HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from western Oregon. I've read posts on here for years. Figured it was finally time to join! I've only had two HK type guns a long gone CETME and a z5p. (as soon as I win the lottery I will buy some real HK stuff)
In May I bought a Zenith Z5p to turn into a mp5k pdw style gun. It was my pre election purchase and basically a dream gun. I'm currently looking for a can for my little 9mm pdw.(I want to use a trilug mount and it might go on a 9mm Glock at some point. Mainly the mp5k clone though) I keep going back and fourth between the Omega 9k and Rev 9. My top priority is reliable heading safe self defense. I would like it to be quite enough to shoot with no ears. With hush or hand-loads anyway. It will be carried around in the car and hiking. So length is an issue but not at the expense of my hearing. (I've got a longer suppressed 300blk for house duty) I'm really at a loss though. The decision has been made harder by the fact that both cans have near identical prices right now. I really need some advice from 9k and rev9 owners. My thoughts are as follows.

Omega 9k
Very small, light, looks scifi movie cool but the tri-lug mount is long and of questionable quality. I can fix this with a rugged tri-lug but I don't want to mess up my accuracy or make the can loud. Anyone actually use a Rugged tri-lug on this can? Dose it work ok?

Rev 9 in K configuration
Quieter than the 9k and about the same length assuming you are using factory tri-lug mounts. However it's a good inch longer if I fudge and use a non SiCo tri-lug mount on the 9k. It is user serviceable so that's nice but not needed for me. Alloy tube that will scratch up. I've destroyed quite a few aluminum items in my day so that alloy tube bothers me. Sure wish it was ti.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Either you want quiet or you want short. Lots of people use the Rugged or Griffin mounts on the Omega 9K, but it does remove some of the volume of the can vice the big Sico 3lug.

Rugged Obsidian is another option for full/k config, as is the new AAC Tirant 9M.

I have an Obsidian coming, but wouldn't be upset if it was an Omega 9K. That said, I always wear ears when I shoot, even 22LR suppressed in semi-autos, and especially 300BLK subs. The port pop is loud on AR type rifles and I am trying to preserve my hearing.

Another pro for the Omega is there is nothing to shoot loose, outside of the mount, and you can shoot 300BLK supers through it.

For me it's not a tough call: Omega 9K and ear plugs :100000:

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
I was just shooting my mp5 RS with obsidian45 in short config. I think it's a great option.

Changes length easier than a revolution. User serviceable...if you reload this might be a plus. Short and light enough for me. And, it goes on the hk45t.

·
Registered
52 Posts
9k for dedicated can but if you want versatility go with a modular pistol can like rugged or dead air.
Rev9 is the same as the octane from SiCo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a ham radio operator so my hearing is very important to me. I double up plugs/muffs when shooting un-suppressed. I wear plugs with my suppressed 300blk. The action noise on an ar15 is enough to damage your hearing. I think I'll go with the omega 9k with rugged tri-lug. The whole point of a mp5k pdw is it's short and handy. I'll get a bolt action and hand load subs if I want to shoot suppressed without plugs.

R

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've shot the 9k w/rugged 3-lug on a mp5k without any hearing protection. It was quite acceptable to me. I have bigger cans that I can tell are quieter. I'll just been using the 9k since I got it. If I was going to do an afternoon of full auto I'd put in ear plugs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The NFA Review channel did a review on the Dakota Tactical D54-N (full sized Navy instead of the compact) and towards the end of the video they put an Omega 9K. They used either the Griffin or Rugged 3 Lug mount instead of the SilencerCo mount. I think it sounded pretty good. Here's a link starting when they add the Omega 9K. From everything I've seen the Omega 9K is magic on a sub gun. I'll be sending off a Form 4 for one on Monday and I'll be using it exclusively on MP5 style guns. I've never been in the market for a 9mm suppressor for use on a pistol, I prefer the flexibility of a .45 can. So, I've done zero research on the Revolution 9. From what I've read the Omega 9K performs as one would expect a very short suppressor would on pistols. My gut feeling is that on a pistol host the Revolution 9 would perform better. You said that it would be mainly for the MP5K PDW so I'm going to suggest the Omega 9K.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 9K or Rev9, but I do own a TiRant 9s with an AAC 3 lug adapter. The setup is very compact even with the 3 lug adapter. I run it on all of my 9mm roller lock SBRs. Are you stuck only on those two options for a 9mm can?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Both are great silencers and I like Griffin a lot, but the Omega 9K is something special. It's ridiculously short. The Omega 9K is awesome with the Rugged or Griffin 3-lug mounts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The Dead Air Ghost is just as short as the SiCo Omega 9K, but you have the option to run the extra baffles for an even quieter time. Tim @ Military Arms Channel compare the two in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7KCdNy1mmQ
The Dead Air Ghost in its short configuration (6.2") is about the same length as the Omega 45K (6.36"), not the Omega 9K (4.7"). Size comparison starts around 13:30.
I agree that if shooting .45 is important that a Ghost is probably a better choice than the Omega 45K because of that modularity. The 45K probably meters a little better because it has a larger diameter (1.48" vs 1.375") and doesn't have a removable baffle stack to reduce internal volume. But I suspect you'll only notice that difference when shot next to each other. I also think that the Rugged Obsidian is in the same class as the Ghost.
The Ghost and Obsidian are also probably better choices for a first pistol suppressor. But, if you already have those needs covered I'd still suggest picking the Omega 9K for a MP5.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cylinder Product Material property Gas Silver
This picture shows a size comparison of the different .45 suppressors. Left to right is the Rugged Obsidian, the Dead Air Ghost, the SilencerCo Omega 45K, and the SilencerCo Osprey 45. The Obsidian and Ghost are in their short configuration.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've thought about it a lot and I really don't see the need to suppress my 45. The ammo is expensive and it will never be as quite as a 9mm. If I was looking at just a range toy I'd go with a multi cal can like the Hybrid or a 45 can. However I am primarily concerned with saving my hearing if I am forced to fire a few rounds without hearing protection. The fun factor is secondary.
My dealer also thinks the omega 9k is the cat's meow. It looks more and more like I am going to haft to buy one of the little buggers!

R

R

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just sent off my Form 4 for an Omega 9K last week. Then, because I found another one at a great price I ordered it because I want multiple people to be able to shoot at once quietly. I can't wait for my stamps to start rolling in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've thought about it a lot and I really don't see the need to suppress my 45. The ammo is expensive and it will never be as quite as a 9mm. If I was looking at just a range toy I'd go with a multi cal can like the Hybrid or a 45 can. However I am primarily concerned with saving my hearing if I am forced to fire a few rounds without hearing protection. The fun factor is secondary.
My dealer also thinks the omega 9k is the cat's meow. It looks more and more like I am going to haft to buy one of the little buggers!

R

R

Edit:. I went and read my pre-obsidian response, laughed a little. I have yet to shoot the K config as the long is not really the boat anchor I thought.

Either of your options in the OP will serve you well. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts