HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just back from the range with "the Boys", and the P 30 was a real pain. First couple of mags, no problem, then the slide stopped locking back. I put probably another 100 rounds thru it, even three to five a time, would not lock back.

I'm going to clean it, see what the forum here thinks, and go back tomorrow for another 200 rounds.

The Hk 45, man it just cranked them off, no problems, slide locked back every time, even getting the first round DA/ SA transition worked out. It's just an awesome gun!

I'd appreciate any advice on the P30, hopefully it's not a big deal

Thanks in advance

Bob

S

·
0 Posts
Did you only try one type of ammo? I've found using weak ammo on a new gun can cause this. It will need somewhat hot ammo to break in.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did

I used Federal AE, S&B, even some SXT's and Hydra-shoks, I thought about weak ammo, thanks for confirming that thought

Bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think it might be your finger accidentally hitting the slide stop slever. When I bought mine I noticed it not locking back as well. Then I realized I was hitting the lever and had to adjust my grip slightly....problem solved.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think it might be your finger accidentally hitting the slide stop slever. When I bought mine I noticed it not locking back as well. Then I realized I was hitting the lever and had to adjust my grip slightly....problem solved.
That's what I was thinking

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had the same issues with my USPs at one point, upon farther examination I realized that my thumb on my non firing hand was resting on the slide release ever so slightly causing the problem. Once I adjusted my grip it was smooth sailing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The same things happens to me with my P30 and it's 100% my fault, becasue it is soooo easy to resy your thumb on the slide release when you get a good grip on the gun. I have to put a lot of thought into not doing it (because my grip feels so good with my thumb right on top of that slide release!).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is this just a P30 thing? Is the slide release location that different from a USP or USPc? I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet, but heard so many positive reports I really want one now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is this just a P30 thing? Is the slide release location that different from a USP or USPc? I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet, but heard so many positive reports I really want one now.
IMO It's a USP thing as well. Especially if you have long fingers *thumbs* Just takes a little effort to overcome it though.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll watch for that...

Thank You guys, I knew I'd get some good help here

Bob

·
Registered
196 Posts
In regards to the slide not locking back - we also had the same problem the first time we went to the range with the P30, but we had not cleaned the gun thoroughly after picking it up.

After cleaning it very thoroughly and putting a couple of hundred rounds through it, we never had that problem again.

If you are still having this problem, you might want to try taking a grip where you are sure you are not anywhere near the slide release, and see if the problem still occurs.

You also might want to try a very firm grip and make sure that you are not “limp-wristing” it. It is a lighter gun and it is a brand new spring.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll look at that too...

I appreciate the time

Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
I completely second Kenji's response about the slide. Mine would not stick the first range visit. I cleaned the gun again and went to a spicier ammo type. After about the 75th round through the gun it started to lock the slide, and got more and more reliable with the slide.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you

I appreciate your taking the time to jump in, what kind of ammo did you use? I'm going back tomorrow with Federal American Eagle, CCI Lawman, and some Winchester White Box. I have a lot of the Federal, bought it before price raises, for that's what the MP5 really likes, I was hoping that P30 would like it as well, keep my fingers crossed anyway

Thanks again

Bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just shot 200 rounds of Fed. Amer. Eagle and WWB thru my gun and the only time the slide didn't lock back was when I bumped the slide release with my Thumb. I'm a Southpaw and once I adjusted my grip all was well.

Did I mention that this gun is awesome!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
+1 on riding the slide release. Unfortunately, thats the most comfortable position for me, is right on the slide release. I only shoot at the range, so I figure its really not that big of a deal for me if it doesn't lock after the last round. It only takes 2 seconds to rack the slide on a new mag.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I appreciate your taking the time to jump in, what kind of ammo did you use? I'm going back tomorrow with Federal American Eagle, CCI Lawman, and some Winchester White Box. I have a lot of the Federal, bought it before price raises, for that's what the MP5 really likes, I was hoping that P30 would like it as well, keep my fingers crossed anyway

Thanks again

Bob
Remington +P JHP

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A Happy ending!

Thanks guys, I was riding the slide lock, 200 rounds of CCI Lawman, WWB, Fed AE, not the first hiccup!

Definately need to watch hand and thumb placement.

Thanks everyone for your input, is sincerely appreciated.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts