HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an Omega OM9K, the MP5k clone in "pistol" configuration with just an end cap. It came with a POF mag and appeared unfired, other than a strip down the bore, following the rifling. Dunno if it was lead or rust, I bought the gun.

I function tested it with the included POF mag with 124gn Win 9mm NATO and 147gn Federal American Eagle. It malfunctioned 27 times in those 60 rounds. Failures to eject for the most part.

I went back out to get video of it not working next to my POF working fine. I tried a KCI gen 2 mag with similiar results. I gave up before getting through 2 mags. Ejection pattern is erratic enough to hit my front hand on the foregrip once, which confused me. The extractor spring seems good.

Omega isn't answering the phone and hasn't responded to my email. Anybody know what the deal is? I heard of sketchy dealings in the past. I don't want to be out $1900, but I also know if they are reincorporating I should just give up and sell it at a loss.

Anybody know if they still have the lights on and if I can ever expect them to make good on this thing that was clearly never tested? I don't know how to proceed.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Last time I drove by their place it was open... So unsure why they're not answering. Keep in mind they're CST and who you'll be dealing with.

A big seller of their goods is the local pawn shops who may be able to provide some insight.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You could always troubleshoot it.

1.First pull it apart.
2.Scrub flutes in chamber
3.Disassemble and clean bolt carrier to include pulling the extractor spring and extractor and making sure no damage or debris under extractor.
4. Check what locking peice is in the carrier and verify its correct for a K gun. (Its an Omega, verify it is what it is suppossed to be)
5. Reassemble and while looking through mag well pull bolt carrier rearward and check ejector is lining up with slot on underside of bolt and is not binding the bolt when it is towards rear of mag well.

Failure to ejects are typically from failure to hold the empty casing to the bolt face and as the bolt traveks rearward the ejector knocks the casing free instead of sending it to orbit. First culprit is usually extractor spring, 2nd fouling or extractor damage, improper trigger pack height which means improper ejector height. Bad or fouled chamber flutes which will not allow extraction, or wrong locking peice not allowing the correct roller release with enough energy to cycle action. And sometimes bad mags or mag height.

Its mosrly starting at most common culprits and work your way down till she runs like a sewing maching.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
If Omega couldn't get it right when they sold it, don't get your hopes up that they will rectify your problem.

Send it to PCS, TPM or your custom builder of your choosing to do it right and with pride.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips so far.

I checked the flutes with a borescope. They're spotless.
Under the extractor was full of grey grease, like automotive moly grease. I had to remove it to check for debris, so there's now militec in there, and I don't know if there was anything foreign in the grease. I put the original spring back in because they're $10 and I go through them fast enough as it is.
The cocking piece is marked 110 degree, Omega branded, and it even says K on it.
The ejector appears to be centered up left and right, but I don't know how high it is supposed to ride.

The streaks I saw in the barrel were the lands. It's a 6 groove barrel and the grooves are significantly larger than the lands. It's like 35% lands, 65% grooves. Never seen that before, but I don't know anything about barrels.

As for the "it's an Omega" comment, I don't know what that means. This thing cost $500 more than my POF, so I assumed it was fancy pants. The finish seems really nice, and the finish on the POF made function impossible. It was like somebody put tar all over that gun. You could smear it off with your fingers if you pressed hard enough. If I were to have put it on carpet, that carpet would be ruined.

As for Omega not getting it right and expecting them to be able to fix it, that's exactly what I expect every time I purchase a firearm. I am of the opinion that gun manufacturers do not expect their customers to fire the guns they buy, and that they are correct. Fewer than 10% of the firearm related purchases I make are functional. I believe if you intend to use a gun, you buy it, function test it briefly, then send it back as a standard practice. Nothing works out of the box anymore.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I put the original spring back in because they're $10 and I go through them fast enough as it is.
buy a lot more of them.

never re-use a extractor spring in a HK type wepeon (except 21/23e). Its the achilles heel of the design and need to be replaced.

I agree with above, find a good smith, omega will just kick the problem down the road.

I function tested it with the included POF mag with 124gn Win 9mm NATO and 147gn Federal American Eagle. It malfunctioned 27 times in those 60 rounds. Failures to eject for the most part.
BTW the Fed 147 with the flat nose doesnt feed/shoot for sh!t unless you have curved HK mags, YMMV.

Start with good mags and 115 ball, work problems from there.

get better mags to test

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,797 Posts
As for Omega not getting it right and expecting them to be able to fix it, that's exactly what I expect every time I purchase a firearm. I am of the opinion that gun manufacturers do not expect their customers to fire the guns they buy, and that they are correct. Fewer than 10% of the firearm related purchases I make are functional. I believe if you intend to use a gun, you buy it, function test it briefly, then send it back as a standard practice. Nothing works out of the box anymore.
Every HK I've purchased (and most of them were lightly used) has worked out of the box EXACTLY as designed. I only have one that is not AN HK, but a build of an HK. IT'S worked great right out of the box.

So, I guess your experience and mine don't match and I don't know why or why not?

I wish you luck.

Reactions: Twinsen

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think it is unfair to necessarily say "Omega is bad because..." for anyone who doesn't have experience with the manufacturer. I have had excellent results speaking with Omega... but it has been some time since I reached out so it is entirely possible that something has changed. If it were me, I would continue to shoot them emails until I got a response. I would be polite up until the point at which that politeness is no longer warranted. For every person, that variable will be different. For me to be rude, I would have to be treated rude firstly. Inability to get someone on the phone would not be the breaking point for me...but I also personally prefer email over phone calls.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cleaning out under the extractor gives me a reason to retest. I'm going to use the same mags and same ammo. I'm not going to try to find a brand of mags that work or a brand of ammo. It's a $1,900 gun. It should work. The quotes and statements on Omega's website should really mean they'll fix this thing. Then again, if those were true, this gun would have been test fired by them.

The only reason I haven't had an HK manufactured purchase fail me is I haven't bought one. Friends have bought faulty HKs. It's 2020. People buy safe queens and wall hangers. Manufacturers know it.

As for Omega, they might have gotten corona or something happened. They might have 2 or 3 employees. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Sucks that we pay for stuff that are half way cooked and hoping the second generation will be better.
It shouldn't be the case or the attitude but people that support companies that have a bad record make sure that they stay in business.

You're comparing the POF that was made with HK tooling and working fine with Omega, made by the Bailey Clan. Special Weapons, Cohaire, Bobcat comes to mind. Search the webs and you'll find plenty of hate and discussions about their customer service and workmanship or lack off.

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-hk-rev-sw5/notes-hk-rev-sw5.html

What the heck ever happened to Todd Bailey? - AR15.COM

Ripoff Report > Special Weapons - Top Notch, Review - MESA, Arizona

SW-Special Weapons

Just because Omega decided to put a price tag of $500 more than the POF doesn't mean it's worth it. Cut your loss by selling it or have it corrected by one the smiths that frequent this forum. I wouldn't send it to Omega, you'll be wasting your time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was able to get through by telephone(just lucky) a couple weeks ago and they said they were understaffed due to covid. Last year when my extractor broke they answered emails promptly and had the repair completed in a couple of weeks. I now have an issue with the paddle mag release and have yet to receive my label to ship them the gun, been waiting for over a week for them to respond.

·
Registered
C93, PTR 9CT
84 Posts
Holy cow, I seriously thought they went belly up. Well it's good to know they still have the lights on! A friend has one of their guns (runs fine) and just asked yesterday about them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy cow, I seriously thought they went belly up. Well it's good to know they still have the lights on! A friend has one of their guns (runs fine) and just asked yesterday about them.
The first thing I checked was Atlantic's site. Omega roller guns are no longer listed. Not a good sign.

·
Registered
C93, PTR 9CT
84 Posts
If Atlantic doesn't have it....it doesn't exist! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm going to use the same mags and same ammo. I'm not going to try to find a brand of mags that work or a brand of ammo. It's a $1,900 gun. It should work.
I hate to break this to you but the weakest link in any semi auto gun is the MAGS (and waht rounds they feed), and I don't care how much the gun cost. Yeah it should work but the MP5 design is very particular about mags and bullet geometry, thats why real HK mags are a premium, becuase they work.

If you get one FTFeed/Eject with that flat nose stuff, it will usually bend the spring and you will get more FTEs. Most new HK guys have never experienced it form other platforms but the extractor design on a HK is terrible.

I don't know where you are, but if you can find a guy that really knows HKs close by, they could probably get the problem fixed or at least identified.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
The first thing I checked was Atlantic's site. Omega roller guns are no longer listed. Not a good sign.
I can tell you there were trucks at their place, but that's about it. No chains on the doors, for sale signs, pink "failure to pay taxes" tape, etc. Maybe going through another name change? Lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I agree about mags, but even KCI Gen 1 mags work in my POF.

I'm in central AZ, the place with alllllll the gun stuff. I'm not an "hk guy" as much as an mp5 guy. I have no idea who works on them.

The 92nd name change is what I feared of Omega.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should charging a K length gun have a very large increase in resistance the last 1/4-1/2"? My full size POF doesn't.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somebody talked me into troubleshooting it. The cocking effort was bad because the top of ejector rubs hard on the bolt. I tried a POF trigger pack and it is much smoother, but the gun still doesn't function. So there's a second problem somewhere and I am not spending one more second trying to figure it out.

Best case scenario, I send it back, then test fire it when it returns, it won't work, I'll sell it.

Also these malfs where the casing gets stuck between the bolt and carrier require tools to clear and that is comically pathetic of the design.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts