HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am so happy you would think I won the lottery!

I have been shooting IDPA with a standard USP 9mm V1 Full size and have been very happy with it. However, I wondered into a gun store a bit ago and found they had a USP 9mm Expert that was brand new! I have been eye balling it for a while and decided Saturday to bite the bullet and buy it. I became the proud owner of a brand new Expert 9mm at 2pm today! I of course was there right at my legal pick up time lol and ran out to my club and shot her. All I can say is WOW and OMG its AWESOME! First mag I put through the gun at 20 feet or so at a IDPA target all went through a 2" hole and I was shooting quick double taps. I have always smiled and been happy with all my HK's but this one blew me away! I shot another 100 rounds through it to break it in before an IDPA match this coming weekend. It ran 100% and shot much better then even a standard USP which I expected but not that much better. The sights on the gun are awesome, and very fast. I took my standard USP 9mm I have been shooting IDPA with to compare side by side and the USP Full size V1 does not kick much but the Expert kicks even less and has a more controlled muzzle rise, this was allowing me to double tap even quicker.

The other game I shoot is bowling pins and used to shoot them with the only 45acp I had at the time which is a Springfield XD. I sold that gun figuring it was better to shoot my IDPA gun and continue to get better with it. So I have been shooting pins with a 9mm and have not been happy with the results. A 45acp just clears the table better with a lot less pins that just fall over. I even tried a USP 40 custom combat and its still not as good as the 45acp. I have been waiting for the new HK45 to come out and figured I would start shooting it for pins. But I have been eye balling a USP Expert 45 and have about bought one a couple of times. Then I found the 9mm and figured well thats smarter because I shoot more IDPA then I do pins even though I shoot pins monthly. I then thought well I will have a 1911 built for shooting pins and that was the plan until today.

While at the range today a guy showed up and just happened to be there to shoot his USP Expert 45! Since I have never shot one I figured I would shoot his since he offered and I was like WOW! So now I am off to buy a Expert 45. I figure then I have the same gun, trigger and controls for both sports just a different caliber. The 45 does recoil a bit more but a whole lot less then most 45's out there. The HK addiction is so much fun but sure is expensive!

All and all it was an awesome day today, perfect weather and 2 new guns to shoot. I also shot a new rifle and got it all broke in and the new Leupold scope all dialed in. There is nothing better then a fine firearm!

Just thought I would share with everyone. Thanks HK for building such fun toys!!!

Dave

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I have a Elite myself and they are great too. I have to say though that there is nothing more fun then a new HK.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Does the Expert fit in the IDPA box? I wanted to get one in .40S&W, but heard that it is juuuuust too big for the box. I ended up getting a standard USP40 V1 instead. Still waiting for the paperwork though (South Africa).

Anyway, I jealous. Congrats!

L

·
0 Posts
Does the Expert fit in the IDPA box? I wanted to get one in .40S&W, but heard that it is juuuuust too big for the box. I ended up getting a standard USP40 V1 instead. Still waiting for the paperwork though (South Africa).

Anyway, I jealous. Congrats!

the expert fits BARELY into the IPSC box with the lower profile hammer.

the IPSC box length is 8.85, while the IDPA box is 8.75, so probably not :(

by the way; Congratulations on your new Expert! I can share the feeling being a new expert shooter myself. I chose 40S&W; but i hear 9mm's are very scarce. so enjoy the pistol!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
No they don't fit. The ambi safety measures 1.75" wide. IDPA box is 1.625" wide. You would need to remove or swap out the safety lever.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will fit in the IDPA box. The IDPA box will except guns up to 8 3/4"x6" x 1 5/8". The Expert is just under 8 3/4" by about an 1/8". With the hammer down the beavertail is actually the longest point. It is also about 5" in height to the top of the sight, I should be able to use the jetfunnel currently on my standard USP 9mm. Here are some pics.

Dave

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No they don't fit. The ambi safety measures 1.75" wide. IDPA box is 1.625" wide. You would need to remove or swap out the safety lever.
I just measured mine and its only 1.58" wide. The HK catalog states the width of the Expert 40 (mine is a 9mm but should be the same) is 1.26". If you look at hk pro specs on the expert they are acurate.

http://hkpro.com/uspexpert.htm

There is no reason it won't fit in an IDPA box.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok I called the IDPA office. The Expert in all calibers is on the approved list for IDPA and will fit in the box. However here is the catch. If your shooting in SSP you have to start with hammer down and double action first shot and the gun fits in the box no problem. If you shoot it in ESP then you have to fit it in the box in ready condition of fire, which means if your going to shoot it cocked and locked as your ready to fire position then it must fit in the box that way. So if I go ESP with it then the Expert is to long to fit in the box with the hammer cocked, it is right at 9" cocked. They do make a shorter hammer, I am going to call HK to see what that does to it cocked if any. So my options are to shoot it in SSP with a double action first shot or see about changing the hammer out to get it to fit in the box in ESP single action mode or last but not least have HK do a LEM/Match hybrid trigger and shoot it in SSP. So it is a legal IDPA gun but you have to watch the division you put it in.

Dave

Well with changing the hammer to the shorter one it does get it close but as said above it is about a 10th of an inch to long. So I either need to shoot it in DA first shot or have the LEM/Match trigger installed and never have to worry about it again. I need to find one to shoot before I do that to my gun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dave - where do you go for competitions? I'm in napertucky as well - and a buddy of mine just picked up a 45 USPc Tac at JR! Going tonight to pick it up and test drive.

Peet

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shoot at Oak Park club in Plainfield, not to far from Mega Sports and I shoot at Howell which is out in the Yorkville area.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the great response w.r.t. the IDPA box. I can kick my own arse for not getting the Expert!!! Oh well, I'm sure my USP40F will serve me just as well. And, it'll probably be a bit easier to carry day to day should I decide to give my USP40C a rest.

Once again, thanks.

Andre.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts