HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just put some money down on an SL8, so I figured I'd better get a membership here. Hi, how y'all doing? Some of you may know me from the other gun forums, but I promise I'll behave myself here (within reason). I do have to admit that some of HK's policies and attitudes have cheesed me off mightily in the past, but I figure times change and I'm willing to play nice if they will. However, just because I'm a civilian doesn't make me less capable of handling a firearm-- there, I said it, now we can move on. I sell ARs for a manufacturer for a living and have had my own FFL, so I do have some knowledge of the larger picture. And I am greatly looking forward to posting photos of my new G36 conversion! :62:

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
You've been a member here, since 2011. What you should have said is that you decided to make your first post.

HKO's policies have not changed much. HKI is stuck between a German parent company with German thinking, German rules... And a U.S. commercial community that can not grasp that WE do not always get what we want.

With that said, Congrats ;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Congrats on the aqcuisition...stick to the rules of the forum and you couldn't ask for a better group of guys to get timely answers to specific questions

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome! Mr. Kid is quite correct, of course; a while back I took logins for every forum I could find, against future need and because some content wasn't available without logging in. Since I was wrapped up in ARs and FALs at the time I didn't have much to add to the dialog, so I figured silence was more becoming-- that has changed now with th SL8 purchase. And you guys will find me very law-abiding, and even a bit retiring; I figure that someone here has to have had my issues before, all I have to do is find the relevant post.

Yes, it's easy to forget the dual corporate nature of H&K-- the events I referred to actually happened at the SHOT show in 2007. The individual in question did in fact have a German accent and made some unfortunate remarks about my august self to one of his colleagues, in German, so who knows, maybe he was a Home Office type. Unfortunately for him mmy German is quite fluent . . . like I said, I'll play nice.

Mr. Kid, you are going to end up with a wad of my cash one of these days . . . :100000:

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
"Mr. Kid" -- LOL, nice.

Not too much cash all at once... we need to feed your new habbit slowly--and with my wait times, that probably won't be an issue, lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, the compliance parts aren't too horrible, so I can get the muzzle threaded up anyway, and maybe the magwell rout-- worst case then would be to do a receiver plug while I'm waiting. About that: do you need to keep the rifle for the whole wait time, or can I play with it for a while and ship it to you after say six months or so?? Seems a long time to do without, but I've done worse and it is for a Good Cause.

Since I have your attention, is the SL8 barrel heavier than the G36 barrel? It would appear so from the photos I've seen. I'm kind of a sucker for heavy barrels, you see.

ETA: As time goes I'd like to try my hand at building an MP5k semi clone. I can weld reasonably well, but I'm scratching my head about bending the flat that HKparts sells-- almost looks like a piece of pipe may work. Is there a better subforum to ask about this, or have I just committed heresy??

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Welcome. I saw the flats you are referring to on the HKParts site a few weeks ago myself and had the same question. I would love to learn how one goes about bending a flat properly so that it is straight and true if they (read I) were to purchase one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I just did both a site and general web search for "HK flat bending" and found about eleven different ways of doing it. Some are as simple as using a piece of 3/4 drill rod and a bench vise, and some as complex as spending $300+ on a proper jig. If I'm going to just build one receiver (I know, I know, I've already had BRD for three decades) I can't see buying a jig as cost effective. Someone out there must have one who is amenable to bribery. But we'll burn that bridge when we get to it-- first I have a G36 to build, and then the C2A1 I threw aside when I found the SL8, and then the other M14 I threw aside when I realized the C2A1 was doable after 12 years of wishing, and and and . . . (I've been at this a loooong time) lol

(ETA-- Did I happen to mention that I own the only Mega Machine slick-sided AR receiver known to exist? All I need to do is coat it and its upper with the right coating and I can assemble it into a 604gery, all the parts and a brand new NOS Colt barrel are in a box in my studio-- yup, been there for six years. I really ought to finish that this summer. . . :2300000: )

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Welcome to HK Pro! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I'm official now-- I picked up my SL8-6 after work today. As luck would have it, it's a Columbus gun, so the barrel will likely be hard to remove, but that can wait-- now begins the acquisition of the 922(r) parts. Looks like we'll start with a piston and bolt, then get into fire control parts and take it from there. More as it happens . . .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Curious, are you getting that cheaper bolt from HKparts.net or wait on the HDPS bolt? the latter seems out of stock at the moment, or not?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure yet, more research needed. The HDPS bolt has a great track record, and if they were available I'd buy one-- but I know nothing about the other bolt, not even who makes it. On the other hand it may do for a stopgap, and then I can write up my own review.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts