HKPRO Forums banner

NY/NYC Permit / Rookie Questions / HK Guidance

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  coyote135 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board, and currently not an owner of an HK or any firearm for that matter :(. I'm starting the paperwork to get my permit in NY and from what I've read on here I'll need an NYC permit as well, zat correct?? What are the general wait times for permits in the state and the city. I'm guessing that it's going to be at least 6 month for the state just because they usually take a long time.

Since I can't purchase a weapon until I get my permit I have some time to make my decision which one to get but I wanted to turn to the wisdom of the list for some guidance, and of course pack away some extra cash to pay for it.

It was suggested that I should most likely pick up a weapon either identical or very similar to the duty weapon that I'm most likely to be carrying. I'm in the process for a few federal agencies and from what I've heard/seen the most common duty weapons are the Sig 229, or the HK P2000 in .40. Now I've tried shooting various Glocks and I didn't like them, the Sig is nice just don't like the way it fits my hand and it's a little uncomfortable, but when I picked up the P2000 it felt perfect for my hand, and I'm guessing that it will fire very similarly to the USP would that be a correct assumption?

So I'm looking to pick up a P2000 SK V3 .40 (I like the decock button), would this be a smart purchase or should I look at something like the full size P2000, the P30 or a different version of the SK?? Any kind of guidance or advise would be appreciated as I'm really new to this whole shooting thing, and I would like to get things right the first time instead of that whole trial and error thing. Are there any HK Dealers in Mnhattan or shooting ranges in the city? I've only done a quick websearch and came up with West Side Shooting I think it is, but that's a fairly expensive membership club. Any others?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
To get a permit in NYC will take you a minimum of 6 months. The best shop in Manhattan to check out HKs would be NY Ironworks in lower Manhattan right by 1 Police Plaza (Chinatown). Problem is without a permit, I doubt they will let you handle the weapon. In Long Island right by the Nassau Coliseum is Coliseum Guns. They have a nice selection of HKs to look at.

I shoot out of the West Side range and if you join one of the gun clubs that uses West Side's facilities, it is much cheaper. If you stop by, most likely someone there will be shooting an HK though they don't have them for rent.

#3 ·
you probably will not be granted a permit until you own a firearm. b/c you must have a reason to be granted a permit to begin with.

when i moved here, my guns from out of state had to go to a ffl's safe and sit there until my permits came in. if i wouldn't have had guns, i would have had to bought one before i mailed the app into westchester.

since it sounds like u r an leo, i can tell u where to go to a guy who runs an gun shop up here. great guy. but he doesn't deal w/ people in NYC. but if u r leo, he'll be ok.

i like the uspc series, that would be my recommendation. i think being a fed or millionaire is about the only way u r going to get an unrestricted carry in NYC. good luck.

#4 ·
BTW, the P2000 SK is a great shooting gun. Another HKPro member from NYC let me try his out. The grip is on the short side, so if you have smaller hands, it would be good. You definitely need to hit a shop that will let you handle the weapon so you know what fits your hand best.

If you want to stop by the West Side range on Saturdays about noon time, I am usually there. I can let you hold my USP Compact and USP Tactical. But without a permit yet, I'm afraid you are not going to be able to try them out.

Good luck with the federal agency applications. Those KSA's are a pain the butt.

#5 · (Edited)
duty weapon? If you're already LE, you should have your CCW already. However, you won't be able to CCW non NYPD approved firearms due to liability reasons.

EDIT: just saw you're federal agent. The process for you guys is different, consult the agency to fast track your paperwork. Most of the FBI and DOHS agents I see are using P2000's and Sig P226, although there's still a scattering of glocks. The first two are a good choice.

Westside also gives cheaper memberships for LE/Federal folk.

I'm a member but I'm a civilian (although have lots of LE, federal, and military contacts).

Also planning on selling my P2000sk LEM 9mm once I get my USPc, but that won't be until late Jan. at this rate.

#6 ·
If you are only in the process and not currently a LE officer, then I'm going to give you the contrary opinion and tell you not to start trying to famiiarize yourself with a weapon and guess what you might be issued. You join certain agencies, and you'd better learn how to like the Glock. You don't get a choice.

You will be issued a weapon at your academy and you will be trained with it. And you will be trained with it the way that your agency wants you to. You will put yourself behind the 8 ball if you've taught yourself a bunch of bad habits.

I speak from experience on this.

The information below about FBI agents using P2000s or P226s is misleading. Should you end up joining the FBI, neither of those pistols will be an option for you. You'll be issued a Glock. I'm a Federal agent and I might show up with a variety of weapons at a range, but it doesn't mean that those are my duty weapons.

I don't know where you're applying, but to me, buying a pistol that they're going to GIVE YOU, doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially when you don't know what pistol they're going to give you and then you don't know whether you could carry the pistol that you bought. Many agencies are very restrictive in the latitude they give their agents to carry personally owned weapons. At the minimum, you will end up having to send your agency your pistol to have it inspected before you could carry it.

As for obtaining a permit, all that will be irrelevant if you do become a Federal agent. Consider whether you are putting the cart before the horse here. If you want to go through the application process anyway, read the NYPD's website on the firearms application process. You might very well get hired at an agency before the NYPD would get around to issuing you a permit. Do you want to spend that kind of money on something you won't need (assuming you get hired)?

#7 ·
Why buy a gun you are going to be issued anyways? Like others have said, don't put the cart before the horse. Get hired and complete the academy (FLETC). Once you have your issued guns and creds, there is no need for a permit.

As for kinds of guns, i'm only aware of two federal agencies that issue HK pistols for general carry, CBP (U.S. Customs and Border Protection) who are transitioning to the P2000 and the U.S. Park Police who carry the P7. However, Glock and Sig have contracts for a overwhelming majority of the federal LE agencies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.