HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been looking around for an OD green off-the-shelf spray paint that is close to the color of the G3 OD green furniture.

I have purchased three OD green handguards and one black handguard which were supposed to be "Good to Excellent" and the best one would barely rate as "Good" in my opinion. So, I am tired of playing the surplus lottery and would just like to refurbish the handguards that I have (or at least try). I noticed that all of them appear to have been re-painted previosly...I suppose that sometime in their history they were painted at the arsenal level.

Anyway, I know that the fiberglass handguards, plastic pistol grips and stocks can vary a bit in color...but I would still like something close.

Thanks, Tim

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Stop beating your head against the wall and buy some paint for plastic the color you want. Home Depot and Lowes Both carry a large selection of plastic compatible paints that will work great. If you can't find a color of paint you like Cerakote is always a very good option.
Paint it all to match.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunately, I have not reached the stage of beating my head against the wall on this...yet. I would like to paint a set of not-so-nice furniture FDE or Desert Sand, but the stock and grip on my rifle are in perfect shape so they will not be molested.

What surprises me is that my local Home Depot only had one can of OD Rustoleum with no other options. Lowe's and Menards had no OD green at all...they just don't carry it for some reason. They do have colors that may be close to the Alpine green though. I suppose the corporate managers are just not sympathetic to hillbilly needs.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Blick/Utrect/Jerrys or any real art store will have premium spray cans ($10) in many greens.

Dennis

·
Registered
34,520 Posts
Again--- welcome--- you may want to see if the store can match the color that you want--- use "test" furniture to see how the color turns out!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
366 Posts
I got the OD green furniture. I really may try to get the tropical green type. Yes, wrong paint on plastic will suck. I've beaten my head against the wall after drooling on myself from doing stupid stuff several times when I bust the spray paint out.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
will the rustoleum camo line not work? sold at every walmart I've ever been in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did pick up a can of the Rustoleum "Deep Forest Green" and unfortunately you can't judge a spray paint by it's cap. I test spayed an aluminum can and it looked like it may work for me...until I put it next to the stock...too green. Too bad because the cap looks close enough. Another can may have a different hue though.

I also picked up a can of Krylon "Spanish Olive" and it is really green.

As mentioned above, I could take the stock to an automotive paint shop and have them scan it and then get them to mix up a spray can for me. However, I don't know if they can mix up a flat paint for me. Anyway it would cost around $20 for a can and there is no guarantee (from previous experience) that it would be an exact match although I am sure it would be close enough.

I am really surprised that none of the big stores have only one brand of an OD type green (Rustoleum). Lowe's didn't even carry it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Duracoat is a bit pricey, but they now carry the majority of their selection in spray cans. Stay away from the UV ones, though...they harden-up inside after 24 hrs. The others last about 3 weeks. Their Advanced Tiger Stripe Brown gives you the most beautiful Jungle Green and they also offer the HK Light (Their green furniture color). Very easy to use, extremely durable and amazing color selection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts