got used to it or check out Scooters FAQ's, he talks about this and nearly all normal questions on there.
5. i use the ctac holster (Mtac looks interesting, probably more comfortable) for my uspc40ss, VMII might be a good option too.
6. i use trijicons but mepro's are just as good and usually a touch cheaper and a little brighter. personally i'm happy w/ trijicons but to each his own.

If you can make it great. If not maybe in the future. Make sure to pop in on the NYS forum on here.

There's another Hkproer that lives up there. He's a good guy. Hk7.62...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just a few things from what I've read above...

I would avoid putting in a lighter hammer spring... Some have experienced light primer strikes and FTFs. If this is a carry gun I wouldn't run the risk.

Trijicons are fine sights but they are not as bright as Meprolights so there is just a touch of difference in which one you want. I for one choose the brighter Meprolights. Both are durable and long lasting.

If you're going to use the lead watch your groups... more than likely they will begin to spread out as the bore gets dirtier and dirtier. It won't harm your barrel in as much as what the lead itself will do. But you will have to do more frequent intensive cleaning of your bore... and that can shorten barrel life. It can effect accuracy on long guns over time... wouldn't worry about it so much on a pistol. But you can clean a gun TOO much. And you will have to clean harder and longer when using lead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts