HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with novaksights.com? I was thinking of sending my usp 9f in to have the sights similar to the combat competition installed.

:2500000:
:901:
:640:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I ordered a set of sights from them to have installed on my uspf 45. They were put on by a qualified gun smith Ive used in the past, and they required some work to get into place on the rear sight. Once they were installed, the gun shot high. ridiculously high. Im talking 36" high at 20 meters. There was clearly an issue with the sight. When I called Novak about the issue, he refused to offer any kind of warranty, stating that "It could be operator error" I politely explained I was a expert marksman with my very large LE department and trained frequently-, and offered a paper proof target at 15m, he refused. My gun smith and I isolated the issue to the rear sight, and I asked to send the rear sight in for exchange, and he refused. I asked to ship him the whole gun so he could shoot it, he refused. I asked for a refund, he agreed only with a 20% restocking fee on the sights. He said I should send the gun back to HK to have them check frame, slide, barrel alignment- that the problem had to be with the gun, because his sights were "precisely machined" I explained the gun shot fine before his sights, and he refused to accept it.

I then had the same gun smith install pair of factory HK/meprolight sights on the gun and it shot 100% again. I called novak back with that information and his response was "maybe you need more range time, but the problem Isnt with those sights."

I realize its an isolated incident, because what i heard of them is what moved me to buy them....but based on that encounter, Id say unless the gun comes with novaks installed, stay away from them. They had, without a doubt, the worste customer service I have ever experienced for any product in my life.

-KP

·
Registered
864 Posts
that is shocking, to say the least! I actually had nothing but good experiences with them. Sent back wrong sights one time...odd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I'll hold off. Is it possible to purchase the sigths from the combat competition instead?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Those were quotes. Words can describe how angry I was with that experience.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I own a Combat Comp. and with no rear index dots on the Novak sights I find it hard to find where I should put the front sight's Hi-Viz dot in relation to the rear sights groove. While the gun does shoot "combat" accurate fine, I am still trying to figure out exactly what I have to do to make it shoot consistently in the 10 ring. Whether I am dipping the front sight too far into the groove or leveling the top with the rear I still cannot get consistent bullseyes like I can with my USPc with Tru-Glo factory sights. It seems faster "reaction" type shots are more accurate then carefully aimed shots, which only adds to my confusion.

I like the sights, but if I had my choice I would have them be the Novak night sights for sake of rear index dots. That would make life alot easier. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
The front dot is only used to make it easier to pick up the front sight. Sight alignment is just like without any dots. POI is at the top of the front sight when the top of the front sight is leveled with the top of the rear sight.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Thank you Scooter. I will pay more attention to this next time at the range and see if I can shoot it better. It's always seemed like a crying shame that I can shoot my "cheaper" USPc better than my more expensive USP Combat Comp. Hopefully I can rectify this now. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
With proper instruction, most people tend to shoot better (both more accurate and faster) with all black sights than with 3 dot set up. With a single dot on the front sight, you eyes will naturally focus on the front sight which is what you should be looking at anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts