HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after having this thing back and forth to the factory 3 times, and having replaced the entire bolt group, ejector lever and magazines, it still refused to properly eject steel cased rounds. It cycles the brass cased fine, but ... look at the piss poor groups.

All the below were fired with my Vector 94 off hand slow fire with a zeroed Aimpoint red dot sight. All ammo was 180 gr. jacketed semi-wadcutter.
Brands were Wolf steelcase, RWS and Jack Ross. All were newly mfg'd.

The steelcased stuff fails to eject every 3rd to 5th round.
All brass cycled fine and grouped poorly.

What must I do. I can't get the real thing b/c I am in CA. Whom can I send this thing to. I LOVE the gun type, but HATE the gun. WHO can get this thing working 100% and shooting better. At that range with a 9inch barrel (or so) I should be able to put all 10 through a 50 cent piece.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mike Turner. Turner Fabrications Inc. Located out of Arizona. He was the principle welder / builder for SW for 10 plus years. Yes he can make it work. I have one of his and he knows every little thing that makes these systems run and not run, yes there are idiosyncrasies with SW/Vector that most builders don't know.

Hope this helps and if you wish p.m. me

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
All the below were fired with my Vector 94 off hand
Oh, I don't know... doesn't look bad for off hand. Try resting the forend on something solid and run some off. I'm thinkin' it's just you. There aren't too many supermen out there that can put them all in under a half dollar off hand. As a matter of fact, very few can group them shooting off hand like the bottom pic.

Then again, you want a sniper rifle... go buy a sniper rifle. A Vector MP5-40 is hardly a sniper rifle... but a very capable pistol caliber carbine.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
SW receivers are known to have an internal geometry that create a very slight amount drag on the carrier. Plus, the SW barrels are also known to have inconsistent fluting depths. Both can create cycling problems which is one of the reasons they will only cycle with lo-impulse locking-pieces and 9mm recoil rods. There is also the possibility that the pack is riding high and the ejector is dragging.

Now toss in steel case ammo. HK has never recommend it because preservatives gum up flutes and/or the steel cases are more difficult to "float".

Sounds like what you are experiencing is typical. Can it be corrected? I think so. Receiver geometry can be tweaked, barrel can be replaced (if necessary). Ultimately, if steel case is all you are having issue with, just don't use it. 40's are known to be the most ammo picky of all the roller-locks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, look at the groups, the Wolf shot ten rounds in under 2 inches. The rest are all over the place. That shooting sucks. With my (real) USC/UMP at that distance I easily make one large whole in the paper. It shoots WORSE with brass than steel.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Yes there is something definitely going on with your gun. Try bench resting it and try your groups. Steel case usually gets a bad rap and personally I will not own a gun that will not digest it. I think that when a mfg says not to use it that is a bunch of bunk. Older laquer case sealants can gum up flutes and cause extraction problems in tight chambers but the fluted chamber is designed for aiding extraction and this is an issue with rifle cartridges on full auto and related excessive chamber temps. Pretty much non existant in pistol cals also flutes are not really needed in the pistol cals. Concerning your groups every mp5 and K model I own which is several, will consistantly hit a 3x5 in. steel plate at 100m. They are all 9mm though but with the increased velocity of the .40 you should be at least able to do that. CK and or GB who does alot of revisions and construction on the .40 could probably cure your ills. New vector, not like old vector. Your barrel may be shifting in the trunnion when the BG slams home?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. You guys are right! It is on it's way TODAY out to Mike Turner. It is bannished with instructions to come back working like an HK or don't come back at all!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Something is WRONG for sure....at 15 yards mine is a half dollar size hole...and im not that good.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Something is WRONG for sure....at 15 yards mine is a half dollar size hole...and im not that good.
That's a pretty big hole for 40 caliber. How do you get it to open up before it hits the target?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a pretty big hole for 40 caliber. How do you get it to open up before it hits the target?
Let me rephrase. After firing 10 rounds with my UMP, one large hole is made in the paper rather than a series of individual bullet holes. (better)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts