HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well... I guess I get to test that lifetime warranty now.

I picked one of the Gideon Shadow uppers in .45 ACP up from Atlantic Firearms a few weeks ago. Next I gathered the rest of the necessary parts and a few German UMP-45 mags. I sent the lower in to Omega for conversion, and it was quick (they do them on Fridays) plus I got a shipping notification with tracking for the return. I got it yesterday and went to the range after work.

I had a coat of fireclean on the bolt and guide rod, mags were HK German UMP-45, and ammunition was S&B 230 gr .45 ACP ball.

On the first full magazine, shooting at a slow cadence of fire, the bolt stayed to the rear after exactly 10 rounds (what I thought was premature lockback). I tried to hit the bolt release, but it was already flush. I tried to use the charging handle, but it was not reaching the bolt. The bolt was stuck to the rear at the end of travel, with the spring at it's maximum compression.

(Bolt jammed far to the rear- )

My next attempt was to mortar it on the table, but the floppy brace I was using absorbed too much of the force. I folded the stock and tried to mortar it- no go.

I tried to push the bolt back with a screwdriver in the mag well, but did not want to risk damaging it. The guide rod was perfectly parallel to the bore, so no weird stuff there. I thought I was pretty smart to try dropping a piece of 5.56 brass in there between the charging handle and the bolt, to try to use the charging handle, but that might have been the worst idea- I gave the handle a few good yanks and I don't think it's functioning the same way any more- it no longer wants to go back in the recess and it has a lot more see-saw now.

(No brass, not reaching- )

When I got home, disappointed, I tried tapping the muzzle on the linoleum floor of my laundry room. No go. Finally I tried dropping the weapon muzzle first on the linoleum- and that got it unstuck!

I still have a problem though- the lower will not come off at all, even pulling very hard on the pistol grip, with the takedown pin removed, after charging a few times. I'm had assumed something broke with the recoil spring, maybe the end cap and now the spring is pushing on a different part of the lower, outside the recess, but...

The bolt was actually being held to the rear by deformation in the receiver, and now that deformation is preventing the lower from coming off.

There is a large curl of material from the upper reaching down into the lower, and some black shavings fell out while trying to separate. I can't get it off.

So, I contacted Omega last night and told them I will need to send it in. I think it is probably wrecked. It's so strange though- what on the lower portion of the bolt would have been hitting or dragging? Plus it did 10x rounds without any malfunction before locking up HARD.

If I could get the lower off, I might even send it back in to Atlantic and start over... since I have more faith in them. I think anything I do to get the stuck lower off might void the warranty though, so I will wait to hear from Wade.

Sucks...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well... I guess I get to test that lifetime warranty now.

I picked one of the Gideon Shadow uppers in .45 ACP up from Atlantic Firearms a few weeks ago. Next I gathered the rest of the necessary parts and a few German UMP-45 mags. I sent the lower in to Omega for conversion, and it was quick (they do them on Fridays) plus I got a shipping notification with tracking for the return. I got it yesterday and went to the range after work.

I had a coat of fireclean on the bolt and guide rod, mags were HK German UMP-45, and ammunition was S&B 230 gr .45 ACP ball.

On the first full magazine, shooting at a slow cadence of fire, the bolt stayed to the rear after exactly 10 rounds (what I thought was premature lockback). I tried to hit the bolt release, but it was already flush. I tried to use the charging handle, but it was not reaching the bolt. The bolt was stuck to the rear at the end of travel, with the spring at it's maximum compression.

(Bolt jammed far to the rear- )

My next attempt was to mortar it on the table, but the floppy brace I was using absorbed too much of the force. I folded the stock and tried to mortar it- no go.

I tried to push the bolt back with a screwdriver in the mag well, but did not want to risk damaging it. The guide rod was perfectly parallel to the bore, so no weird stuff there. I thought I was pretty smart to try dropping a piece of 5.56 brass in there between the charging handle and the bolt, to try to use the charging handle, but that might have been the worst idea- I gave the handle a few good yanks and I don't think it's functioning the same way any more- it no longer wants to go back in the recess and it has a lot more see-saw now.

(No brass, not reaching- )

When I got home, disappointed, I tried tapping the muzzle on the linoleum floor of my laundry room. No go. Finally I tried dropping the weapon muzzle first on the linoleum- and that got it unstuck!

I still have a problem though- the lower will not come off at all, even pulling very hard on the pistol grip, with the takedown pin removed, after charging a few times. I'm had assumed something broke with the recoil spring, maybe the end cap and now the spring is pushing on a different part of the lower, outside the recess, but...

The bolt was actually being held to the rear by deformation in the receiver, and now that deformation is preventing the lower from coming off.

There is a large curl of material from the upper reaching down into the lower, and some black shavings fell out while trying to separate. I can't get it off.

So, I contacted Omega last night and told them I will need to send it in. I think it is probably wrecked. It's so strange though- what on the lower portion of the bolt would have been hitting or dragging? Plus it did 10x rounds without any malfunction before locking up HARD.

If I could get the lower off, I might even send it back in to Atlantic and start over... since I have more faith in them. I think anything I do to get the stuck lower off might void the warranty though, so I will wait to hear from Wade.

Sucks...
Just checking, you did have the bolt machined down to the proper specs right? Your post does not explicitly state that you had it machined.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bolt machined down to the proper specs right?
It's an Omega Bolt, not an HK.

Every single part is marked with an Omega symbol, in fact- bolt, handstop, charging handle... even the firing pin.

The Omega GS complete uppers from Atlantic Firearms only need 0,1/FBI lowers with slight modification... which I sourced and then sent off to Omega for modification to the hooks and removal of the safety sear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts