HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, curious if any of you have handled or fired the older walther/hk mp5 22 and the newer hk mp5 22 that was just released?

Are they basically the same? Is one "better" than the other?

I've always wanted an mp5 just because, but can't fathom spending the amount of money for a real 9mm mp5, so became very intrigued with the cheap 22lr mp5. Sadly got discontinued and prices went way up, then they re-released them this month for a reasonable price.

The older model seemed to get very good reviews, and available in the "a5" variant which i like more than the current "sd" variant. Are the older ones worth the extra price, or should I just settle for the newer, cheaper version?

Any clue if they will release a mp5a5 rifle version?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I believe that the SD is the same as the older ones (except for slight marking differences due to changes in the importer). The pistol version is only different in that originally that version was a rifle with a 16” barrel and the collapsible stock. Now, it has a short, threaded barrel and an endcap instead.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I would venture to say they are probably the same. Both made by Umarex but now imported by HK instead of Walther.
Other way around, at least for the old ones. My 2012 gun says “Made by Carl Walther Germany” and “US Importer Umarex USA”. It’s a bit of a fine point anyway since Umarex owns Walther.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have shot both although it's been too long since I handled the older version to remember any difference. I submitted an employee purchase order in January and received the SD version last month. I was expecting the earlier version or I probably would have ordered the pistol instead. I must say the new version is growing on me. It's a hoot to shoot and when you're at the range everyone assumes it's silenced. At >MSRP vs $800 it's a no brainer although the older models (which were made by Umarex) may come down. One thing I would suggest if you're going to get one is start looking for NOS mags laying around LGSs. I was able to find 2 in the bargain bin at a local shop here. Word from HK is they are not available and they have no idea when they will be.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update on mags. I just got notified the mags I ordered were shipped today from HK. That means they should be showing up in LGSs soon. MSRP is $35. HKParts is charging $59.
You probably ordered the 25-round. HK mags are expensive, but they're the only one that has it, it's sold out everywhere.

Also, I was browsing their page for the 25-round spring: MP5 .22 Magazine Spring For 25 Round Magazine - HKPARTS

There's a footnote stated that:
Walther has made changes on any new production 10 round mags that prevent them from being converted so this applies ONLY to the older style 10 round magazine without a permanent block installed.
So it's a new change by Walther for the new 10-round mag production for the mp5 .22lr if I'm reading it correctly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey all, curious if any of you have handled or fired the older walther/hk mp5 22 and the newer hk mp5 22 that was just released?

I've always wanted an mp5 just because, but can't fathom spending the amount of money for a real 9mm mp5, so became very intrigued with the cheap 22lr mp5. Sadly got discontinued and prices went way up, then they re-released them this month for a reasonable price.

The older model seemed to get very good reviews, and available in the "a5" variant which i like more than the current "sd" variant. Are the older ones worth the extra price, or should I just settle for the newer, cheaper version?

I will be getting my hands on the new ones shortly, but like other people said, they should be about the same. We’ll see though. I plan on doing side by side comparison video. I did a few videos years ago on the Walther SBR I made so I’m really curious how it stacks up.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just got mine (SD) yesterday. And honestly, it feels better than the older model. Triggers a bit heavier, but overall, it’s an AWESOME update. I got mine on www.gunbrokers.com

Product Air gun Luggage and bags Bag Trigger

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I contacted Haga Defence via email today. They replied that they are working on an end cap for the pistol with a 1913 rail attached. They didn't give an exact release date just it would be out ASAP.
In the meantime, I scabbed together my own by attaching a short Mlok section to the original endcap.
Air gun Black Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun

·
HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
1,284 Posts
I took the dive into getting one of the Umarex version pistols, thanks to a heads up here from Mike @Cross Creek Guns. I figured going with the pistol version is way-less effort to SBR w/o any barrel chopping of my original Walther version. The original Walther A2 & A3 stocks both fit perfectly w/o any wobble & pin holes align exactly the same (or so I noted - wink wink). Except for some different Umarex vs. Walther Mfg markings and the internal trigger pack housing is plastic vs. metal (as with the Walther), it looks like everything is exactly the same. 'Glad to have ordered one of the original A2 stocks through Walther when they first came out (& only available) for just a few short months. Need some pressure on Walther & Umarex to generate some more A2 & A3 stocks, especially for those of us that want to go down the SBR path. Added my TAC-65 suppressor to see how it looked... Cheers!

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

Air gun Office equipment Office supplies Trigger Bumper

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had one of the older A5 rifle versions 7-8 years ago. Worked very well, but sadly I let it go to fund other toys at the time. I've watched vids on the new SD version and they're exactly the same in their overall design and disassembly. The pistol version is new as they were only offered as rifles years ago. I believe the original options were A5 rifle or SD rifle, both with fake suppressor obviously. The new options are basically the same, but the A5 dropped the fake suppressor and stock and became a pistol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts